Recommend a Point & Shoot 35mm w/Flash and Manual modes??

Old July 11th 04, 06:38 AM
bmoag

Default Recommend a Point & Shoot 35mm w/Flash and Manual modes??

You want an SLR. There are new low end units from Minolta and Canon that
will do better than any P&S.

Old July 11th 04, 06:38 AM
bmoag

Old July 11th 04, 12:30 PM
Skip M

"Dr. Slick" wrote in message
om...
"bmoag" wrote in message

om...
You want an SLR. There are new low end units from Minolta and Canon that
will do better than any P&S.

ok, I don't know my cameras then.

Can't a point and shoot also be an SLR? Or by definition, they
are very different? I mean, can't a SLR also be auto-focus and
have a built in flash too?

S.

Point and shoots are viewfinder cameras, not SLRs. SLRs can indeed be AF
with built in flash, like the Canon Rebel Ti, K2 and Nikon N65, which is why
bmoag thought you would be better off with one of them. All of the 35mm
SLRs have a manual mode, few of the p&s cameras do, and those that do are
relatively expensive.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old July 11th 04, 04:14 PM
Martin Francis

"Skip M" wrote in message
Point and shoots are viewfinder cameras, not SLRs. SLRs can indeed be AF
with built in flash, like the Canon Rebel Ti, K2 and Nikon N65, which is

why
bmoag thought you would be better off with one of them. All of the 35mm
SLRs have a manual mode, few of the p&s cameras do, and those that do are
relatively expensive.

And even fewer have a zoom lens. None have telephoto beyond about 80mm.

A modern SLR *can* be a point and shoot- with AF and Program modes on.

no, and yes...."

Old July 11th 04, 04:38 PM
Sabineellen

If you read my other post, you will know that I bought my APS
just to get a quick and dirty fully-auto
camera with built-in flash. But I was thinking lately that i would
prefer a fully-auto 35mm (with auto-focus), that also had full manual
modes, so that on my next vacation I could chose between full-auto,
no-need-to-think mode (barroom pics, etc.), and an aperture
priority mode (artistic pics of the Sphinx with a small tripod,
for example).

And I would get the benefit of a larger negative too,
and cheaper processing.

So if anyone can recommend an fully-auto 35mm, with a good
built in flash, that has full manual modes as well, please let me
know. Hopefully is has a good overall lens with it, although
i do have a telescopic lens (fits my T70) that I could lug around if
I could be convinced it was worth it.

Slick

Hmmm... strangely it would be far easier to find you a P&S digital that has
fully auto and fully manual (sic) modes than it would be to find you a 35mm
one.

I agree with the others; if you insist on manual and automation plus flash in
35mm then it's an SLR. If you want these features in a P&S then consider the
digital ones - 5 to 6 megapixels is enough for most ordinary uses and you'll
find plenty that meet your requirements. I would even dare to say that you'll
probably get practically better results with 6 megapixels than your APS camera.

Old July 12th 04, 12:47 PM
Skip M

The Ti is a little higher in the line than the K2, but I'm not sure of the
differences. The lenses from your T70 won't fit without an adapter, which,
I'm sure, are not in production any longer. You can check places like
KEH.com and bandhphotovideo.com for them, though.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"Dr. Slick" wrote in message
om...
(Sabineellen) wrote in message

Hmmm... strangely it would be far easier to find you a P&S digital that

has
fully auto and fully manual (sic) modes than it would be to find you a

35mm
one.

I agree with the others; if you insist on manual and automation plus

flash in
35mm then it's an SLR. If you want these features in a P&S then consider

the
digital ones - 5 to 6 megapixels is enough for most ordinary uses and

you'll
find plenty that meet your requirements. I would even dare to say that

you'll
probably get practically better results with 6 megapixels than your APS

camera.

Well, i already have a Canon Powershot3, which is 4 megapixel, and it's
great for taking non-flash pics (flash really ruins the ambience, doesn't

it?)
because you can check to make sure you held still enough.

However, i was a bit disappointed, when after a small bit of cropping,
that my 8.5x11" digital prints were just on the limits of the resolution.

So i don't really think 6 megapixels will be enough, especially since
i have seen 35mm blown up tremendously (4'x6' or so!), while still looking
very cool, even though you can see the grain of the film close up!

I understand now how people can prefer the grain of analogue film
over that of the pixelation of digital: The grain of real film
is somewhat more "natural" looking, for lack of a better term.

I think i will stick to Canon, as i also have a T70 that works well,
although getting a flash for the hotshoe of the T70 seems like it would
be a bit bulky on a trip.

It seems like the Canon Rebel Ti is slightly better than the K2?

But neither of them have any sort of zoom, unless i bring another
lens, right? I wonder if the telephoto lens i have for my T70
will fit these?

S.

Old July 13th 04, 12:09 PM
Skip M

"Dr. Slick" wrote in message
om...
"Skip M" wrote in message

The Ti is a little higher in the line than the K2, but I'm not sure of

the
differences. The lenses from your T70 won't fit without an adapter,

which,
I'm sure, are not in production any longer. You can check places like
KEH.com and bandhphotovideo.com for them, though.

Ok, i've been seeing some 35mm point and shooters, view camera type.

But these fully auto SLR 35mm cameras, I don't think any of them
come with mechanical zooms like that, right? And with a proper
zoom lens, does the auto focusing still work? Or do you have to
manually focus when using a telephoto lens?

No big deal, i just wanna know.

S.

What do you mean by "mechanical zoom?" No one makes a powered zoom for a
35mm anymore. (I believe Pentax did for a while, but I may be mistaken.)
All of the zooms I have are AF, I can manually focus, but I don't have to.

Old July 13th 04, 02:17 PM
Alan Browne

Skip M wrote:

What do you mean by "mechanical zoom?" No one makes a powered zoom for a
35mm anymore. (I believe Pentax did for a while, but I may be mistaken.)

Some of Minoltas xi series were powered zoom and powered
manual/auto focus. I had the wretched 28-80xi 4-5.6. It could
take brillant images in optimum conditions, but generally was not
that great a lens. I put it up for sale and it sold within a
week... go figure.

Old July 13th 04, 09:19 PM
Skip M

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .
Skip M wrote:

What do you mean by "mechanical zoom?" No one makes a powered zoom for

35mm anymore. (I believe Pentax did for a while, but I may be

mistaken.)

Some of Minoltas xi series were powered zoom and powered
manual/auto focus. I had the wretched 28-80xi 4-5.6. It could
take brillant images in optimum conditions, but generally was not
that great a lens. I put it up for sale and it sold within a
week... go figure.

That's who it was, Minolta. I couldn't remember. I never even knew anyone
who had one, but I heard they were pretty dire, as far as operation.