Scanning 110 slides

Old March 18th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Scanning 110 slides

I've got mounted 110 format (pocket instamatic) slides of some things
from the 1970s that I'm now interested in scanning. I've got a decent
flatbed (Microtek ScanMaker 4), but the resolution isn't very high for
such small originals. And I've got a perfectly good Nikon 5000 ED.

I've heard there were snap-in adapters you could put the little 110
slides into to show them in a normal slide projector. If I could get
a few of those (if they're removable and reusable) it would be easy to
scan using my good slide scanner. Am I right in remembering such
things existed? Any chance of finding some available *now*?

Any other approaches I've overlooked that are good?
Old March 18th 06, 09:00 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
I've got mounted 110 format (pocket instamatic) slides of some things
from the 1970s that I'm now interested in scanning. I've got a decent
flatbed (Microtek ScanMaker 4), but the resolution isn't very high for
such small originals. And I've got a perfectly good Nikon 5000 ED.

I've heard there were snap-in adapters you could put the little 110
slides into to show them in a normal slide projector. If I could get
a few of those (if they're removable and reusable) it would be easy to
scan using my good slide scanner. Am I right in remembering such
things existed? Any chance of finding some available *now*?

Any other approaches I've overlooked that are good?

Could you just make a custom holder out of cardboard to fit into your
5000 ED?
Bob Williams

Old March 18th 06, 10:49 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
: I've got mounted 110 format (pocket instamatic) slides of some things
: from the 1970s that I'm now interested in scanning. I've got a decent
: flatbed (Microtek ScanMaker 4), but the resolution isn't very high for
: such small originals. And I've got a perfectly good Nikon 5000 ED.

: I've heard there were snap-in adapters you could put the little 110
: slides into to show them in a normal slide projector. If I could get
: a few of those (if they're removable and reusable) it would be easy to
: scan using my good slide scanner. Am I right in remembering such
: things existed? Any chance of finding some available *now*?

: Any other approaches I've overlooked that are good?

I don't know about your specific case, but back when I shot some 110
slides, the mounted slides were in mounts that were the same external
dimensions as normal 35mm slides. The only difference in the mounts was
the size of the hole in the middle. Thus the 110 mounted slides would fit
in a standard slide scanner. You would have to crop the image to the 110
image size, but the scanner would work fine. In fact many of my scanners
tended to store the crop size from one scan to another so if each scan was
oriented the same way it is likely the crop lines would remain the same
for each scan.

Is there some difference in your mounts and scanner that is different from
my experience? If your slides are unmounted you should be able to use some
of the plastic, re-useable mounts with a glass window built in (I found
some that sold for about $.50 each for a box of 20) that would work fine.
You just would be cropping out a white border rather than a black one
since the opening is for a 35mm frame of film. You might even be able to
make a mat that fits the opening with a 110 frame sized hole in the middle
out of thick paper. Then you would return to a black border and each frame
of film would be positioned the same for each scan.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old March 18th 06, 10:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article ,
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

I've got mounted 110 format (pocket instamatic) slides of some things
from the 1970s that I'm now interested in scanning. I've got a decent
flatbed (Microtek ScanMaker 4), but the resolution isn't very high for
such small originals. And I've got a perfectly good Nikon 5000 ED.

I've heard there were snap-in adapters you could put the little 110
slides into to show them in a normal slide projector. If I could get
a few of those (if they're removable and reusable) it would be easy to
scan using my good slide scanner. Am I right in remembering such
things existed? Any chance of finding some available *now*?

Any other approaches I've overlooked that are good?

Gepe makes both snap-in 110 to 2x2" adapters and 2x2" glass mounts for
110. Both are special order items.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Old March 18th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

In article , says...

I've got mounted 110 format (pocket instamatic) slides of some things
from the 1970s that I'm now interested in scanning. I've got a decent
flatbed (Microtek ScanMaker 4), but the resolution isn't very high for
such small originals. And I've got a perfectly good Nikon 5000 ED.

I've heard there were snap-in adapters you could put the little 110
slides into to show them in a normal slide projector. If I could get
a few of those (if they're removable and reusable) it would be easy to
scan using my good slide scanner. Am I right in remembering such
things existed? Any chance of finding some available *now*?

Any other approaches I've overlooked that are good?
Pics: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/
http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
SnapshotAlbum/

David,

Gepe used to make a 2x2 plastic mount, with a receiver window for the 110
mounts. As you stated, they snapped in. I have not seen these in years, but
I'll bet someone (older full-service camera shop?) still has some, and would
be glad to part with them. I do not have any, so I don't have a part #.

