id-11 stock vs id-11 diluted

Old May 1st 04, 01:00 AM
Stefano Bramato

Default id-11 stock vs id-11 diluted

I'm now experimenting in developing my negatives with id-11. Usually
I use the ilford hp5 and fp4 films.

Is it better to develop id-11 in stock solution or in diluted
solution (1:1) as most (as i read for short time in google) I read?
I'm temptating to develop in stock to reuse for about 5 times,
because usually I store 4-5 films until i develop in spiral tanks.
And of course, i develop 4-5 rolls at the same time.
(please sorry for my italian...)

Please, suggestions?

Thanks!!

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!
Old May 4th 04, 07:52 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

I did both extensively in the past.
You get better tones and density by using undiluted and re-using, but better
acutance (sharpness) by diluting.
You pays your money and you takes your pick.

Old May 5th 04, 01:26 AM
Stefano Bramato

I did both extensively in the past.
You get better tones and density by using undiluted and re-using, but better
acutance (sharpness) by diluting.
You pays your money and you takes your pick.

Until now I've only used id-11 diluted 1+1.
I'm awaiting for the next sesion of developing to try id-11
undiluted.

I was surprised to obtain fantstic tone and acutance using this
developer and fuji neopan 400. Better results than the hp5 I think.
neopan and id-11 is a new revelation for me.
But My Rolleiflex with Planar has expressed the maximum from this
developer and the fp4.

Other suggestions are welcome. Now I'm working to try and try (same
old rule: try and retry...)

Thanks!!
Stefano

--
Non è bello cio che è bello figuriamoci cio che è brutto!
Old May 6th 04, 12:19 AM
Roman Sonnleitner

I was surprised to obtain fantstic tone and acutance using this
developer and fuji neopan 400. Better results than the hp5 I think.
neopan and id-11 is a new revelation for me.

Yep, Neopan 400 is great stuff - while I like TriX, HP5+ or APX400,
Neopan always seems to be slightly better (very subjective, I know);
since it is my favorite film, I've tried it in lots of developers:

EI 250, Rodinal 1+50, 9:30 minutes at 20°C (agitate constantly for 30
sec. then once every minute) - VERY sharp, high acutance, and in
medium format, acceptable grain.

EI 320, Calbe A49 1+1, 14 min at 20°C (constant agitation for first
min., then once every minute) - great for portraits, very smooth,
creamy skin-tones, fine grain, not particularly sharp.

EI 320, PyrocatHD 1+1+100, 13 min. at 21°C (pre-wash, 1 min. constant
agitation, then once every 3 min.) - very good highlight definition,
good acutance/apparent sharpness, finer grain than Rodinal.

EI 400, Barry Thornton's Metol-2-Bath (see: www.barrythornton.com), 4
+ 4 minutes in A and B at 21°C - fine grain, good highlight
definition, very high acutance, apparent sharpness and resolution of
fine detail - my current favorite;

I've also tried NP400 in XTOL, ID11 1+1, Emofin and Microphen (my two
least favorite combos), and it seems to bring out the specific
properties of any dev. very well.

Roman