Rewinding mid-roll with empty battery (EOS-300)

Old July 14th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Arild P.

Default Rewinding mid-roll with empty battery (EOS-300)

Is there a way to rewind a roll of film in a Canon EOS-300 when the
battery is (almost) empty?
I have 4 shots left, but unable to shoot any more due to the flashing
LCD display battery indicator, and the mid-roll rewind button doesn't
work either.
There must be some juice left since the indicator flashes (and AF
works), but apparently not enough to rewind/wind.

I've bought a digital SLR (EOS-350D) to replace it, so I don't feel
like shelling out the cash for a new set of CR-2 batteries (they're
expensive here) if there's another way to do this.

Old July 14th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
jeremy

"Arild P." wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a way to rewind a roll of film in a Canon EOS-300 when the
battery is (almost) empty?
I have 4 shots left, but unable to shoot any more due to the flashing
LCD display battery indicator, and the mid-roll rewind button doesn't
work either.
There must be some juice left since the indicator flashes (and AF
works), but apparently not enough to rewind/wind.

I've bought a digital SLR (EOS-350D) to replace it, so I don't feel
like shelling out the cash for a new set of CR-2 batteries (they're
expensive here) if there's another way to do this.

You could try to borrow one from someone else's camera--just long enough to
rewind.

Old July 14th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Arild P." wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a way to rewind a roll of film in a Canon EOS-300 when the
battery is (almost) empty?
I have 4 shots left, but unable to shoot any more due to the flashing
LCD display battery indicator, and the mid-roll rewind button doesn't
work either.
There must be some juice left since the indicator flashes (and AF
works), but apparently not enough to rewind/wind.

I've bought a digital SLR (EOS-350D) to replace it, so I don't feel
like shelling out the cash for a new set of CR-2 batteries (they're
expensive here) if there's another way to do this.

I'm not familiar with this particular camera, but in general, you could clip
lead the correct voltage into your battery compartment from an external
power supply just long enough to rewind the film, or you could go into a
dark closet (or changing bag) and remove the film from the camera without
rewinding it, and feed it back into the cartridge by hand.

Old July 14th 06, 07:03 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Fred Anonymous

"Arild P." wrote in message
ups.com...
Is there a way to rewind a roll of film in a Canon EOS-300 when the
battery is (almost) empty?
I have 4 shots left, but unable to shoot any more due to the flashing
LCD display battery indicator, and the mid-roll rewind button doesn't
work either.
There must be some juice left since the indicator flashes (and AF
works), but apparently not enough to rewind/wind.

I've bought a digital SLR (EOS-350D) to replace it, so I don't feel
like shelling out the cash for a new set of CR-2 batteries (they're
expensive here) if there's another way to do this.

Hello Arild.

If you have your film processed by a shop / minilab then see if it will lend
you some batteries in order to get the film out. Shops and labs often have
part-used batteries to hand.

Regards, Ian.

Old July 14th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Arild P.

Thanks for all the good suggestions.
I managed to rewind the film by connecting some wires from a toy's
battery compartment, giving out the correct 6V. Crocodile clips sure
come in handy sometimes ;-)

Old July 15th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
William Graham

"Arild P." wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the good suggestions.
I managed to rewind the film by connecting some wires from a toy's
battery compartment, giving out the correct 6V. Crocodile clips sure
come in handy sometimes ;-)

You must be posting from Australia....Here in the US, we call them alligator
clips.......

Old July 15th 06, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Ken Hart

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Arild P." wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for all the good suggestions.
I managed to rewind the film by connecting some wires from a toy's
battery compartment, giving out the correct 6V. Crocodile clips sure
come in handy sometimes ;-)

You must be posting from Australia....Here in the US, we call them
alligator clips.......

(Nit-picking mode ON)
Actually... there is a difference between alligator and crocodile clips.
Alligator clips have a pivot/axle in the middle. You squeeze the handle end
and the teeth end opens up. Crocodile clips have the pivot at the end. The
advantage of croc clips is that the teeth remain more parallel than
alligator clips. Usually croc clips are larger and have more grip to them.
(Nit picking mode OFF)
Ken Hart

Old July 15th 06, 02:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
no_name

Ken Hart wrote:

"William Graham" wrote in message

"Arild P." wrote in message
groups.com...

Thanks for all the good suggestions.
I managed to rewind the film by connecting some wires from a toy's
battery compartment, giving out the correct 6V. Crocodile clips sure
come in handy sometimes ;-)

You must be posting from Australia....Here in the US, we call them
alligator clips.......

(Nit-picking mode ON)
Actually... there is a difference between alligator and crocodile clips.
Alligator clips have a pivot/axle in the middle. You squeeze the handle end
and the teeth end opens up. Crocodile clips have the pivot at the end. The
advantage of croc clips is that the teeth remain more parallel than
alligator clips. Usually croc clips are larger and have more grip to them.
(Nit picking mode OFF)
Ken Hart

Changing bag. Probably costs as much as a set of batteries, but won't
run out of juice anytime in the near future.

Anyone shooting film ought to have one in their kit. Dead batteries
aren't the only reason jammed film might need to be extracted without
exposing it.

BTW - crocodile clip

http://www.mpja.com/pictures/11992.jpg

alligator clip