NIKON digital with full frame for under $1000?

Old August 31st 04, 09:15 PM
J Stryker

Default NIKON digital with full frame for under $1000?

When do you guys think we'll see a full frame sensor digital camera
from Nikon in the $1000 and under range? They've got the D70 which
seems to be a winner but damn that lens multiplication factor. I was
fooling around with some of my nikon manual focus and it would be nice
to be able to shoot with that lens with the full frame in order to do
that i'd have to get a pretty extreme super wide like a 14mm and i
don't think nikon makes one. I imagine there'd be a lot of distortion
with a 14mm shot on the D70 compared to say a 20mm nikon on film. Any
opinions on this?

Regards,
Jay
Old August 31st 04, 10:00 PM
columbotrek

Don't know. But applying what I know from the evolution of computers to
cameras, unless you have a work flow reason which compels you to buy
now, you will be better off waiting for what you want. Who would have
thought in 1982, the year I bought my first 1Mhz 64K RAM computer,
todays computer would run with a 3+ Ghz CPU, have a Gig or more of RAM
and 80 Gigs of HD. And for the same price I paid in 1982 unadjusted for
inflation. So for me that means I wait for a 24 X 36 format sensor with
excellent specs. It should have the dynamic range of B&W film with good
S/N out to at least iso 1600. And it won't cost the down payment for a
house. Never happen? I can still read Bill Gates saying who would ever
need a computer with more than 640K of RAM?

Old August 31st 04, 10:21 PM
Matt Clara

"J Stryker" wrote in message
om...
When do you guys think we'll see a full frame sensor digital camera
from Nikon in the $1000 and under range? They've got the D70 which
seems to be a winner but damn that lens multiplication factor. I was
fooling around with some of my nikon manual focus and it would be nice
to be able to shoot with that lens with the full frame in order to do
that i'd have to get a pretty extreme super wide like a 14mm and i
don't think nikon makes one. I imagine there'd be a lot of distortion
with a 14mm shot on the D70 compared to say a 20mm nikon on film. Any
opinions on this?

Regards,
Jay

Probably before the decade is out...
That may be overly optimistic, though.
Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 1st 04, 04:22 AM
Skip M

"J Stryker" wrote in message
om...
When do you guys think we'll see a full frame sensor digital camera
from Nikon in the $1000 and under range? They've got the D70 which
seems to be a winner but damn that lens multiplication factor. I was
fooling around with some of my nikon manual focus and it would be nice
to be able to shoot with that lens with the full frame in order to do
that i'd have to get a pretty extreme super wide like a 14mm and i
don't think nikon makes one. I imagine there'd be a lot of distortion
with a 14mm shot on the D70 compared to say a 20mm nikon on film. Any
opinions on this?

Regards,
Jay

I'm guessing it won't be very soon, since Nikon hasn't shown any inclination
to do so, at any price, unlike Kodak and Canon. And the 12-24 and 10.5mm
lenses show a commitment to the 1.5 crop factor, like Canon's 18-55, 17-85
and 10-24 show they're going to stick to their 1.6 crop for non pro grade
cameras. I'm not entirely convinced that the new 20D is a full on pro
camera, despite Canon's claims to the contrary. (Sorry about the thread
shift, just venting...)
I've been wrong before, and Nikon could have a D1x up their collective
sleeve just waiting for Photokina. But, if they do, it sure won't be under
$1000

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old September 1st 04, 11:42 PM
Gordon Moat

J Stryker wrote:

When do you guys think we'll see a full frame sensor digital camera
from Nikon in the $1000 and under range?

2008

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio