20D NAILS IT!

Old August 31st 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Default 20D NAILS IT!

Bill K wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
You can always count on the 20D to nail the shot!

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953942
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953988

I respectfully submit that it's the person behind the camera who
nailed it as opposed to the camera. Well done and thanks for sharing.
I guess I'm going to have to get up early some morning and sit out on
the dock to catch with resident Great Blue Heron with the D200.
Cheers

Surely you didn't miss the pun...regarding the ACTUAL NAIL sticking out of
this fellows throat...
?

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old August 31st 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
gre

JimKramer wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
Gerrit 't Hart wrote:
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953942
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953988

Why the sudden plethora of long-necked birds?

I don't shoot all long-necked birds .... just the ones with spikes
through their throats.

And why couldn't a different camera have got a similar (if not better) shot?

Don't know. I've never seen shots of long-necked birds with spikes
thorugh their throats taken with better cameras.

How about a shortneck bird with a starfish leg through its throat, same
camera, better lens?

http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/seafish.htm

Jim

how did you put the spike through its throat????
Old August 31st 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Annika1980

Annika1980 wrote:
Joan wrote:
Is anyone doing anything about the spike?

No.

There are two options that have been considered.

1. Leave the bird alone and let nature take it's course. The spike
doesn't seem to bother the bird at all, and it should eventually work
it's way out on it's own.

2. Try to capture the bird and remove the spike. This would prove
quite difficult and would probably traumatize the bird as well as
possibly seriously wounding it further in the attempt. How would one
catch a wild bird, anyway? I suppose they'd have to shoot it with a
tranquilizer gun, but then they'd have to hope the bird didn't fly up
in a tree where it could fall to it's death or where it would be
difficult to retrieve.

As a followup, a TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resource Agency) truck pulled
up in front of our offices about an hour ago. After the guys went
across the street for barbeque, I asked them into my office and showed
them some pics of Spike. They agreed that trying to capture the bird
would only traumatize it and they agreed with option #1 above.

Old September 1st 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joan

Interesting, I would have thought they'd be capable of catching and
releasing wildlife. From what we see and hear about, it happens
frequently all over the world.

--
Joan

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
:

Old September 1st 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Matt Clara

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Bill K wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
You can always count on the 20D to nail the shot!

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953942
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953988

I respectfully submit that it's the person behind the camera who
nailed it as opposed to the camera. Well done and thanks for sharing.
I guess I'm going to have to get up early some morning and sit out on
the dock to catch with resident Great Blue Heron with the D200.
Cheers

Surely you didn't miss the pun...regarding the ACTUAL NAIL sticking out of
this fellows throat...
?

Yeah, he has no taste _and_ he's dense.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 1st 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Bill K wrote:
Annika1980 wrote:
You can always count on the 20D to nail the shot!

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953942
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65953988

I respectfully submit that it's the person behind the camera who
nailed it as opposed to the camera. Well done and thanks for
sharing. I guess I'm going to have to get up early some morning and
sit out on the dock to catch with resident Great Blue Heron with
the D200. Cheers

Surely you didn't miss the pun...regarding the ACTUAL NAIL sticking
out of this fellows throat...
?

Yeah, he has no taste _and_ he's dense.

Turn the oven UP a bit, and the timer DOWN, and I'm sure he'll be tasty and
tender next time...

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 1st 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

Joan wrote:
Interesting, I would have thought they'd be capable of catching and
releasing wildlife. From what we see and hear about, it happens
frequently all over the world.

Who said they were "incapable"??
They merely said (and I agree) that catching it could well introduce new
damage.
Birds don't tend to sit idly by while you grab them. -They flail
away...having no idea that there's actually a large metal thingy sticking
out of their throat, and what they should/shouldn't do as they panick.

Old September 1st 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
MarkČ

MarkČ wrote:
Joan wrote:
Interesting, I would have thought they'd be capable of catching and
releasing wildlife. From what we see and hear about, it happens
frequently all over the world.

Who said they were "incapable"??
They merely said (and I agree) that catching it could well introduce
new damage.
Birds don't tend to sit idly by while you grab them. -They flail
away...having no idea that there's actually a large metal thingy
sticking out of their throat, and what they should/shouldn't do as
they panick.

Oops.
Make that, "panic."

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old September 1st 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill Funk

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:15:58 -0400, Bill wrote:

Matt Clara wrote:

Yeah, he has no taste _and_ he's dense.

The bird...?

:-)

No, the bird has taste; they taste like chicken. :-)
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
Old September 1st 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Frank ess

Matt Clara wrote:

Yeah, he has no taste _and_ he's dense.

The bird...?

:-)

No, the bird has taste; they taste like chicken. :-)

Not exactly: they taste _a lot_ like chicken.

--
Frank ess