What happens to film as it ages?

Old October 14th 04, 10:13 AM
Richard Knoppow

"Jim Hemenway" wrote in message
Marco:

I've had very good luck/results with some 11x14 Fujichrome
64T outdated as of 1992 and some 11x14 Ektachrome 100
outdated as of 2002.

I've kept it frozen and it seems to work like new. No
problems with exposure and contrast except when it's been
my fault.

A sample Fujichrome 64T with an orange filter:
http://www.hemenway.com/11x14/images...Ronar420mm.jpg

A sample Ektachrome 100:
http://www.hemenway.com/11x14/images...ar-S-360mm.jpg

Jim

Marco Milazzo wrote:

I recently shot some outdated film at its advertised
ASA,, but on
developing, it looked underexposed and yet contrasty --
(however, I
was trying a new development process so that may account
for the
contrast) In your excperience, does film lose speed
as it ages or gain
contrast? How long will freezing keep new film in new
condition?

TIA
Marco

Freezing pretty well stops any chemical changes in the
film. Frozen film will stay "fresh" for decades.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Old October 14th 04, 12:40 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Richard Knoppow wrote:

Freezing pretty well stops any chemical changes in the film. Frozen
film will stay "fresh" for decades.

I hate to contradict Richard, but I had some 4164 TriX and 4147 PlusX that
were stored in a freezer for about 2 decades, and the EI dropped to about
1/4 the box speed and the fog level about tripled. That ended my
stockpiling film for the long term. Now the freezer worked, and was set
around 0F. This was in New Jersey, and I do not know if the radioactive
leaks from our nuclear power plants did it, or the contaminated air that
got through those plasticized inner bags, or what, but it happened
nonetheless.

/V\ Registered Machine 241939.
^^-^^ 07:35:00 up 21 days, 18:40, 4 users, load average: 4.32, 4.24, 4.12

Old October 14th 04, 02:15 PM
Marco Milazzo

Thanks for lots of good information here. A follow-up question:

I noticed that the outdated film I shot looks fogged. Is fog ever
desirable, or is it always undesirable?

For instance, Ansel Adams recommends pre-exposure (you might say
"pre-fogging") for certain contrastry situations. Is aged film fog
the same thing -- or is it always a degraded image?

TIA,
Marco

Old October 14th 04, 02:20 PM
jjs

Film ages like human beings do. It gets slow and grumpy and tends to forget.
No stop pestering me, youngster.

Old October 14th 04, 02:21 PM
jjs

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

Freezing pretty well stops any chemical changes in the film. Frozen
film will stay "fresh" for decades.

Richard, did you catch the earlier conversation in which people asserted
that cosmic radiation (of various sorts) will fog film regardless of
freezing down to Zero F? Seems like bull to me.

Old October 14th 04, 04:08 PM
Jim Hemenway

Marco:

I don't know the answer to your question except to say that if you don't
want the fog, then you might want to check with Kodak. They used to
make several anti-fog agents for B&W.

Jim

Old October 14th 04, 08:51 PM
Uranium Committee

"jjs" wrote in message ...
"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message

Freezing pretty well stops any chemical changes in the film. Frozen
film will stay "fresh" for decades.

Richard, did you catch the earlier conversation in which people asserted
that cosmic radiation (of various sorts) will fog film regardless of
freezing down to Zero F? Seems like bull to me.

It isn't. Gamma rays, bubba...