Which Maxxum lenses would you recommend?

Old November 7th 04, 05:50 PM
Lee Howard

Default Which Maxxum lenses would you recommend?

Hi all-

In anticipation of the new Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Digi-SLR, I'm
trying to read up on the lenses that are available that will work with
this camera. I've been shooting film with a SRT101 and a XD11 and
sadly won't be able to use the wonderful lenses I've collected...

What I'd like it something comperable to what I have now:

1) 50mm MD/1.2 RokkorX - Very nice for night shooting and getting very
close up on subjects. Also seems to impart some sort of warmth to
images.
2) 45mm MD/2.0 Rokkor Pancake - Small lens, amazingly sharp.
3) 100mm MD/2.4 Rokkor - Great lens for portaiture.
4) 70-210/4.0 MD Zoom - Great zoom.

I took a lot of time to read up on these lenses and they've served me
well. Now it seems I'll need to read up on what lenses are out there
for the Maxxum that can give me comperable quality. I'd like to
cherry-pick the best of the Maxxum lenses that can give me the same
palatte as the lenses above. Was there a "golden" series of Maxxum
lenses?

I'd also be interested to know what I can expect price-wise
approximately. The joy of my other Minolta lenses was how cheap they
were. I'm hoping the Maxxum lenses are a little undervalued as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks very much for the assistance.

Lee
Old November 7th 04, 07:12 PM
Alan Browne

Lee Howard wrote:

Hi all-

In anticipation of the new Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Digi-SLR, I'm
trying to read up on the lenses that are available that will work with
this camera. I've been shooting film with a SRT101 and a XD11 and
sadly won't be able to use the wonderful lenses I've collected...

What I'd like it something comperable to what I have now:

Hi Lee,

First point, as I'm sure you're aware, is the crop factor (1.53x). As such,
there are few one to one replacements. Inconvenient. So let's look at lenses
that will give aprox. the same field of view.

1) 50mm MD/1.2 RokkorX - Very nice for night shooting and getting very
close up on subjects. Also seems to impart some sort of warmth to
images.

Closest match would be the 35mm f/2, alas more than a stop slower than your
lens. OTOH, at moderate sensitivity, (ISO 200 - 400) you can regain that stop
with little perceptible increase in noise ... and no increase in grain on a
digital camera.

There is a faster lens, the 35mm f/1.4, but it is slightly less sharp, and
certainly more expensive than the f/2.

2) 45mm MD/2.0 Rokkor Pancake - Small lens, amazingly sharp.

28mm f/2. Not as small as the 45mm. No idea about sharpeness other than the
rating on photodo of 4.1 which is pretty good, but not stunning.

3) 100mm MD/2.4 Rokkor - Great lens for portaiture.

85 f/1.4 It will be a bit long, but it is a very good portrait lens on film,
and should be great on digital ... if you have the room to use it.

You might try a 50mm f/1.7 or 50 f/1.4 instead for portraits on the digital and
get use to working a little closer.

4) 70-210/4.0 MD Zoom - Great zoom.

Bummer. (The AF version of that lens has a great rep, I can only assume the MD
is as good if not better). I say bummer as there is no lens that will replace
that converted FL. The 35-105 is a possibility but will leave you a bit short
and it isn't in the classs of the 70-210 f/4 regarding sharpness.

I'll be using my 28-70 f/2.8 and 80-200 f/2.8 to cover that range (and then
some), but that is not total convenience... (but is blistering performance for
zooms).

I took a lot of time to read up on these lenses and they've served me
well. Now it seems I'll need to read up on what lenses are out there
for the Maxxum that can give me comperable quality. I'd like to
cherry-pick the best of the Maxxum lenses that can give me the same
palatte as the lenses above. Was there a "golden" series of Maxxum
lenses?

There are several magnificent Maxxum lenses. I'm sure Magnus and Bill Tuthill
will chime in with their favourites... (and nit mine ;-) )

#1: Maxxum 100 f/2.8 macro. The sharpest Maxxum lens. Vert good
for portrait on film. But at eff. 150mm on
the digital body will not often be used for
portrait... got it - love it.

There is also a non-macro, variable soft
focus 100mm f/2.8 that others in this NG
favour for portraiture.

Other very good/excellent Maxxum lenses.

20 f/2.8
50 f/2.8
50 f/1.4
85 f/1.4 G
135 f/2.8 STF [T 4.5]
200 f/2.8 G
28-70 f/2.8 G
80-200 f/2.8 G

In the consumer grade the 24-105 f/3.5-4.5 is very decent and at 1.5 crop should
be very versatile.
There is another mid range consumer zoom that is quite well regarded, but I
can't remember which... BT, Mag or someone will chime in, I'm sure...

I'd also be interested to know what I can expect price-wise
approximately. The joy of my other Minolta lenses was how cheap they
were. I'm hoping the Maxxum lenses are a little undervalued as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home
http://www.adorama.com/

etc.

Have fun.
Alan.

-- [SI rulz] http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- [SI gallery] www.pbase.com/shootin

Old November 7th 04, 10:18 PM
Alan Browne

Magnus W wrote:

Do remember that with the 1.5x "crop factor" you will need different
(larger!) lenses to achieve the same thing. Another thing is also important

shorter to achieve the same thing. eg: a 50mm will give the FOV of a "75mm".

to remember when shopping around for older lenses -- as often older optical
designs are used, they aren't optimized for digital in any way. How the
older designs work with the D7D, especially WRT chromatic aberrations, is
still totally up in the air.

Good point.

-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html
-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin

Old November 8th 04, 08:34 PM
Magnus W

Alan Browne wrote in
:

Magnus W wrote:

Do remember that with the 1.5x "crop factor" you will need different
(larger!) lenses to achieve the same thing. Another thing is also
important

shorter to achieve the same thing. eg: a 50mm will give the FOV of a
"75mm".

I said "larger", not "longer". As in "physically larger". To get a 50,
you'll need a 35, and so on. I mentioned it because the OP seemed to be
favoring small lenses.

Old November 8th 04, 08:39 PM
Alan Browne

Magnus W wrote:

Alan Browne wrote in

Do remember that with the 1.5x "crop factor" you will need different
(larger!) lenses to achieve the same thing. Another thing is also
important

shorter to achieve the same thing. eg: a 50mm will give the FOV of a
"75mm".

I said "larger", not "longer". As in "physically larger". To get a 50,
you'll need a 35, and so on. I mentioned it because the OP seemed to be
favoring small lenses.

I mistook your meaning.

Cheers,