How provides hi end scans of E6?

Old October 29th 06, 05:26 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Sam Carleton

Default How provides hi end scans of E6?

I am working on a project in which I am shooting 35mm E6. I am going
to need to get 12 high quality scans to make museum quality 12x18
prints. I see two options:

1: I can learn how to use my Nikon 5000 Coolscan (I am thinking I will
need to buy the $350 SilverFast software and a book or two)
2: I could outsource it to a high end lab.

From what I have learned about scanning, it is a true art form. I get

the impression that it would take me some time to master it, time I
would prefer to spend behind the camera. Considering the limited
number of scans I need, I get the impression that it will also be more
cost effective to outsource it.

So, can anyone recommend a high end pro lab that can give me amazing
scans from my E6 film?

Sam

Old October 29th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
babelfish

In scanning there's no substitute for a real fluid mounted drum scan. Allow
me to quote my colleague Richard Kenward who runs Precision Scanning Service
in the UK:

"All this talk about what is the best scanner makes me smile! Most pro
Photographers I know bought the best lenses, the best camera, carefully
selected the film, went to the lab they thought has the most reliable
processing, stored their precious film carefully all at considerable
cost then what. Yes they cheerfully turn their backs on the best
proven technology for extracting all that wonderful information and
resort to using less than the best method of scanning.

We moved away from using Imacon scanners some years ago simply because
they could not extract all the information, the smoothness left a lot to
be desired, and then there was the digital noise.....not that they were
that bad, just not really good enough. Really good drum scans offer
better optical quality, are pin sharp right across the sheet, scans the
whole frame if required, no pixel smudging or whatever you care to call
it, and need very little spotting so an undamaged file is the result.
No problem with any film so you guys with Kodachromes think drum scans.
OK, so good drum scans do not come for peanuts (not here at any rate)
but perhaps it is as well to take into account all the time saved, plus
not having the investment of a scanner, etc."

There you have it!

John Castronovo
www.technicalphoto.com

"Sam Carleton" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am working on a project in which I am shooting 35mm E6. I am going
to need to get 12 high quality scans to make museum quality 12x18
prints. I see two options:

1: I can learn how to use my Nikon 5000 Coolscan (I am thinking I will
need to buy the $350 SilverFast software and a book or two)
2: I could outsource it to a high end lab.

From what I have learned about scanning, it is a true art form. I get

Old October 30th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Matt Clara

"babelfish" wrote in message
In scanning there's no substitute for a real fluid mounted drum scan.
Allow me to quote my colleague Richard Kenward who runs Precision Scanning
Service in the UK:

You mean, "off of some guy who makes his living doing drum scans,"?

"All this talk about what is the best scanner makes me smile! Most pro
Photographers I know bought the best lenses, the best camera, carefully
selected the film, went to the lab they thought has the most reliable
processing, stored their precious film carefully all at considerable
cost then what. Yes they cheerfully turn their backs on the best
proven technology for extracting all that wonderful information and
resort to using less than the best method of scanning.

Most pros I know made several compromises along the way. I guess your
friend just knows the elite.

We moved away from using Imacon scanners some years ago simply because
they could not extract all the information, the smoothness left a lot to
be desired, and then there was the digital noise.....not that they were
that bad, just not really good enough. Really good drum scans offer
better optical quality, are pin sharp right across the sheet, scans the
whole frame if required, no pixel smudging or whatever you care to call
it, and need very little spotting so an undamaged file is the result.
No problem with any film so you guys with Kodachromes think drum scans.
OK, so good drum scans do not come for peanuts (not here at any rate)
but perhaps it is as well to take into account all the time saved, plus
not having the investment of a scanner, etc."

There you have it!

That's all true, but the diminishing return is left out. You pay a lot more
for a little more. With some research, experience and a decent film
scanner, you can do nearly as well, with every format except for large
format--then you need a drum scanner, but only because it won't fit in the
Nikons.

Old October 30th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
babelfish

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
. ..

That's all true, but the diminishing return is left out. You pay a lot
more for a little more. With some research, experience and a decent film
scanner, you can do nearly as well, with every format except for large
format--then you need a drum scanner, but only because it won't fit in the
Nikons.

You are correct that in many cases it doesn't matter, but there is a
difference. The problem is that when you know how to do something better,
how do you know that you should stop a lesser quality? There's a diminishing
return in every endeavor as you approach the best one can do, but the
original question was about how one could obtain the best scans possible
from film for museum quality prints. If film flatness (which means
sharpness) to the corners is important, then a fluid mount is imperative.
While this is possible on a Nikon, it's a clumsy option that most people
don't bother with.

We use Nikons, Epsons and drum scanners, and there are valid benefits to the
drum. There's no digital ice to distort the image for a drum because you
don't need it. The fluid fills in the scratches and wipes away the dust.
Plus there's a true point light source which yields maximum sharpness with
minimal flare. And because it uses photomultipliers, the dynamic range is
greater and smoother in spite of what Nikon marketing says. Drum scanning
software is also better in most cases. These advantages are just as true for
roll film as for sheets. It's not just resolution because not all pixels are
created equal. A 100MB scan from 35mm on a drum will blow up better than the
same size scan made on a Nikon or Imacon.

One note of caution, however, is that pre-press shops for offset printing
typically make mediocre drum scans for any purpose other than press. In
spite of having expensive equipment, their approach and experience is
different, and high production, over-sharpened CMYK scans is not what this
is about. You need to find someone who scans raw RGB files into a color
managed workflow to see what a good drum scan can do.

john castronovo
www.technicalphoto.com

Disclaimer - Since my shop does drum scanning this may appear to be
marketing for our services, but sharing my knowledge and experience of
thirty plus years can't be done unless I respond to these questions. In fact
we make all kinds of scans and drum scanning is the least profitable when
done right and probably why there are so few people still doing it.

Old October 30th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.photo.film+labs
Philip Homburg

In article g8m1h.15178$DH5.907@trnddc04,
babelfish wrote:
Plus there's a true point light source which yields maximum sharpness with
minimal flare. And because it uses photomultipliers, the dynamic range is
greater and smoother in spite of what Nikon marketing says. Drum scanning
software is also better in most cases. These advantages are just as true for
roll film as for sheets. It's not just resolution because not all pixels are
created equal. A 100MB scan from 35mm on a drum will blow up better than the
same size scan made on a Nikon or Imacon.

It's a pity that there are only very few sites on the net that show the
difference between a good scan on a modern Nikon scanner and a scan of the
same frame on a drum scanner.

It is much easier to spend money on a more expensive scan if you know what
kind of improvement you can expect.