Infrared on LF (Filters?)

Old October 27th 04, 10:31 PM
Chris Maness

jjs wrote:

You might have an issue with the bellows. Is it opaque to IR?
Also beware of the film holders. Some 'leak' IR.

I have actually decided to use my Toyo with bag bellows.

Do Graflex holders leak IR?

You have the filter you need, the #25.

Maco IR-820c has been tested with #25. It looks too much like trad BW
with a #25.

The 'real' IR filters you probably refer to are opaque, such as the #89b BUT
you may very well not need an opaque filter because most IR film is not
particularly sensitive to the deep IR that those filters accomodate. If you
do use the #89b you probably won't get much of an image at all. Very faint,
at best, even with extraordinarily long exposures. Kodak's IR was sensitive
to the deeper range, but it is no longer made.

I have used the Maco film with an opaque filter on my Rollei. The
filter is the Infrarot, and it is equivalent to a Wratten #89b. I love
it because it automatically compensates the focus. I have had great
results with this set up. I just find it hard to shoot a whole role at
a time.

Moreover, it is very slow with the #89b. I get a good exposure at EI-6
(ISO/ASA-6), but it does respond to deep IR.

Nudge the focus rack a hair less than .5mm (Okay, 3.5mm) for a 150mm lens.
Another trick in bright enough light is to stop way down (F22) and focus on
the ground glass through a #25 filter. It gets you close enough.

Is there a formula for the focus shift? With, focal length of the lens,
or even better the wave length the filter rolls off at? I have a
programmable calculator that I use to figure depth of field etc...

p.s. I love math (B.S. Physics UC Riverside ;-)

Thanks...

Old October 27th 04, 10:54 PM
jjs

"Chris Maness" wrote in message
jjs wrote:

You have the filter you need, the #25.

Maco IR-820c has been tested with #25. It looks too much like trad BW
with a #25.

Yes, it can. I miss Kodak's IR. I still have 75 sheets of 4x5 in the freezer
but haven't set up an opaque 4X5 for it yet. It's almost done, however.

This little shot http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/alma-c.jpg was done with
Maco 120 and the 89b. It required a lot of light and healthy foliage to look
IR, but it really cut through the haze. It picked out the detail I was
shooting for (the bluff topography in the background.) Too bad I developed
it Rodinal 1:20. I know, I know - bad idea, but the image served its
purpose - survey work.

I have used the Maco film with an opaque filter on my Rollei. The filter
is the Infrarot, and it is equivalent to a Wratten #89b. I love it
because it automatically compensates the focus. I have had great results
with this set up. I just find it hard to shoot a whole role at a time.

The filter compensates the focus? Very interesting! I must look into that.

Is there a formula for the focus shift?

Yes! It is very simple: focal length/.0025

To answer your question - check out B&W brand filters Series 6. Or as Bob
suggested, Heliopan brand. Very good stuff.

Old October 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Chris Maness

Yes! It is very simple: focal length/.0025

Thanks...

To answer your question - check out B&W brand filters Series 6. Or as Bob
suggested, Heliopan brand. Very good stuff.

Does anyone know about these guys?

http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/catalog/filters.htm
Old October 28th 04, 12:06 AM
mr. chip

Hello there,

I sometimes use Maco 820ir and I love it. I use Ilford's SFX filter
(equivalent to a Hoya R72 but MUCH cheaper). Some of my results made with
this combination (I usually have a polariser as well) can be seen here
http://www.photosig.com/go/users/vie...olio?id=101892 . Some of the
images there are made with Konica's IR film, but the more 'extreme' IR ones
were made with the Maco. I assume the LF Maco is the same as the 120, so you
should be able to make a comparison.

Simon.

"Chris Maness" wrote in message
I have a couple of Busch press cameras that I want to start shooting IR
landscapes with. I have small holder that slides on these older lenses
and it holds the filters with a small ring that screws down in front to
secure the filter in the holder. I'm looking for an 89b for this filter
holder. Does anyone know what these holders are called or what type, or
where to find more filters for them? I have a #25 red, an orange,
yellow, green, etc... but no IR.

Lee makes the thin plastic film filters. I was thinking about just
cutting out a round section in one of these. I have only seen #87
though, and that is REALLY opaque. I had really good results with Maco
IR-820c with MF (Rollei TLR, Infrarot filter = 89b).

How do you factor in focus shifting in the IR spectrum for LF? The
Rollei Infrarot automatically compensates for the shift.

Old October 28th 04, 09:23 AM
John McGraw

jjs wrote:

[...]

150mm / .025 = 60,000mm That don't make no stikin sense. 60m would be
a kinda long bellows extension :-)
You mean:
150mm X .025 = 0.38mm. Dontcha, dontcha, huh, huh?

That's a very beautiful IR photo. Is it a power plant? & where is it?
Thanks, john

Old October 28th 04, 01:12 PM
jjs

"John McGraw" wrote in message
om...

150mm X .025 = 0.38mm. Dontcha, dontcha, huh, huh?

I stand corrected. Silly me!
150mm X .0025
(You dropped a decimal place)

That's a very beautiful IR photo. Is it a power plant? & where is it?

It is the power plant in Alma, Wisconsin. That's the Mississippi River in
the picture.

Old October 28th 04, 11:23 PM
John McGraw

"jjs" wrote in message ...
"John McGraw" wrote in message
om...

150mm X .025 = 0.38mm. Dontcha, dontcha, huh, huh?

I stand corrected. Silly me!
150mm X .0025
(You dropped a decimal place)

That's a very beautiful IR photo. Is it a power plant? & where is it?

It is the power plant in Alma, Wisconsin. That's the Mississippi River in
the picture.

Yeah, I didn't drop a desmell on my calulator, so the answer is right,
but I did when I typed it in. Oh, well, it was 1 AM or somesuch.
John