how do you take panarama photos with the fz30

Old December 16th 05, 07:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Default how do you take panarama photos with the fz30

doest seem to be a dedicated panorama feature/function , like im admittedly
use to ???

Old December 16th 05, 09:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

corks wrote:
doest seem to be a dedicated panorama feature/function , like im
admittedly use to ???

Well, I have the FZ5 and other cameras, but I've never used a dedicated
panorama feature. I'm usually taking 3 - 7 picture panos, so I expose and
take the central image, then expose on the centre but position for the
right image, expose on the centre and take the 2nd right image etc. I
suppose using the manual exposure setting might be easier. For joining
images, I most often use AutoStitch:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

David

Old December 16th 05, 03:25 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:57:53 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

[]
Much easier to turn on exposure lock before taking the first
picture. Then all will be the same. Then you have to remember to
turn it off.

Where is exposure lock on the FZ5? I looked through my manual and
didn't see it.

My general practice with panos is to go into manual mode, pick an
aperture (usually wide open or stopped down slightly to f/4), and
adjust shutter until the histogram looks reasonable.

-dms

Don was referring to the Nikon 8400 which I also own. On the Panasonic
FZ5, you can either hold the shutter half-pressed, or use the manual
exposure technique you mentioned.

David

Old December 16th 05, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:25:53 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
Daniel Silevitch wrote:
On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 06:57:53 -0500, Don Wiss
wrote:

[]
Much easier to turn on exposure lock before taking the first
picture. Then all will be the same. Then you have to remember to
turn it off.

Where is exposure lock on the FZ5? I looked through my manual and
didn't see it.

My general practice with panos is to go into manual mode, pick an
aperture (usually wide open or stopped down slightly to f/4), and
adjust shutter until the histogram looks reasonable.

-dms

Don was referring to the Nikon 8400 which I also own. On the Panasonic
FZ5, you can either hold the shutter half-pressed, or use the manual
exposure technique you mentioned.

Got it, thanks. I think I remember reading somewhere that the FZ30 has
an AE lock button, and I must have mapped that onto the FZ5.

I should note that for simple panoramas, the software that comes with
the FZ5 (and other FZs), PanoramaMaker, does a reasonable job, and can
even do OK when you forget to lock the exposure.
This shot:
http://ri22.uchicago.edu/~dmsilev/Mi...s/Image12.html
was stitched together from 3 individual photos, and since I forgot to
take the camera out of auto mode, all the exposures were different.

-dms
Old December 16th 05, 11:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Nice work David!

Old February 7th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

In article
,
"corks" wrote:

doest seem to be a dedicated panorama feature/function , like im admittedly
use to ???

I find using a tripod is advised.

Make sure each successive image overlaps the previous by about half.

Set the Exposure Sensor to wide so a light or dark patch doesn't put one
frame out of sync.

I suspect that the Exposure Lock (to right of Viewfinder) risks over or
under exposing especially as you toward or away from the sun.

I've had good results with Canon's PhotoStitch software. I have
downloaded it from Canon in the past, because the current version I have
is later than the version that was bundled with my previous S1IS camera,
but for the life of me I can't find anything now. You may have to call
Canon and ask for a 'replacement' copy. Or updated version from the v3.1
that came with your camera (if you get my drift)

Keep the zoom at 50mm or bigger, wide angle makes it more difficult to
merge.

--
Nigel
(I came into this world with nothing and still have most of it left)
Old February 7th 06, 08:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.zlr

Nig wrote:
[]
I've had good results with Canon's PhotoStitch software. I have
downloaded it from Canon in the past, because the current version I
have is later than the version that was bundled with my previous S1IS
camera, but for the life of me I can't find anything now. You may
have to call Canon and ask for a 'replacement' copy. Or updated
version from the v3.1 that came with your camera (if you get my drift)

[]

You could also try the free AutoStitch softwa