Hunt

--
http://NewsGuy.com/overview.htm 30Gb $9.95 Carry Forward and On Demand Bandwidth
Old March 18th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bob Williams writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
I've got mounted 110 format (pocket instamatic) slides of some things
from the 1970s that I'm now interested in scanning. I've got a decent
flatbed (Microtek ScanMaker 4), but the resolution isn't very high for
such small originals. And I've got a perfectly good Nikon 5000 ED.
I've heard there were snap-in adapters you could put the little 110
slides into to show them in a normal slide projector. If I could get
a few of those (if they're removable and reusable) it would be easy to
scan using my good slide scanner. Am I right in remembering such
things existed? Any chance of finding some available *now*? Any
other approaches I've overlooked that are good?

Could you just make a custom holder out of cardboard to fit into your
5000 ED?

Probably; the basic slide holder doesn't seem to interact in any fancy
way with the scanner. Although the sanner *does* know it's there, and
know which holder is there. I'm a little scared to try, and also a
little scared to push my very own source of fluff into my scanner.
But it's at least a fallback position.
Old March 18th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Randy Berbaum writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
[...]

Nope, mine are in the smaller mounts (that fit the 110-format
projector, not that I ever had one).

Is there some difference in your mounts and scanner that is different from
my experience? If your slides are unmounted you should be able to use some
of the plastic, re-useable mounts with a glass window built in (I found
some that sold for about $.50 each for a box of 20) that would work fine.
You just would be cropping out a white border rather than a black one
since the opening is for a 35mm frame of film. You might even be able to
make a mat that fits the opening with a 110 frame sized hole in the middle
out of thick paper. Then you would return to a black border and each frame
of film would be positioned the same for each scan.

As I said in the initial question, mine are mounted.

Gepe apparently still makes an adapter -- the Gepe 7500 -- that takes
a 110 slide and makes it fit a 2x2 projector (and, I hope, scanner).
I've gotten confirmation that Kodak made such adapters also, but
haven't yet obtained any.
Old March 18th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Bob Salomon writes:

In article ,
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

I've got mounted 110 format (pocket instamatic) slides of some things
from the 1970s that I'm now interested in scanning. I've got a decent
flatbed (Microtek ScanMaker 4), but the resolution isn't very high for
such small originals. And I've got a perfectly good Nikon 5000 ED.

I've heard there were snap-in adapters you could put the little 110
slides into to show them in a normal slide projector. If I could get
a few of those (if they're removable and reusable) it would be easy to
scan using my good slide scanner. Am I right in remembering such
things existed? Any chance of finding some available *now*?

Any other approaches I've overlooked that are good?

Gepe makes both snap-in 110 to 2x2" adapters and 2x2" glass mounts for
110. Both are special order items.

Thanks. (The adapter is the Gepe 7500, for anybody else looking). I
found the glass mounts earlier, and that's at least a possible
desperation move, but it's expensive and a lot of work to remount them
all, which I'm hoping to avoid since I'm just scanning, not projecting
repeatedly. Still, it's a fallback I could use if necessary, so it's
useful to know.
Old March 18th 06, 05:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Bob Williams writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
[...]

I got a roll of 35mm returned from Kodak with three or four of the
images mounted in cardboard with 110-size holes in them. I don't
remember why or of what. Maybe the film was damaged in their
processing and they saved the middle of the frames.

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't the place for an 8MP camera with
macro/closeup/extension tubes to suit, and a good light source.

How much resolution can you get in a 110-size image? Even if you are
able to wring grain-inspection resolution out of the originals, what
have you got? Apply the greatest scanning/photoing to it and there you
have -- sharp grain, blurry subject matter, ne? Stuff that small may
only stand up if it's viewed for short intervals, like the 8mm moving
picture frames. You ever inspected any of those? Even the ones
captured sharp at some node in the multiple-trajectory motions of
ordinary movie-making are just approximations of what was before the
lens.
http://www.fototime.com/019DAB89B5CFA05/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/628EC7E2410C4C6/orig.jpg

--
Frank ess

Old March 19th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Frank ess" writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
Bob Williams writes:

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
[...]

Good thought. I'd probably try that before I tried remounting the
slides, for example. And I've got (as of Friday) a 10 megapixel DSLR
and I've got a macro lens and extension tubes and so forth. That
doesn't give me ICE, though. But they've been in their plastic
holders, maybe they haven't gotten very dirty.

How much resolution can you get in a 110-size image? Even if you are
able to wring grain-inspection resolution out of the originals, what
have you got? Apply the greatest scanning/photoing to it and there you
have -- sharp grain, blurry subject matter, ne? Stuff that small may
only stand up if it's viewed for short intervals, like the 8mm moving
picture frames. You ever inspected any of those? Even the ones
captured sharp at some node in the multiple-trajectory motions of
ordinary movie-making are just approximations of what was before the
lens.
http://www.fototime.com/019DAB89B5CFA05/orig.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/628EC7E2410C4C6/orig.jpg

I've inspected lots of 8mm (and 16mm) movie frames; while editing.

The issue isn't so much the size as the *film*; whatever resolution is
the most its worth scannin that *film* at, that'll still be true even
for the very small pieces of it.