[SI] Shoot-In: "Weather" has arrived.

Old June 30th 06, 10:52 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default Shoot-In: "Weather" has arrived. Response

Walter:
Thanks for that, Walter - I confess to being rather flippant and not
spending as much time looking for clues about your image and it's
weather relevance. I appreciate your comments and it was very
interesting to hear about this effect, which I have never seen here in
sunny Oz...

Duncan:
Again, I was too short and flippant - I like your shot, but wanted moe
of the forground, or wanted it to be more obviously weathered. I'm not
a fan of photoshopping, but ere is one instance where maybe a little
posterising or excess sharpening or whatever, in that area might have
drawn more attention to the link.

Dave:
I know I said i didn't want to discuss it, but i'm curious, was the
flare deliberate or just unavoidable..? (O:

Thanks to all respondents for not taking me too seriously! Ken's
treatise was much better, IMO!

PS - here was my shot, posted far too late so it missed the cut:

www.marktphoto.com/WEA_Mark_Thomas_old.jpg

It's an archive shot, so isn't really in the spirit of the challenge,
and should be lambasted accordingly! I can take it.. (O:

Old June 30th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in news:1151661125.871871.212540
@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

[...]

Actually, it went into my spam folder and I missed it (but yeah,
mostly because it was later) - it'll be going up shortly.

- Al.

--
To reply, insert dash in address to match domain below
Online photo gallery at www.wading-in.net
Old June 30th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote:

PS - here was my shot, posted far too late so it missed the cut:

www.marktphoto.com/WEA_Mark_Thomas_old.jpg

I like it. Everyone can feel the chill around that misty spiderweb.
The BW image is appropriate for the grey dull chilling atmosphere
almost the kind of image that rusts your shutter

The other weather image that didn't get submitted to weather is
Al's misty cemetery from a couple weeks ago.

Well done

w..

Old June 30th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Duncan Chesley wrote:

On 30 Jun 2006 02:52:05 -0700, wrote:

Duncan:
Again, I was too short and flippant - I like your shot, but wanted moe
of the forground, or wanted it to be more obviously weathered. I'm not
a fan of photoshopping, but ere is one instance where maybe a little
posterising or excess sharpening or whatever, in that area might have
drawn more attention to the link.

LOL More of the background! Oh well. The difficulty in PS was that if
I punched up the clouds to be more dramatic, I lost the shingles into
the shadow. And vice versa. I didn't want to violate the Rulz by
taking the image apart. Then I'd really have a storm to weather.

Rulz are made to be broken.

Thanks very much, Mark, for the comments, short and long. It is very
useful for me to hear from folks.

To return the favor, in your shot I especially like the very subtle
green in an otherwise monchromatic shot. It's a familiar look here in
the North Woods in our non-stop rain or in the winter. It's what makes
the current mandate rather challenging. The juxtaposition of the fence
with the otherwise curved lines in the web and the branches is a
little jarring.

But I really think you should have stood out in the rain longer
waiting for the eensie weensie spider to finish those outer two
circles. :-)

Nice catch of the web, I like how the branches in the background are
similarly twisted & wild. I didn't even notice the fence. What lens was
used? Got a bit of the ring effect bokeh thing going on there but I know
that can just be the result of lighting conditions.
Old June 30th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Mark

I accuse you falsely the number of unique colours in your image is
18410. I still like it just more impressed now

w..

Old June 30th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dave:
I know I said i didn't want to discuss it, but i'm curious, was the
flare deliberate or just unavoidable..? (O:

I wish I could say it was deliberate cause I think it adds to the shot. But
at that point in my photo carrier (term used loosely) I had no idea what
lense flare was. I saw what I thought was a cool snap shot, composed and
shot the pic never gave the flare a thought.

Dave

Old July 1st 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Paul Furman wrote:
To return the favor, in your shot I especially like the very subtle
green in an otherwise monchromatic shot. It's a familiar look here in
the North Woods in our non-stop rain or in the winter. It's what makes
the current mandate rather challenging. The juxtaposition of the fence
with the otherwise curved lines in the web and the branches is a
little jarring.

But I really think you should have stood out in the rain longer
waiting for the eensie weensie spider to finish those outer two
circles. :-)

Nice catch of the web, I like how the branches in the background are
similarly twisted & wild. I didn't even notice the fence. What lens was
used? Got a bit of the ring effect bokeh thing going on there but I know
that can just be the result of lighting conditions.

Thanks folks - it's one of my favourite shots, and looks a treat when
printed. And yes, it's colour, not monochrome.. I'm pretty sure it
was shot on my trusty old Pentax 50/1.8 on Sensia 100 slide film, but I
have to sheepishly admit there is a slim chance it was shot on my
rather mediocre Ricoh 28-80... (O;