Camera's yeah, first we had wooden, metal, plastic, now cardboard

Old August 2nd 14, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios[_3_]

Default Camera's yeah, first we had wooden, metal, plastic, now cardboard

Στις 2/8/2014 4:23 πμ, ο/η RichA *γραψε:
On Friday, August 1, 2014 7:36:29 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rce=newsletter

Why is it people think such a piece of crap is "fun an educational?" Go out and buy a used film body and 50mm f/2.0 lens. You can get a good working one for $20.00.

Here, you can get a new film body for less than 100 euros-nobody wants
them. Pentax and the like (didn't look properly as I wasn't interested).

Old August 3rd 14, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
wrote:

???? 2/8/2014 4:23 ?, ?/? RichA ??????:
On Friday, August 1, 2014 7:36:29 AM UTC-4, Whisky-dave wrote:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rlds-cutest-di
y-pinhole-camera-kit?ref=NewsJul3114&utm_campaign=Jul+31&utm_medium =email&u
tm_source=newsletter

Why is it people think such a piece of crap is "fun an educational?" Go
out and buy a used film body and 50mm f/2.0 lens. You can get a good
working one for $20.00.

Here, you can get a new film body for less than 100 euros-nobody wants
them. Pentax and the like (didn't look properly as I wasn't interested).

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.
Old August 4th 14, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN

On 8/2/2014 7:29 PM, nospam wrote:

snip

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.

Here's another unanswered question. If I am wrong about it being
unanswered, anyway.

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

--
PeterN
Old August 4th 14, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-03 23:38:39 +0000, PeterN said:

On 8/2/2014 7:29 PM, nospam wrote:

snip

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.

Here's another unanswered question. If I am wrong about it being
unanswered, anyway.

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

Do we still manufacture knitting needles in the USA?
I thought that knitting needle production had been moved to Vietnam &
Nicaragua.
Additionally we don’t have to bother with that outdated past time any
more. We get all the knitted goods & woven fabrics we could possibly
need from Bangladesh & Sri Lanka.

Savageduck

Old August 4th 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PeterN
wrote:

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.

Here's another unanswered question. If I am wrong about it being
unanswered, anyway.

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

how is that even remotely relevant? it's not.

we don't teach electrical engineering students how to design circuits
with vacuum tubes anymore. it's not a skill they'll ever need.

we don't teach computer science students how to operate a card punch
either, because it's not something they'll ever need either.

so why teach photography with film cameras?

look to the future, not the past.
Old August 4th 14, 02:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PeterN
wrote:

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.

Here's another unanswered question. If I am wrong about it being
unanswered, anyway.

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

how is that even remotely relevant? it's not.

we don't teach electrical engineering students how to design circuits
with vacuum tubes anymore. it's not a skill they'll ever need.

we don't teach computer science students how to operate a card punch
either, because it's not something they'll ever need either.

so why teach photography with film cameras?

look to the future, not the past.

A major part of photography is composition and seeing light. A mechanical
shutter especially with slide film can teach a lot about variances in light
and shadow and also what makes a good picture.
It isn't necessary to have the latest electronic wizardry to capture an
image. The essence is still there. Why do you think they still make view
cameras?

Old August 4th 14, 02:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Conway[_2_]

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PeterN
wrote:

film cameras are a complete waste of money, which is why nobody wants
them, other than collectors who have nothing better to do.

get a cheap digital camera, especially a used one, and you can learn a
*lot* more about photography than you ever could from a film camera.

Here's another unanswered question. If I am wrong about it being
unanswered, anyway.

Should we stop manufacturing knitting needles?
Are knitting needles a waste of money.

how is that even remotely relevant? it's not.

we don't teach electrical engineering students how to design circuits
with vacuum tubes anymore. it's not a skill they'll ever need.

we don't teach computer science students how to operate a card punch
either, because it's not something they'll ever need either.

so why teach photography with film cameras?

look to the future, not the past.

Also, a 200 yr old cast iron skillet can still make a steak as well as any
modern frying pan.

Old August 4th 14, 03:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-04 01:57:26 +0000, "Tim Conway" said:

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PeterN
wrote:

[...]

First you select a fine grass fed Angus, and then you butcher it. That
is where you start to “make” a steak. You use the skillet, grill, or
whatever as a way to cook the steak, not “make” it.

Savageduck

Old August 4th 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Conway
wrote:

[...]

then it's a good thing that digital cameras have mechanical shutters.

furthermore, there is *nothing* about a digital camera that precludes
learning about variances in light and shadow.

in fact, digital cameras make it *easier* to learn about that because
the student can try things they otherwise would not have since the cost
to do so is $0 *and* they get instant results.

that is a *huge* boon to learning that is not possible with film.

It isn't necessary to have the latest electronic wizardry to capture an
image.

it may not be necessary, but it greatly helps learning about
photography, from its origins to where it is today and where it's
headed in the future.

refusing to use technology is stupid.

The essence is still there. Why do you think they still make view
cameras?

not very many, they don't.

you aren't seriously suggesting someone learn photography with a view
camera, where film and processing costs add up *very* quickly, are you?
Old August 4th 14, 03:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tim Conway
wrote:

[...]

another bad comparison.