Store in San Diego

Old February 12th 05, 05:51 PM
Peer K

Default Store in San Diego

Hi,

A friend of mine will be visiting San Diego. I've convinced him to buy a
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM lense for me (they are extremely expensive
here in Scandinavia). He is staying at the Comfort Inn Gas Lamp (app. by
Horton Plaza) and wants me to find a store nearby.

Any suggestions? I've found Ritzcamera.com - they appear to have a store
nearby but they want $1999 for that lense (B&H only want $1649) so I was
hoping to find a store that is not that much more expensive.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Old February 12th 05, 10:35 PM
DFS

Hi,

A friend of mine will be visiting San Diego. I've convinced him to buy a
Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM lense for me (they are extremely expensive here
in Scandinavia). He is staying at the Comfort Inn Gas Lamp (app. by Horton
Plaza) and wants me to find a store nearby.

Any suggestions? I've found Ritzcamera.com - they appear to have a store
nearby but they want $1999 for that lense (B&H only want $1649) so I was
hoping to find a store that is not that much more expensive.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Not likely that you'll find a store in SD that sells at anywhere near the
B&H price. Plus, you will pay California sales tax on the purchase as well.
New York mail order shops sell huge volume at low margins. Retail shops
with high rent, expensive employees and much lower volume just cannot
compete for the most part.

I'm in the Northwest, but assume that the situation is the same in the
Southwest. I can never find a local shop that comes even close to mail
order prices.

DS

Old February 12th 05, 11:35 PM
Peer K

DFS wrote:

Not likely that you'll find a store in SD that sells at anywhere near the
B&H price. Plus, you will pay California sales tax on the purchase as well.
New York mail order shops sell huge volume at low margins. Retail shops
with high rent, expensive employees and much lower volume just cannot
compete for the most part.

I'm in the Northwest, but assume that the situation is the same in the
Southwest. I can never find a local shop that comes even close to mail
order prices.

Thanks for your reply.. Not the answer I was hoping for ;-) But I
suspect you're right.

I'm just a bit too paranoid to pay for it over the net and have it sent
to a hotel. Don't know if that's justified?
Old February 12th 05, 11:52 PM
KK

$1470.00 at Nelson's Photo in the Little Italy district. That is including
tax.

Nelson's Photography
1909 India Street
San Diego, CA
619-234-6621

KBK

. ..

Old February 14th 05, 08:54 PM
Peer K

Tom Pfeiffer wrote:

"KK" wrote in message news:XEwPd.93198$mt.54451@fed1read03...
$1470.00 at Nelson's Photo in the Little Italy district. That is
including tax.

For the IS version? New? WOW!

Tom P.

Yes, that's a pretty amazing price! I've sent them an email.. I can let
you know when I get a reply?

Thanks for the tips btw.