My opinions on my newly acquired used 100 MM Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar.

Old June 9th 04, 03:16 AM
Jos. Burke

Default My opinions on my newly acquired used 100 MM Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Planar.

I had a recent itch where I just had to buy a 100 mm Hassy lens. I have
an 80 mm CB that was included in my 501CM Kit a few years ago and its a very
nice lens and sharp (Though supposedly less than the CFi/CFE by many varied
opinions!--I'll not go there again!!) so a 100 mm was rather an unlikely
choice focal length wise. I also have a 50 mm T* Distagon 150 mm CFi and a
250 Sonnar I recently got for $250. (Bargain of the year!!).
I have always considered my lenses to be very sharp and contrasty. I
tried this super clean Black 100 mm T* lens and I'm in awe of the
sharpness. My first film used is AGFA APX 100 and some full length
portraiture. I also shot a couple of rolls at f22 as well for landscape
shots. I am so impressed at the sharpness wide open and fully stopped down
as well. Is this typical of the 100 mm Planar? This lens seems to be a
stellar performer!!

Old June 9th 04, 04:57 AM
Bob Monaghan

yes, quoting Stuart Phillips at http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/hassylenses.html

would just comment that the 100mm is well known (and advertised to be) the
sharpest lens in the range, and a sharper choice for a standard than the
80mm, especially if you want to copy etc. However, you lose a stop, and
it's slightly longer. end-quote:

my understanding is that short telephoto lenses (in the 100 to 120mm range
for 6x6cm) are a "sweet spot" for designers of SLR lenses

on 6x6cm, the 100-120mm range compositions are also nice, esp. for
environmental portraits; the kowa macro 110mm is one of my favorite MF
lenses, despite its simple design, so I agree with you that it might be
useful to look at such 100 to 120mm lenses as supplemental or alternatives
to the usual (cheaper) normal lenses, esp. if higher resolution is a goal

enjoy!

bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old June 9th 04, 11:53 PM
Vincent Becker

on 6x6cm, the 100-120mm range compositions are also nice, esp. for
environmental portraits; the kowa macro 110mm is one of my favorite MF
lenses, despite its simple design, so I agree with you that it might be
useful to look at such 100 to 120mm lenses as supplemental or alternatives
to the usual (cheaper) normal lenses, esp. if higher resolution is a goal

I fully agree, and would extend this piece of advice to the Mamiya C system.
I just bought a 105mm DS and it is an excellent lens, both for its sharpness
and the compositions it allows.

Vincent Becker
Photographie et appareils anciens - Photography and classic cameras
URL:http://www.lumieresenboite.com
Merci de passer par mon site pour les réponses par courriel
Old June 10th 04, 04:34 AM
EDGY01

the 100mm is a fantasticly sharp lens. It is often cited as one of the three
top lenses in the Zeiss lineup for Hasselblad.

That lineup:

The 38mm Biogon
The 100mm
The 250mm f/5.6 Superachromat

For the 100, we're talking sharpness and no distortion. I think most Hassy
users would be better served with it than the normal 80.

dan
Old June 10th 04, 07:47 PM
Q.G. de Bakker

Bob Monaghan wrote:

my understanding is that short telephoto lenses (in the 100 to 120mm range
for 6x6cm) are a "sweet spot" for designers of SLR lenses

The trick is in the fact that those lengths for that format do not need to
be telephoto (not even short) or wide angle lenses. They can be plain old
"lenses".
The standard 80 mm Planar, for instance, is in fact a very slight
retrofocus. The 100 mm lens does not need to be, since that length is long
enough not to need tricks to avoid the SLR mirror.