Labs: prints the size & ratio of D-70 Image

Old September 10th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital
Mike Christie

Default Labs: prints the size & ratio of D-70 Image

Does anyone know of a lab that makes prints the size and aspect ratio
of the image from the D70, and not just the standard film camera
ratios, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 16 x 20, etc.?

If I look at my image in Photoshop as a .psd, it shows 12.53 in x 8.33
in. I'd like to get a print larger that what my letter-sized inkjet
will do. If I have a standard lab (Shutterfly, etc.) do it, I have to
do 10 x 8 or 20 x 16. That means more cropping on the width than I
really want to do. What I'd really like to do is have the image
printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Christie
mike [at] csquared [dot] com
Old September 10th 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
David Azose

Mike Christie wrote:
Does anyone know of a lab that makes prints the size and aspect ratio
of the image from the D70, and not just the standard film camera
ratios, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 16 x 20, etc.?

If I look at my image in Photoshop as a .psd, it shows 12.53 in x 8.33
in. I'd like to get a print larger that what my letter-sized inkjet
will do. If I have a standard lab (Shutterfly, etc.) do it, I have to
do 10 x 8 or 20 x 16. That means more cropping on the width than I
really want to do. What I'd really like to do is have the image
printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Christie
mike [at] csquared [dot] com

I retired 2 years ago from a pro lab in Seattle. What they do is print
on the next larger "standard" size paper but size you print (without any
cropping if that's what you want) to whatever size you want.

In your case, the size paper you would be charged for would be 20x30"
with the image sized 25x16.6" within that paper size. They would trim to
your specifications. The name of the lab is Ivey Imaging. They use a
Durst Lambda to make prints on regular photo paper from digital files.

The lab uses a color managed workflow. They expect that you also work in
a color managed workflow so that what you see on your calibrated monitor
will be close to what they see on their calibrated monitors.
Old September 10th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital
tomm42

On Sep 9, 7:11 pm, Mike Christie wrote:
Does anyone know of a lab that makes prints the size and aspect ratio
of the image from the D70, and not just the standard film camera
ratios, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 16 x 20, etc.?

If I look at my image in Photoshop as a .psd, it shows 12.53 in x 8.33
in. I'd like to get a print larger that what my letter-sized inkjet
will do. If I have a standard lab (Shutterfly, etc.) do it, I have to
do 10 x 8 or 20 x 16. That means more cropping on the width than I
really want to do. What I'd really like to do is have the image
printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Christie
mike [at] csquared [dot] com

8x12 is generally an accepted format, I print all my stuff at home but
I know a couple of labs that offer 8x12s at just a little more than
8x10s. The larger sizes require you to set your image size to the
format you need and print on the next larger size print. so 14.5 x20
to print on a 16x20 sheet. For 16x24 or 16.6x25 you may have to pay
for a 20x30 print. There is 20x24 paper but I wouldn't know how
popular that would be with the mass production studios. It does help
to upres the images to 300ppi or what ever the printer suggests.
Mounting and frames for a 2x3 format is difficult above 8x12, 8x12
generally can be found in stores that do framing or specific frame
shops, but larger mats probably have to be custom cut. Aluminum
channel frames can be bought to specific sizes at framingsupplies.com,
they have wood too, very reasonable prices for frames. My problem is
always finding glass/plexiglass for the frame. Haven't found a good
source yet other than my local hardware strore, and they are
expensive.

Tom

Old September 10th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

On Sep 9, 6:11 pm, Mike Christie wrote:
Does anyone know of a lab that makes prints the size and aspect ratio
of the image from the D70, and not just the standard film camera
ratios, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 16 x 20, etc.?

If I look at my image in Photoshop as a .psd, it shows 12.53 in x 8.33
in. I'd like to get a print larger that what my letter-sized inkjet
will do. If I have a standard lab (Shutterfly, etc.) do it, I have to
do 10 x 8 or 20 x 16. That means more cropping on the width than I
really want to do. What I'd really like to do is have the image
printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Christie
mike [at] csquared [dot] com

The formats you mentioned are not actually film formats per se. Few of
the sizes you mentioned were the aspect for 35mm, the most popular
film format for the past half century. Each film format had its OWN
aspect ratio. Thus there was always a problem

This same problem has occurred for many, many decades. Serious
amateurs who printed their own work used print easels that adjusted so
you could print on various sized papers and leave a desired white
border. In those days a white border was the thing (I won't get into
the technical reason for it). As borderless prints became more
common, life actually got easier, 'cause you could just print the neg
and trim it.

So folks always (or usually) trimmed their prints. One can still trim
photos, with a straight edge and X-acto knife. The only problem is if
you use regular storebought frames. In that case, you need to crop
carefully so the print will fit the frame.

Many folks keep in mind the popular frame sizes when composing the
print. If this is something they want framed, they shoot/compose with
the frame aspect ratio in mind. Otherwise, just shoot, and crop after
seeing the print.

Old October 22nd 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs,rec.photo.digital
p-nutt

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 16:11:08 -0700, Mike Christie wrote:

Does anyone know of a lab that makes prints the size and aspect ratio
of the image from the D70, and not just the standard film camera
ratios, such as 5 x 7, 8 x 10, 16 x 20, etc.?

If I look at my image in Photoshop as a .psd, it shows 12.53 in x 8.33
in. I'd like to get a print larger that what my letter-sized inkjet
will do. If I have a standard lab (Shutterfly, etc.) do it, I have to
do 10 x 8 or 20 x 16. That means more cropping on the width than I
really want to do. What I'd really like to do is have the image
printed as 25 x 16.6. Are there any labs that will do that?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Christie
mike [at] csquared [dot] com

you have the standard 35mm 3:2 ratio and many pro labs such as North American
[www.naphoto.com] can produce several sizes for that.

4x6, 6x9, 8x12, 10x15, 20x30

however..if my math is correct and if your image is the max 6 meg, the size you suggest
would be only 120 ppi which is somewhat marginal - definitely not pro quality.

your 6 meg image would resolve as follows:

4x6 = 500ppi
6x9 = 334 ppi
8x12 = 250 ppi
10x15 = 200 ppi
20x30 = 100 ppi

Old November 28th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Jim Nason

On 2007-09-10 01:57:16 -0400, David Azose said:

Mike Christie wrote:
[...]

Any lab can do this. If not trimming, you also have the option of
getting a matt custom cut to the proper size during framing....

--
jen ... not.. home...//// yahoo... com