[OT] PBS - NOVA. Neutrinos (Tue EST 20:00 [8 PM])

Old February 20th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default [OT] PBS - NOVA. Neutrinos (Tue EST 20:00 [8 PM])

FYI. Cheers, Alan.

Next on NOVA: "The Ghost Particle"

http://www.pbs.org/nova/neutrino

Broadcast: February 21, 2006 at 8 p.m. ET/PT
(NOVA airs Tuesdays on PBS at 8 p.m. Check your local listings as
dates and times may vary.)

In this program, NOVA probes the secret ingredient of the cosmos:
swarms of invisible particles that fill every cubic inch of space
and just may explain how the universe was created. Trillions of
ghostly neutrinos move through our bodies every second without us
noticing a thing. Yet without them the sun wouldn't shine and the
elements that make up our world wouldn't exist. This program
explores the 70-year struggle so far to understand the most elusive
of all elementary particles, the neutrino. NOVA accompanies
scientists into the laboratory, revealing astonishing footage of
bizarre experiments.

Here's what you'll find on the companion Web site:

ARTICLE & INTERVIEW

The Producer's Story
Filmmaker David Sington shares seven rules for making good TV
out of complex topics.

Dancing With Neutrinos
In this intimate interview, the late astrophysicist John Bahcall
recalls what it felt like to be vindicated after four decades.

SLIDE SHOW & TIME LINE

Awesome Detectors
In this slide show, see how bigger is definitely better when it
comes to apprehending elusive neutrinos.

Case of the Missing Particles
Follow the history of daring proposals and meticulous
experiments that led to a surprising breakthrough in physics.

PODCASTS

Subscribe to the NOVA podcast to download three audio pieces about
neutrino science, and hear other stories on a wide range of
fascinating science topics.

Also, Links & Books, the Teacher's Guide, the program transcript,
and more.

http://www.pbs.org/nova/neutrino

Old February 21st 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Alan Browne wrote:

FYI. Cheers, Alan.

Next on NOVA: "The Ghost Particle"

http://www.pbs.org/nova/neutrino

Broadcast: February 21, 2006 at 8 p.m. ET/PT
(NOVA airs Tuesdays on PBS at 8 p.m. Check your local listings as
dates and times may vary.)

In this program, NOVA probes the secret ingredient of the cosmos:
swarms of invisible particles that fill every cubic inch of space
and just may explain how the universe was created.

Is this the unexplained 'dark matter' that makes up 90% of the mass of
the universe? From what I have read on the subject - not that much,
mind - the known or visible mass is insufficient to prevent the universe
from ceasing to expand, and then collapsing on itself, and the only way
the math works to fit the observed behavior is to postulate the presence
of hitherto undetected mass.

Mindbending stuff.

Colin D.
Old February 21st 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Colin D wrote:

Is this the unexplained 'dark matter' that makes up 90% of the mass of
the universe? From what I have read on the subject - not that much,
mind - the known or visible mass is insufficient to prevent the universe
from ceasing to expand, and then collapsing on itself, and the only way
the math works to fit the observed behavior is to postulate the presence
of hitherto undetected mass.

Dark matter is partly (very small part) neutrinos. No idea of the
amount but if neutrinos make up less than 1% of DM I would not be surprised.

DM is about 23% of the mass of the universe, 73% is "dark energy" (which
is the same as mass for the purpose of the expansion problem). The rest
is what stars and planets and such are made of.

If gravitons (messenger particles for gravity) do in fact exist, and
they're flying around at c between every bit of mass in the universe and
every other little bit of mass in the universe, then these massless
photons could account for a hell of a lot of the "dark energy". That's
my take, so it's probably dead wrong.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old February 21st 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Colin D wrote:

[...]

In general, I agree with that. I have an almost religious belief in the
conservation of energy, so I believe that the universe will have to collapse
eventually, because the matter that was created by the initial big bang,
must necessarily have enough gravitational pull to bring everything back to
the same point again. If there isn't enough matter to do that, then it must
be because there's stuff out there that we haven't discovered yet.......

Old February 22nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote:

In general, I agree with that. I have an almost religious belief in
the conservation of energy, so I believe that the universe will have
to collapse eventually, because the matter that was created by the
initial big bang, must necessarily have enough gravitational pull to
bring everything back to the same point again. If there isn't enough
matter to do that, then it must be because there's stuff out there
that we haven't discovered yet.......

Thoughoughly enjoyed the show... and you'll be glad to know that
"conservation of energy" was one of the first things mentioned and
provided an early clue that something seemed wrong regarding particle
decay .. the first hint that neutrinos existed.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.