tablet for drawing in PS

Old November 22nd 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
www.kevinkienlein.com

Default tablet for drawing in PS

I am looking towards buying a drawing tablet for use with Photoshop etc. Does anyone have any suggestions brand wise?

I found some on EBay, the brands we UC-LOGIC, Wacom, DigiPro, Hanvon, Aquila, Graphire, GENIUS, Medion, Cool-iCam, CyberTablet, Nisis Easypen, Art Pad, Adesso, Acecad, Aiptek, E 3 WORKS, KB Gear,

Being new to this gizmo I would like some feedback also, on what size is best to get, 4x6, 6x8, or larger. Some have wireless mice and some are stand alone, is one better than the other, or should just get a stand alone tablet? What about pressure levels, is this important?

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated... kk

Old November 22nd 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
MarkČ

"www.kevinkienlein.com" wrote in message

I am looking towards buying a drawing tablet for use with Photoshop etc.
Does anyone have any suggestions brand wise?

I found some on EBay, the brands we UC-LOGIC, Wacom, DigiPro, Hanvon,
Aquila, Graphire, GENIUS, Medion, Cool-iCam, CyberTablet, Nisis Easypen,
Art Pad, Adesso, Acecad, Aiptek, E 3 WORKS, KB Gear,

Being new to this gizmo I would like some feedback also, on what size is
best to get, 4x6, 6x8, or larger. Some have wireless mice and some are
stand alone, is one better than the other, or should just get a stand
alone tablet? What about pressure levels, is this important?

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated... kk

Wacom Intuos, preferably 6x8. 6x8 gives enough room for fine detail, but
isn't so big that your hand movements have to be exaggerated.
Remember...the tablet surface itself represents your screen...not merely
movement, like a mouse. If you move your pen to the upper right corner of
the tablet...you'll be pointing to the upper right corner of your screen.
With the Intuos line of Wacom tablets, you can also specify a portion of the
screen to be represented by the tablet...for times when you want even
greater motion control.

While Wacom's cheaper Graphire often comes with a mouse, the tablet itself
isn't as sensitive as the Intuos.
You'll be hard-pressed to do better than Wacom for mainstream tablets.

MarkČ

Old November 22nd 06, 01:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Tony Polson

"www.kevinkienlein.com" wrote:

I am looking towards buying a drawing tablet for use with Photoshop etc. Does anyone have any suggestions brand wise?

No-one ever got fired for buying Wacom. Graphire is a Wacom item.

Old November 22nd 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John McWilliams

Tony Polson wrote:
"www.kevinkienlein.com" wrote:
I am looking towards buying a drawing tablet for use with Photoshop etc. Does anyone have any suggestions brand wise?

No-one ever got fired for buying Wacom. Graphire is a Wacom item.

I bought the cheapo Graphire about 5 or 6 years ago, and have used it
ever since, daily. It came with software that was useful at the time,
but I don't even recall what it was/is.

I use their mouse daily, also, in place of the Mac mice, which, when I
got it, didn't have scroll wheels, multiple buttons, etc, whereas the
Graphire mouse is highly configurable.

--
John McWilliams

Old November 23rd 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Randy W. Sims

www.kevinkienlein.com wrote:
I am looking towards buying a drawing tablet for use with Photoshop etc.
Does anyone have any suggestions brand wise?

I found some on EBay, the brands we UC-LOGIC, Wacom, DigiPro, Hanvon,
Aquila, Graphire, GENIUS, Medion, Cool-iCam, CyberTablet, Nisis Easypen,
Art Pad, Adesso, Acecad, Aiptek, E 3 WORKS, KB Gear,

Being new to this gizmo I would like some feedback also, on what size is
best to get, 4x6, 6x8, or larger. Some have wireless mice and some are
stand alone, is one better than the other, or should just get a stand
alone tablet? What about pressure levels, is this important?

Any suggestions or comments would be most appreciated... kk

As others have said, Wacom is the only game in town. It just depends on
your usage and budget as to which model you prefer. I've used the 4"x5"
Graphire for years, and I haven't run into any problems at all with the
size. I do like the Intuos' improved sensitivity, but for most photo
retouching it hasn't been a problem for me. If I had money to burn (and
wasn't burning it on other photo & lighting equip) I would get an Intuos
6"x8".

Randy.