Help me choose my first dslr

Old August 14th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Padu

Default Help me choose my first dslr

Hi,

While I'm new to the dslr market, I used to be an advanced amateur 35mm
photographer (I even had my own B&W lab). Let me tell you first what are my
restrictions/desires/hints:

- I own a Minolta Maxxum 7000 and two zoom lenses
- I don't have the money/don't want to spend more than $1000
- I intend to take family/vacation photos, with eventual artistic snapshots,
nothing professional

I've been researching for about a week and right now I'm divided between the
sony A100 and the pentax istDL. The pentax is cheap, so I can buy an
additional lens. From what I've heard, it is a possibility that I can use my
old maxxum lenses and/or buy legacy lenses for specific needs from ebay or
used market.

Nikon D200 is definitely out of my budget... don't try to convince me.

Cheers and TIA

Padu

Old August 15th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Padu

"Cameras"
It seems that Sony is the only choice you have.

So, in your personal opinion which one would you choose:

-Pentax ist*DL
-Nikon D50
-Nikon D70
-Canon Rebel dXT
-Canon EOS 20D
-Sony A100

TIA

Padu

Old August 15th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Craig M

Let me put 2 cents worth in he
I just purchased my first DSLR, went and got the Nikon D50, with the 18-55
lens, and its a great camera, from what I have used of it so far, ISO goes
to 1600, the pentax goes to 3200 but I dont think you need it that high,
noise starts to come into play then, and I used to use a cannon AE-1, and a
few P & S's before the dlsr, get the one gig card, and at hi res over 250
shots, and a rechargable battery to boot, cant be beat, and under the $
1,000 limit you talked about.
.. .

Old August 15th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
SkipM

"Padu" wrote in message
"Cameras"
It seems that Sony is the only choice you have.

So, in your personal opinion which one would you choose:

-Pentax ist*DL
-Nikon D50
-Nikon D70
-Canon Rebel dXT
-Canon EOS 20D
-Sony A100

TIA

Padu

You shouldn't rely on someone else's opinion when facing this large an
expenditure. For instance, my personal choice would be the 20D, because it
fits my hands better than any of the other cameras you list except for the
Nikon D70, and I don't like the feel of it, either. Plus, since I've shot
Canon SLRs for more than 20 years, I'm used to the control layout and I have
a large number of Canon lenses already on hand. Those reasons may be
completely irrelevant to you.
The reason he suggested that the Sony was the only choice for you probably
had something to do with the thought that if you purchase any of the other
cameras you list, you will also have to buy a lens or lenses, which will
push your purchase price over the $1000 limit you mentioned. If you go with
the Sony, your Minolta lenses will work on it.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old August 15th 06, 06:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

Craig M wrote:
Let me put 2 cents worth in he
I just purchased my first DSLR, went and got the Nikon D50, with the
18-55 lens, and its a great camera, from what I have used of it so
far, ISO goes to 1600, the pentax goes to 3200 but I dont think you
need it that high

You don't think he needs it this high?
What makes you think that?

www.pbase.com/markuson

Old August 15th 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Padu

"MarkČ"
Craig M wrote:
Let me put 2 cents worth in he
I just purchased my first DSLR, went and got the Nikon D50, with the
18-55 lens, and its a great camera, from what I have used of it so
far, ISO goes to 1600, the pentax goes to 3200 but I dont think you
need it that high

You don't think he needs it this high?
What makes you think that?

I think he guessed, and guessed right. I don't usually shoot sports or
anything that requires higher speeds. Even when I was a skydiver
photographer I wouldn't go higher than ISO400 or 800. If they (35mm and
digital) are comparable, then I'll probably never go higher than 800.

Old August 15th 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Mitchum

Padu wrote:

Hi,

While I'm new to the dslr market, I used to be an advanced amateur 35mm
photographer (I even had my own B&W lab). Let me tell you first what are my
restrictions/desires/hints:

- I own a Minolta Maxxum 7000 and two zoom lenses
- I don't have the money/don't want to spend more than $1000
- I intend to take family/vacation photos, with eventual artistic snapshots,
nothing professional

I've been researching for about a week and right now I'm divided between the
sony A100 and the pentax istDL. The pentax is cheap, so I can buy an
additional lens. From what I've heard, it is a possibility that I can use my
old maxxum lenses and/or buy legacy lenses for specific needs from ebay or
used market.

Who's telling you that you can use old Maxxum lenses on a Pentax?
Old August 15th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Padu

"Paul Mitchum"

Who's telling you that you can use old Maxxum lenses on a Pentax?

All the reviews I've read so far.

this is one of them:

"Sony Alpha/Minolta-A bayonet lens mount"
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../alpha100.html

They also mention that flash hotshoe is compatible with some minolta
flashes... I have a minolta 4000AF, maybe it is compatible too?

Old August 15th 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Mitchum

Padu wrote:

"Paul Mitchum"

Who's telling you that you can use old Maxxum lenses on a Pentax?

All the reviews I've read so far.

this is one of them:

"Sony Alpha/Minolta-A bayonet lens mount"
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../alpha100.html

They also mention that flash hotshoe is compatible with some minolta
flashes... I have a minolta 4000AF, maybe it is compatible too?

Ah, so you've read that the Maxxum lenses can fit on a *Sony,* not a
Pentax.