A truly HORRIFIC tsunami picture

Old January 1st 05, 07:25 PM
Zico

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in message

"Mxsmanic"
"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number writes:

Thank you for posting this image.
People need to understand the enormity of this tragedy, and if even it

is
posted on the cover of PLAYBOY...I would appreciate it, simply because
people need to be confronted with REALity these days, rather than the
candy-coated versions so many of these quasi-sensitive phonies insist

upon.

Thank you again for this link.

I agree. This sort of image makes the magnitude of the disaster much
easier to grasp.

If someone needs a photo to grasp 120 thousand plus people dying
something is missing.

The experience ? ;-)

Old January 1st 05, 07:56 PM
William Graham

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
I guess ths is the type of images that were unsuitable for publication.
I've read papers and websites, and the ~130,000 death toll seemed
difficult to comprehend, but I guess it's true that one image is worth
a thousand words, or more. Now I can imagine the massive death toll.
[WARNING : VERY, VERY DISTURBING!]

http://img145.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...uumiita4ft.jpg
[WARNING : VERY, VERY DISTURBING!]

Is it just me, or do others have issues with photos like this one, posted
on a site that asks you to "rate this image?" Yes, I understand that,
regardless of subject, one can analyze a photo on its technical and
artistic merits, but just because you *can* do that doesn't mean you
*should.*

I don't fault the original poster, who did warn that it was a very
disturbing thing to view. But the context (the site where it was posted)
just seems way-wrong to me. Way way wrong. Expecially so close on the
heels of the tragedy. Ah, the wonders of the age of the Internet. No time
to ponder responsibility, just post it quick before somebody else does. No
ethics involved, because ethics are to be decided by the viewer, and to
not post would imply censorship.

But again, I'm not taking to task the OP for posting it here. After all, I
apparently found it interesting enough to want to follow the link and see
what it was all about, so there's some relevance to the newsgroup. But to
display the photo on a page with advertising, and with this caption
underneath the photo-

"Rate this image! 3697 people have rated this image, and the average
rating is 3.88."...

Makes you wonder what people were rating it for, and what it would have
taken to get a higher rating.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Well, one can always hope that posting such images will incite some people
to send money to the area relief funds. - In this respect, it is better to
post them sooner, than later......

Old January 1st 05, 08:01 PM
William Graham

"Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote in message

"Mxsmanic"
"Mark²" mjmorgan(lowest even number writes:

Thank you for posting this image.
People need to understand the enormity of this tragedy, and if even it
is
posted on the cover of PLAYBOY...I would appreciate it, simply because
people need to be confronted with REALity these days, rather than the
candy-coated versions so many of these quasi-sensitive phonies insist
upon.

Thank you again for this link.

I agree. This sort of image makes the magnitude of the disaster much
easier to grasp.

If someone needs a photo to grasp 120 thousand plus people dying
something is missing.

But the photos can make it more real....When I was 10 years old, I went to
the movies and saw a Movietone News clip of bull dozers pushing
skeleton-like bodies into an open trench at a Nazi death camp.....That clip
is still burned into my memory, and I am 69 years old today. No amount of
words could ever replace that newsclip in my memory.......

Old January 1st 05, 08:34 PM
William Graham

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Mike Jacoubowsky writes:

Is it just me, or do others have issues with photos like this one, posted
on
a site that asks you to "rate this image?" Yes, I understand that,
regardless of subject, one can analyze a photo on its technical and
artistic
merits, but just because you *can* do that doesn't mean you *should.*

It was probably posted there just to give it wider exposure, since it
probably won't ever be published by the media.

I don't fault the original poster, who did warn that it was a very
disturbing thing to view. But the context (the site where it was posted)
just seems way-wrong to me. Way way wrong. Expecially so close on the
heels
of the tragedy. Ah, the wonders of the age of the Internet. No time to
ponder responsibility, just post it quick before somebody else does. No
ethics involved, because ethics are to be decided by the viewer, and to
not
post would imply censorship.

Exactly. I'm totally opposed to censorship. If you don't want to see
the photo, don't look. But withholding information just to avoid
offending your delicate sensibilities is not acceptable. If you must
censor content, do it at the entrance to your PC, not at the exit of
someone else's PC.

Yes.....The main excuse of all censurers throughout history was, "It's just
for the good of the people." It's amazing that, in this late day and age,
they are still using that excuse........

Old January 1st 05, 09:21 PM
Aguyathome

Hi all, I also think the photo was disturbing indeed but needed to be seen,
by adult people at least.
We all try to imagine the vastness of the distruction there but I think
noone without preceding experiences in disasters can truly come near the
real situation. So a photo does help.
As for the point made in the last message, here are my two cents.
As a long-term human rights activist I've come across discussions like these
many times. Every part has its reasons and fierce patrioctical feelings or
equally felt pacifist ideas can flame the discussion. I have long ago, in my
conscience, settled on a practical way to take part on such arguments. I've
taken the Human Rights Declarations as a non-trespassable line against which
to check every action. If it agrees with HRD, it's ok, if it doesn't agree,
it is questionable (not absolutely wrong, look, but surely questionable...)
So I wouldn't see killing thousands of people *better* than killing tens of
thousands, or object to the latter more in perspective than object to the
former... Every single life and every single person counts and has to be
preserved, no matter the effort it may take on our part. That's my thought,
anyway. Now we should all do what we can to help those unfortunate people,
and not forget all the others in so many countries (not counting our own
neighborood...) whose tragedies we do not know from the media.
Best wishes to all.
Sergio La Marca
Italy

The photo should be seen by those who can handle viewing it. This is a terrible
tragedy and as awful as it may be, this photo shows how terrible things really
were, and gives you a real understanding of how so many thousands of good
people lost their lives. It's the worst single human tragedy that I know of
that has taken place in my 41 years on the planet, but these things do happen
as much as we all wish that they never would. Steering clear of all such images
will not make it go away, and only makes it easier to wipe away from our
memories in a few days and go back to life as usual.

So far as the "rating" at the bottom of the screen goes, I'm sure it's not a
sick attempt at humour, but most likely a standard component used for all
photos uploaded to that particular website.

The world needs to pull together and give these poor people anything, and
everything that they might need in the coming weeks and years. Just think, even
people who may have big the "big wigs," successful, and pillars of society, if
lucky enough to be alive, have probably lost everything and are as poor if they
have been homeless for their entire lives. It isn't likely that many of them
had any sort of insurance or safety net to help them in the time of such an
unforseeable event.

Take care,
JD
Let's all do something, anything to help.

Old January 1st 05, 09:22 PM
Jim Redelfs

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

Is it just me, or do others have issues with photos like this one, posted on
a site that asks you to "rate this image?"

I'm sure it's not JUST you, but I suspect your reaction may be shared by a
minority of those that viewed the disturbing image.

I admit that I was SLIGHTLY disgusted that the image was accompanied by an
invitation to RATE the photo. I quickly dismissed that fact by my assumption
that the "rating" thing accompanies all images on that site.

I read only a few replies prior to adding my own, so who knows what I'll read
next. I do, however, take exception to the insensitive clod that proudly
announced he'd "killfiled" you for your VERY understandable reaction - some of
which I share.

JR