"Fixing" distortion?

Old December 28th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Simon Stanmore

Default "Fixing" distortion?

A cut & paste would've had the wrong perspective. The sign removal and some
of the pavement & wall was done with gradient masked vanishing point cloning
in PS. The colour was corrected for the ambient temperature and enhanced
--
Simon

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
Simon Stanmore wrote:
I've never used a fisheye but correct perspective and WA barrel
distortion as a matter of course with Photoshop.
http://www.pbase.com/stanmore/image/72147131/original is a good example.
If I could afford a Canon 24mm TS lens I would get one because it would
let me compose 'perfectly' at capture

A little cut and paste over the poster as well.

Color corrected or enhanced?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

Old December 30th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Richard Polhill

TheDave© wrote:
I recently bought a 15mm full-frame fisheye, mainly for fun and
amusement, but it could be used for some serious wide-angles, also. I
have had thoughts about buying Canon's 24mm tilt-shift lens... someday.
I remember Bret rented one and decided it wasn't worth buying one.

I have been doing some reading and thinking and have started to wonder
if maybe using my 15mm, or any lens, and a program such as Image Align
might be a cheaper and reasonable alternative than the $1100+/- that
the tilt-shift lens would cost. Any thoughts or experiences?

I haven't tried it, but I'sd suspect that once you correct the
distortion and then crop the resulting pincushion-shaped image to a
rectangle, you'd get effectively the same picture as a 21 or perhaps
even 24mm corrected lens.

It isn't actually necessary to use a shift lens; all they do is crop the
image circle differently by moving the image centre away from the frame
centre. You can get the same effect by using a high enough resolution
sensor or film and then cropping out the unwanted forground in
photoshop/on the enlarger. Sure you lose some resolution but if you have
plenty to start with, then you might be able to afford it.