Do I need Nikon Capture

Old January 12th 05, 12:05 AM
Anker Berg-Sonne

Default Do I need Nikon Capture

I have downloaded a trial version of Nikon Capture and also bought
Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. I really like the APE3 NEF filter with
the histograms for R, G, and B, and have found it easy to take a NEF
file and adjust it. I also really like the fact that APE automatically
starts when the USB cable is attached.

Nikon Capture seems somewhat redundant, with the exception of
lens-specific vignette correction. That doesn't seem enough for me to
cough up the $90 for Nikon Capture.

Any opinions?

Thanks/Anker
Old January 12th 05, 02:12 AM
Bob

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:05:29 -0500, Anker Berg-Sonne
wrote:

I have downloaded a trial version of Nikon Capture and also bought
Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0. I really like the APE3 NEF filter with
the histograms for R, G, and B, and have found it easy to take a NEF
file and adjust it. I also really like the fact that APE automatically
starts when the USB cable is attached.

Nikon Capture seems somewhat redundant, with the exception of
lens-specific vignette correction. That doesn't seem enough for me to
cough up the $90 for Nikon Capture.

Any opinions?

Thanks/Anker

I never saw a need for it either...

Old January 12th 05, 02:32 AM
Gary Haygood via PhotoKB.com

I have Capture but only looked at it for doing captures from my laptop, but never have.

Old January 12th 05, 02:32 AM

Old January 12th 05, 02:32 AM
Gary Haygood via PhotoKB.com

OOPS

Old January 12th 05, 11:59 PM
paul

Gary Haygood via PhotoKB.com wrote:

I have Capture but only looked at it for doing captures from my laptop, but never have.

That is kind of a cool feature though I don't know how often I'd use it.
The idea is you connect the camera to the laptop and can controll all
the settings and the pictures download directly to the computer so you
can see the full image & keep shooting till your HD is full. I think
there are other programs to do this with. You can download Capture to
try out for 30 days I think.
Old January 13th 05, 12:53 AM
paul

Ed Ruf wrote:

Batch Processing of NEF files?

That sounds useful!
Old January 13th 05, 01:13 PM
Anker Berg-Sonne

Nikon Capture camera control always reports that no camera is
attached. Any clue what the problem may be?

Anker

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:08:34 -0500, Ed Ruf
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:05:29 -0500, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Anker
Berg-Sonne wrote:

Nikon Capture seems somewhat redundant, with the exception of
lens-specific vignette correction. That doesn't seem enough for me to
cough up the $90 for Nikon Capture.

Remote-control?
Batch Processing of NEF files?
----------
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 )
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Old January 13th 05, 02:39 PM
Graham Holden

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:13:46 -0500, Anker Berg-Sonne
wrote:

Nikon Capture camera control always reports that no camera is
attached. Any clue what the problem may be?

The camera can operate in two modes down the USB cable; one is just as a
storage device (i.e. a very expensive card-reader), the other is as a
camera. You're probably in "storage" mode.

Try going to the setup menu (the spanner) and set the "USB" entry to "P"
(PTP) instead of "M" (mass storage).

Old January 13th 05, 05:57 PM
paul

wrote:

Nikon Capture camera control always reports that no camera is
attached. Any clue what the problem may be?

The camera can operate in two modes down the USB cable; one is just as a
storage device (i.e. a very expensive card-reader), the other is as a
camera. You're probably in "storage" mode.

Try going to the setup menu (the spanner) and set the "USB" entry to "P"
(PTP) instead of "M" (mass storage).

Also the initial release of the software is buggy, download the update,
I had that problem too.