Wide Angle Lens vs Slim Camera

Old June 23rd 04, 10:06 PM
Steve Almond

Default Wide Angle Lens vs Slim Camera

I'm also interested in a wide zoom compact. The options seem to be (with my
interpretation of comments from the web):

Canon S60 (tests to come?)
Nikon 5400 (not as good as...)
Olympus 5060 (...this)
Minolta Dimage A1 (Getting bulky, pictures less impressive than Oly 5060)
Minolta Dimage A2 (bulky, expensive)
Canon Poweshot Pro1 (tests less well than most Canons)
Panasonic LC-1 (Wow!)
Leica Digilux 2 (Wow! +$400)

I look forward to comments from anyone with experience of any of these

Steve
(This is also crossposted to alt.comp.periphs.dcameras. Probably against the
law - sorry)

"Laura" wrote in message
om...
I am looking into buying a new digital camera. I have been doing some
research, but keep running in circles about a few of the options. I
really like the Canon PowerShot S60 because it has the wide angle
lens, the slim size for carrying, the VGA movie mode, the 5 mega
pixels, and a few other options. My main concern is the wide angle
lens and the size. I don't want a large camera to carry around with a
new baby (so much stuff already). Also, I really want a camera that
has a good wide angle lens. I HATE always backing up to take
pictures. I am an interior designer and can never get a good picture
of regular size room . . . I need a good wide angle lens!! Is this
the best camera for me?? Do you have any suggestions?? They would be
greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Laura

Old June 24th 04, 08:00 AM
David J Taylor

"Laura" wrote in message
om...
Also, I really want a camera that
has a good wide angle lens. I HATE always backing up to take
pictures. I am an interior designer and can never get a good picture
of regular size room . . . I need a good wide angle lens!! Is this
the best camera for me?? Do you have any suggestions?? They would be
greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,
Laura

Nikon Coolpix 5000, possibly with the wide-angle adapter as well. But
even alone, I believe this was one of the widest-angle cameras you can
get. The 5400 model also has 28mm wide-angle and a 4:1 zoom range.

Cheers,
David

Old June 24th 04, 09:47 AM
PlaneGuy

For those of you not in the USA, you may be interested in Ricoh Caplio G4
Wide or the Ricoh Caplio GX. We just bought the GX.

It has a 28-85mm (35mm equiv) f2.8-4.x lens, an incredibly fast shutter lag
for a digicam (not much slower than my D30), and what I thought was a pretty
darn good design of body - very easy to use, though the menu could be
better. Also has a flash mount. We are yet to put it through its image
quality paces, but in pre-purchase testing, it seemed to be pretty good -
not quite as good as the S50 in terms of sharpness, but the above features
were more important to us (if I need image quality out will come the DSLR)

"David J Taylor" wrote in
message ...
om...