35mm Agfa APX400 "New": Reviews?

Old May 31st 04, 01:29 PM
ChrisPlatt

Default 35mm Agfa APX400 "New": Reviews?

Though I love Agfa APX100, I found APX400 too grainy.
How does the new version of APX400 compare to the old?

I'd like input from 35mm shooters who have actually used it,
or pointers to published reviews on the Internet...

TIA,
Chris

Old June 1st 04, 05:53 AM
nicholas

ChrisPlatt wrote:
Though I love Agfa APX100, I found APX400 too grainy.
How does the new version of APX400 compare to the old?

I'd like input from 35mm shooters who have actually used it,
or pointers to published reviews on the Internet...

TIA,
Chris

You use Rodinal I bet. APX400 does go bad in that developer and the new
version is no different. In fact the emulsion remains the same with both
version from all that I've heard.
Try Apx 400 in another developer. For instance in the Gainer staining
developer I am getting essentially grain free 12x16in prints with this
developer and film.
Old June 1st 04, 10:17 PM
nicholas

Michael Scarpitti wrote:

Try Fuji Neopan 400 in FG-7 or Acutol.

Different film, nowhere near similar to APX100, Fujipan is too "sharp"
looking and has none of the smooth tonality APX100 is famous for. APX400
*does* have a smooth tonal range, you just has to be careful what
developer you use otherwise the grain can be obtrusive (like say in
Rodinal).
Old June 2nd 04, 03:02 AM
Michael Scarpitti

nicholas wrote in message ...
Michael Scarpitti wrote:

Try Fuji Neopan 400 in FG-7 or Acutol.

Different film, nowhere near similar to APX100, Fujipan is too "sharp"
looking and has none of the smooth tonality APX100 is famous for.

Oh yes it does!
Old June 5th 04, 02:07 PM
ChrisPlatt

35mm HP5+ still looks great in Rodinol, so I guess I'll stick with that...

Excelsior, you fatheads!
-Chris-