Cheap :) Medium Format Projector?

Old January 31st 04, 04:52 AM
John Garand

Default Cheap :) Medium Format Projector?

ON 21 Jan 2004 16:40:52 -0700, (Steve Gombosi)
WROTE:

In article ,
Bob Salomon wrote:

Eventually Rollei purchased the Honeywell photographic business (flash,
auto focus patents, etc) and moved the ROA company from NJ to CO.

Too bad they didn't keep making the Strobonars. I've still got a 65D which
works like a charm (even if the batteries are insanely expensive).

Steve

Why not replace the 497 with a rechargeable system - such as:

Honeywell (later Rollei) Permacad system (charger, pack and
battery[s])

Vivitar RB-510 rechargeable battery - fit right in place of the 497

These come up occasionally on that auction site, with the Vivitar
being much rarer than the Permacad (at least over the past 2 to 3
years). On either one count on re-celling the battery.

Or find a 65C w/ AC supply and replace the sub-C Ni-Cad cells (or were
they 4/5ths C - or was that the 65B?), anyway the NiCads are still
available for re-celling.

If you are handy with electronics, or know someone who is, make a
rechargeable 497 replacement using NiCad (or better yet NiMh) cells.
This has been done, including making the plastic "box" with contacts
(but not by me - my skills are limited to re-celling).

Or bite the bullet and get a SunPak 611 (sometimes available pretty
cheaply) where the NC-510 is still (AFAIK) still available and the
packs go usually pretty cheap on that auction site. Same GN as the
big Strobonars and more versatile with varied manual power settings
and the ability to use Alkaline C cells in a real pinch (not
recommended, but when all else fails...).