[SI] Shoot-In, "Timing" Comments

Old October 27th 06, 07:20 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Nadvornick

Default [SI] Shoot-In, "Timing" Comments

"Mardon" wrote:

Ken Nadvornick
http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/69122635
Boy! For B&W it's sure hard to beat film. Great shot! Smack on
with the mandate. If this wasn't posed, what did that guy say when
your flash went off? Wow! I like what appears to be frost on the
bus shelter. The only thing I don't like about this photo is the
reflection of the flash. To my eye, the reflection is distracting
and does not add to this image as it sometimes can. I'm going to
have to try more B&W. I really like this image.

Thanks for the very generous review!

Agreed that it's hard to beat film for b&w. Too bad we're forced by
circumstances to show only digitized images here.

On the original print that notice on the shelter wall shows an easily
legible title and subtitle. Under a 10x loupe the negative shows legible
fine print. And the contact proof sheet frame just glows with rich
tonality. Unfortunately, none of this survives a 100 dpi scan displayed on
a monitor. Two completely different animals, I'm afraid.

The frost on the shelter is actually a pre-frost dew. The temp at the time
the photograph was made was in the upper 30s F (about 3 C). I don't think
the air temp quite dropped to freezing later that night, but it was close.

I knew the flash reflections were a problem that could have been easily
altered in PS. Well, in The Gimp anyway. But under my personal rules of
engagement, modifying or removing them would have violated the Prime
Directive. Meaning that the image would have then crossed the line from
being a photograph to being a graphic arts illustration. Since I was
intending to present a photograph, the reflections stayed.

(Please note that these are *my* self-imposed rules, valid only for me.
Everyone else is, of course, free to interpret and present their images as
they see fit.)

Thanks for your in-depth critique. I enjoy the fact that you're not simply
saying only nice things about each picture, but are also including
criticism. It's the criticism, not the compliments, we learn from.

(A final note to Alan Browne: The reason I chose to use a flash in the dark
was specifically to force the background to complete black in order to
remove the pesky "clutter" that would have otherwise shown. And you thought
I wasn't listening... g)

Ken

Old October 28th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Ken Nadvornick wrote:

(A final note to Alan Browne: The reason I chose to use a flash in the dark
was specifically to force the background to complete black in order to
remove the pesky "clutter" that would have otherwise shown. And you thought
I wasn't listening... g)

The shot is so effective in isolating the subject, environment and sense
of time that I didn't even think in terms of flash. Just, "cool shot!"

I was looking, however, for his shaddow and then it dawned on me that it
was a flash lit shot (the two refelctions in the shelter).

This reminds me of a stage scene where everything is dark except the
subject isolated under a high spot or two.

The "other" flash technique is of course to keep the shutter open longer
(tripod) to record background lights along with the subject. But as
shot, terrific.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.