Non-Canon photo papers for PIXMA iP8500?

Old April 8th 05, 03:39 PM
measekite

Taliesyn wrote:

measekite wrote:

Taliesyn wrote:

Ron Cohen wrote:

I much prefer using Office Depot (Konica), Red River Ultra Pro or
Ilford Gallerie from Sam's over the Kodak Ultima I have on hand.

Haven't tried any of the above. Tried some on eBay (some very good,
some not that good). My favorite right now is Costco's Kirkland
Professional
Glossy. Prints great, Looks great, feels great, priced great - about
7 cents (Canadian) per 4x6.

How do the results compare with Canon Photo Paper Pro?

Why are you asking me a question you can answer yourself? You bought the
Kirkland paper months ago. Print something. I know OEM ink is expensive,
but you made that choice. Now you can't afford to even run a test. Why
do you keep praising a printer you've never used? On the other hand I
emptied half a cartridge and lots of paper last week doing tests. Are
you mainly here to debate theoretical points, repeat quotes others
have stated, or actually trade useful printing experiences with inks
and paper? I've seen nothing so far outside of being a general "pain
in the neck" to everyone.

-Taliesyn (even he has his limits on patience!)

I will be making a post shortly having done the above. I am touting the
Canon Printer, all of this time, because I have used it in full
accordance with the manufacturer's primary recommendations. The reason
I ask others, including you, for your opinions is for you subjective
choices. Emperical observations are all subjective. Hey some guys like
fat ugly girls with pimples and get turned on! So what is your beer? ;-)

Old April 8th 05, 03:57 PM
Oliver Costich

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:45:10 GMT, measekite
wrote:

Taliesyn wrote:

Ron Cohen wrote:

I much prefer using Office Depot (Konica), Red River Ultra Pro or
Ilford Gallerie from Sam's over the Kodak Ultima I have on hand.

Haven't tried any of the above. Tried some on eBay (some very good,
some not that good). My favorite right now is Costco's Kirkland
Professional
Glossy. Prints great, Looks great, feels great, priced great - about 7
cents (Canadian) per 4x6.

What is the paper setting to use when printing on Costco/Kirkland paper?

Phot Paper Plus Glossy, like it says on the instruction sheet.

Not just because of the problems you mention, but because it isn't
moisture resistant whereas the other paper are. However, I have
gotten some really nice prints using Kodak Ultima, but not with any
of the recommended settings. It's been a while since I last used it
and don't remember the settings used at the time. As I get time I'm
going to experiment with some of my remaining Ultima (five packages
left) and document the settings. I think that I used glossy paper
setting with my iP4000 and possibly plain paper settings with my
i950. Plain paper definately won't work with the iP4000 since that
setting uses pigmented black and that would cause very noticeable
bronzing.

Exactly as you stated, I too got some excellent results with
Kodak Ultima, but not with the recommended settings. My printer
worked well using OEM inks set to Photo Paper Pro. I believe
that's the only setting I can get my iP5000 to print at 9600 dpi.
But it failed when using non-OEM inks. As such, any paper with
such a narrow margin of tolerance isn't worth the trouble. There
are far better, more user friendly papers. So far no one's mentioned
Fuji papers, another Kodak Film competitor. As I'm always game for
trying new papers, I should pick up a sampler pack or something. Are
those days gone when companies sent you samples? ;-) . . .

-Taliesyn

Old April 8th 05, 04:00 PM
Oliver Costich

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:39:47 GMT, measekite
wrote:

Ron Cohen wrote:

I much prefer using Office Depot (Konica),

Since you are pretty sure that Konica makes the Office Depot paper do
you have any idea who makes the Costco/Kirkland paper and to what
specification. Some say it is Ilford Gallerie Photo Glossy and others
have mentioned Konica.

It's made in Switzerland, which points to Ilford. It also gets
excellent results using the Ilford-supplied profiles.

Red River Ultra Pro or Ilford
Gallerie from Sam's over the Kodak Ultima I have on hand. Not just because
of the problems you mention, but because it isn't moisture resistant whereas
the other paper are.

What do you mean by being moisture resistant?

However, I have gotten some really nice prints using
Kodak Ultima, but not with any of the recommended settings. It's been a
while since I last used it and don't remember the settings used at the time.
As I get time I'm going to experiment with some of my remaining Ultima (five
packages left) and document the settings. I think that I used glossy paper
setting with my iP4000 and possibly plain paper settings with my i950. Plain
paper definately won't work with the iP4000 since that setting uses
pigmented black and that would cause very noticeable bronzing.

Do you know what the High Resolution Paper Setting on the IP4000 uses?
And what exactly does Canon mean by High Resolution Paper as opposed to
a high quality plain paper?

Old April 8th 05, 04:52 PM
measekite

wrote:

Taliesyn wrote:

Ron Cohen wrote:

I much prefer using Office Depot (Konica), Red River Ultra Pro or
Ilford Gallerie from Sam's over the Kodak Ultima I have on hand.

Haven't tried any of the above. Tried some on eBay (some very good,
some not that good). My favorite right now is Costco's Kirkland
Professional
Glossy. Prints great, Looks great, feels great, priced great - about 7
cents (Canadian) per 4x6.

What is the paper setting to use when printing on Costco/Kirkland paper?

Finally printed some. My instruction sheet in the batch I just
purchased also suggested Canon Photo Paper Pro. Results were excellent.

Old April 8th 05, 04:54 PM
measekite

wrote:

Ron Cohen wrote:

I much prefer using Office Depot (Konica),

Since you are pretty sure that Konica makes the Office Depot paper do
you have any idea who makes the Costco/Kirkland paper and to what
specification. Some say it is Ilford Gallerie Photo Glossy and others
have mentioned Konica.

It's made in Switzerland, which points to Ilford. It also gets
excellent results using the Ilford-supplied profiles.

How do you get the Ilford profiles and install them into the Canon
Driver so they come up on the menu?

Old April 9th 05, 02:14 AM
Oliver Costich

wrote:

Ron Cohen wrote:

I much prefer using Office Depot (Konica),

Since you are pretty sure that Konica makes the Office Depot paper do
you have any idea who makes the Costco/Kirkland paper and to what
specification. Some say it is Ilford Gallerie Photo Glossy and others
have mentioned Konica.

It's made in Switzerland, which points to Ilford. It also gets
excellent results using the Ilford-supplied profiles.

How do you get the Ilford profiles and install them into the Canon
Driver so they come up on the menu?

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...ES/default.asp
has instructions for use with Photoshop and Elements.. I believe that
some other editing software can use profiles too.