Film Pre-Exposure?

Old May 10th 04, 11:03 PM
Dan Quinn

Default Film Pre-Exposure?

Is anybody using pre-exposure when takeing pictures? I know it
requires multiple exposure capability but can be done, at least
for one frame, in advance of the actual picture takeing.

I've been lazy up till now but think the added shadow density and
gain of a stop or two in EI might be worth the extra effort.

What about technique? Will a plastic bag over the lens and a three
or four stops down exposure do the job? Dan
Old May 11th 04, 05:35 AM
Mike King

Press photographers used to "shoot the sky" to effect this. Exposure should
be around 4-5 stops less than middle gray (obviously you need to test this
procedure).

I also have plans somewhere for a camera mod using grain of wheat lamps to
preflash film in roll cameras, one of the cameras modified was a M-3.

Gives a real 1-2 stop boost in shadow detail. Threshold effect. Get
enough photons in those really dark areas to print. It looks better than
inky black shadows or half-baked dodging.

One can also post flash film by hanging it in a dark (real dark not near
dark) darkroom and use a #3 safelite to expose the film.

--
darkroommike

----------
om...

Old May 11th 04, 02:52 PM
dr bob

"Dan Quinn" wrote in message
om...
Is anybody using pre-exposure when takeing pictures? I know it
requires multiple exposure capability but can be done, at least
for one frame, in advance of the actual picture takeing.

I've been lazy up till now but think the added shadow density and
gain of a stop or two in EI might be worth the extra effort.

What about technique? Will a plastic bag over the lens and a three
or four stops down exposure do the job? Dan

Dan:

The technique works well in some circumstances when the shadow values are
really off the scale and your visualization indicates they would enhance the
final print. Such a scenario as a beach scene where the subject has greatly
shadowed areas compared to the brightly lit "other" side(s). I have metered
a little gray card I carry around in the ol' bag but almost any printed
medium can be used as middle gray. Rack the focus out and make the exposure
as you suggest (3 or 4 stops down) then expose the subject. Develop
"normally". I have used this on roll film where it is difficult to alter
development per frame.I do have a couple of prints made from negatives
produced with this technique and will send you one email (650x650) for
brevity if you wish.

Truly, dr bob.

Old May 11th 04, 04:14 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

(Dan Quinn) wrote in message . com...

Is anybody using pre-exposure when takeing pictures? I know it
requires multiple exposure capability but can be done, at least
for one frame, in advance of the actual picture takeing.

I've been lazy up till now but think the added shadow density and
gain of a stop or two in EI might be worth the extra effort.

Generally this is not a good idea. It lowers contrast in the shadows,
just where you need it. Lens designers have been striving for decades
to reduce flare....so why the hell do you want to add it?

Wrong. The technique, implemented by shooting the sky at 4-5 stops
below meter reading, is often used to add detail in the shadow areas
without affecting the highlights. A uniform increase of 1 unit of
exposure value in Zone 1 yields 2 or Zone 2. Zone 2 becomes 2 1/2.
Zone 3 becomes 4 1/4. By the time you are at Zone 8, the affect is only
1/128th additional light, not noticeable to the human eye. Flare, on
the other hand, is a lens affect, not an exposure affect.

What about technique? Will a plastic bag over the lens and a three
or four stops down exposure do the job? Dan

Put the plastic bag over your head...

Michael, such passive-aggresive or anti-social behavior is not helpful.
Nor is it funny.

Francis A. Miniter

Old May 11th 04, 08:12 PM
Michael Scarpitti

(Alexis Neel) wrote in message . com...
(Michael Scarpitti) wrote in message
Put the plastic bag over your head...

Follow your own advice, Scarcrappi.

As for the question, yes it can be done, and there are many reasons to
do so, but what are yours? What are you trying to achieve by doing
so?

Alexis

www.alexisneel.com

This is folly. Nothing to be gained except ruined shadow contrast.
There are better ways, such as compemsating devlopment, that will
accomplish your goal better.

Quit listening to morons.
Old May 12th 04, 01:23 AM
Francis A. Miniter

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
(Alexis Neel) wrote in message . com...

(Michael Scarpitti) wrote in message

Put the plastic bag over your head...

Follow your own advice, Scarcrappi.

As for the question, yes it can be done, and there are many reasons to
do so, but what are yours? What are you trying to achieve by doing
so?

Alexis

www.alexisneel.com

This is folly. Nothing to be gained except ruined shadow contrast.
There are better ways, such as compemsating devlopment, that will
accomplish your goal better.

Quit listening to morons.

Michael, if the detail was not recorded in the shadows to begin with, no
amount of compensating development can put it there. That is why a
pre-exposure can be extremely useful.

Francis A. Miniter