Creating true B&W prints from Digital

Old July 27th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

Default Creating true B&W prints from Digital

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:27:38 -0400, "Greg \"_\""

"rafe b" wrote:

That has nothing to do with Darkroom work.
--

And it's still not archival.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old July 27th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 23:34:00 +1000, Graham Fountain
wrote:

So yes, I do shoot B&W film, I agree that it is better than shooting
digital and converting to B&W, but I was looking for an alternative way
of producing a print once a digital image has been obtained, or an
alternative to an enlarger.

It shouldn't be difficult to find a lab in your area that could write
the file to a 4X5 or 6X9 negative.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old July 27th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 18:42:35 +0200, Jakub Roguski
wrote:

Sure, but sometimes I have only DSLR handy, and finally I see that
particular photo has big potential as B&W enlargement.

Then you should be better prepared. (Says the guy who carried a 4x5,a
645 and a 35mm all up Chimney Top).

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old July 27th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

"rafe b" wrote:

That has nothing to do with Darkroom work.
--

And it's still not archival.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net

Short of Dye transfer are any Color prints? "Not"
--
Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com
Old July 27th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

wrote:

Sure, but sometimes I have only DSLR handy, and finally I see that
particular photo has big potential as B&W enlargement.

Then you should be better prepared. (Says the guy who carried a 4x5,a
645 and a 35mm all up Chimney Top).

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net

How high is that? I've carried various 45 cameras up various inclines,
and across a few barren expanses- is this an invite for I lugged my
stuff further and higher than you? One of the worse was the time I
lugged the 45 and the 810 plus film holders,....meters and various
gizmos and of course my Reis pod.

Old July 30th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Graham Fountain

Greg "_" wrote:

How high is that? I've carried various 45 cameras up various inclines,
and across a few barren expanses- is this an invite for I lugged my
stuff further and higher than you? One of the worse was the time I
lugged the 45 and the 810 plus film holders,....meters and various
gizmos and of course my Reis pod.

While I didn't carry much equipment (only my Pentax MZ60 and the wife's
HP R707, and my tripod), one of my worst hill climbing experiences was
when I went to catch a sunset behind Southeast Queensland's Glasshouse
Mountains. I pulled up at a carpark at the base of a hill, with a short
walk ahead of me of about 700m, with a 200m climb. No big deal,
(wouldn't have been 10 years ago anyway), but I am incredibly unfit
these days. Light was rapidly fading, so I went up as fast as I could.
By the time I made it to the top I thought I was about to die of a heart
attack. Anyway, looked at the camera - shot 25 of a roll of 27 crappy
agfa 400 colour film that I had had in for snapshooting earlier in the
day. No worries, I'll just fire off these 3 shots, then load some velvia
for the good stuff. Then it hit me - I was at the top of this hill - the
film was in the car, at the bottom of the hill.
Old July 31st 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Greg \_\

In article
,
Graham Fountain wrote:

Then it hit me - I was at the top of this hill - the
film was in the car, at the bottom of the hill.

That sounds familiar, New mexico 1998 got all the way to the destiny
and no lens.

Old July 31st 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:40:12 -0400, "Greg \"_\""
wrote:

Then you should be better prepared. (Says the guy who carried a 4x5,a
645 and a 35mm all up Chimney Top).

How high is that?

Just a couple of miles. http://www.gsmnp.com/pages/chimney_tops.html

I've carried various 45 cameras up various inclines,
and across a few barren expanses- is this an invite for I lugged my
stuff further and higher than you?

How about steeper ?

One of the worse was the time I
lugged the 45 and the 810 plus film holders,....meters and various
gizmos and of course my Reis pod.

A Reis ? That little thing ? LOL ! Try a Bogen 3051 w/3057 head. Mine
weighs in around 20 pounds. Now add the Zone VI 4X5 with bag, 3
lenses, 10 Hoffman metal film holders, Calumet C2N and so forth. The
645 was that POS by Mamiya. It was quite complete and stayed in my
waste pack along with the Nikkormat FTN. By the time I made it back
down the trail my legs felt like rubber bands that had been stretched
waaaaay too far !

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old July 31st 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
John

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 22:38:29 -0400, "Greg \"_\""
wrote:

Then it hit me - I was at the top of this hill - the
film was in the car, at the bottom of the hill.

That sounds familiar, New mexico 1998 got all the way to the destiny
and no lens.

Same here except I was in Phoenix on Camelback Mountain. Got all the
way up and found out I was out of beer and had to go back down to get
some more.

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
Legacy-photo.com - Xs750.net
Old July 31st 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Raphael Bustin

wrote:

Then you should be better prepared. (Says the guy who carried a 4x5,a
645 and a 35mm all up Chimney Top).

How high is that?

Just a couple of miles. http://www.gsmnp.com/pages/chimney_tops.html

Taken somewhere very near the

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/sawtooth_ridge.html

This was taken with a Ricoh KR5 SLR Yeah,
kinda lame -- but I was counting every ounce
of pack weight. I was only 3 weeks out
of Georgia and had months to go.

I haven't yet figured out how to carry the usual
30-40 lbs needed for multi-day backpacking
plus the extra 20-30 lbs needed for LF photography.

Sherpas?

One of these days I should pose that question to
Jerry Greer or David Muench.

rafe b
www.terrapinphoto.com