"Film is dead"? Check the facts.

Old December 3rd 05, 12:10 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Default "Film is dead"? Check the facts.

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
MXP wrote:

I have no tupe amplifier either but could be fun to have one.

I had one, was not that much fun. I remember when it was all tubes,
what a pain that was. When the tv would quit working you took all the
tubes out, when to the local hardware store and used the tube tester to
find out which was was bad, yup the good old days for sure.

Scott

Yeah......Now, when it quits working, you just throw it away and go buy a
new one......You'll be doing that with the digital cameras, too........

Old December 3rd 05, 12:12 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"MXP" wrote in message
. ..

"Scott W" skrev i en meddelelse
oups.com...
MXP wrote:

I have no tupe amplifier either but could be fun to have one.

I had one, was not that much fun. I remember when it was all tubes,
what a pain that was. When the tv would quit working you took all the
tubes out, when to the local hardware store and used the tube tester to
find out which was was bad, yup the good old days for sure.

Scott

OK. But "modern" tube amplifiers today are for the high end market. So
they
are made quite well and are quite expensive. The simplest design (single
ended
triode tubes amps) which can deliver only 5-10 W are probably the most
wanted.
The original Western Electric 300B triodes are very expensive. Do you have
some?

Max

Almost all of them are made in Russia.....Sometimes the tubes are worth more
than the whole amplifier......

Old December 3rd 05, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Paul Bielec" wrote in message

Probably the same reason why some people like to
drive an E-type Jaguar instead of a modern "Ford produced" Jaguar.

Both drive a courtesy car from the dealer most often because they break
all the time.

There is nothing Ford ever made, that comes close to the "E" type
Jag.......I wanted one all of my young life, and when I got old enough to be
able to buy one, they were no longer made, and the only Jaguar you could buy
was a monstrous inverted bathtub boat.....No wonder they had to sell out to
Ford. Ford is the world's expert at making monstrous inverted bathtub
boats........I just wish I could resurrect the person who, at Jaguar, made
the decision to stop making the "E" type. I would only ask him/her one
question..... WHY?

Old December 3rd 05, 12:23 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't draw any conclusions, I simply present the facts. You
interpet them as you see fit.

It would be difficult to argue with your logic.

My thoughts on film's demise are this: There are still people who use
large format view cameras. In my town of about 250,000 I'm sure there
are probably 5-10 people who own one. In 30 years, there will still be
people using 35mm film cameras. The numbers will probably be similar.

Film is like Terri Schiavo ... it's dead but it doens't know it.
The Film Luddites remind me of Bill Frist, running around saying, "Film
is fine .... it's still alive! It blinked!"

But if you were a mortician, would you embalm anyone who blinked?

Old December 3rd 05, 12:36 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Al Denelsbeck" wrote in message
.9...

SNIP

Yes,yes, film is dead and should be buried immediately. Everyone please send
me all your film at once. I will give it a proper burial in my refrigerator.

Scott C.

Old December 3rd 05, 01:43 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

William Graham wrote:
Yeah......Now, when it quits working, you just throw it away and go

buy a
new one......You'll be doing that with the digital cameras, too........

So you are saying times were better when TVs used nothing but tubes?

Scott

Old December 3rd 05, 04:15 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Annika1980 wrote:

If we should compare photography with music then:

Digital = CD's and transistor amplifiers.
Analog = LP's and tube amplifiers.

What do you listen to?

The ones with less noise and less distortion, of course!

Btw, that is a very fitting analogy. People grew up listening to
analog recordings with all their inherent distortions, and when you
take those distortions away many people claim it no longer sounds
"real." The reality is that it sounds more real, just different from
what they're used to. Some people prefer the irregular frequency
response ("warmth") of tube amps, but that doesn't make them more
accurate. Similarly, some people still prefer the look of a grainy
(noisy) film photograph. Not me, baby! I like em smooth.

-Annika ---- Totally Digital !!!

Careful there, Bret, you'll upset Clara.

Colin D.
Old December 3rd 05, 04:38 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"William Graham" wrote in message
. ..

"Annika1980" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't draw any conclusions, I simply present the facts. You
interpet them as you see fit.

It would be difficult to argue with your logic.

My thoughts on film's demise are this: There are still people who use
large format view cameras. In my town of about 250,000 I'm sure there
are probably 5-10 people who own one. In 30 years, there will still be
people using 35mm film cameras. The numbers will probably be similar.

Film is like Terri Schiavo ... it's dead but it doens't know it.
The Film Luddites remind me of Bill Frist, running around saying, "Film
is fine .... it's still alive! It blinked!"

But if you were a mortician, would you embalm anyone who blinked?

All the physicians who worked on her said she was gone. It was only the
republicans who thought to make an issue out of it.
And isn't that just like the republicans. If it's about a single case,
they'll stick up for that single case, but when it's about millions of
people, they'll stick up for big business.

All the corruption we're seeing in politics currently is republican
oriented, and it's all about money, and how any republican politician will
**** over people if they can make a buck, or entrench their power...

Republicans are fantastic at getting out of big business's way, but
interfering in individual's lives, that's just "ethics". The Schivo case is
the perfect example. Name a single other time politicians have interfered
in such a case? They don't give a **** about people, they give a **** about
making points and making money.

Fortunately, for you, William, I try to stick with the credo, don't judge a
group of people by the politicians who represent them. Of course, if you're
duped, you're duped.

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old December 3rd 05, 04:47 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Scott W" wrote in message
oups.com...
William Graham wrote:
Yeah......Now, when it quits working, you just throw it away and go

buy a
new one......You'll be doing that with the digital cameras, too........

So you are saying times were better when TVs used nothing but tubes?

Scott

They were for me. I was an electronics technician most of my life. That
means I made my living repairing electronic equipment. When it broke, I
fixed it. Today, when it breaks, you throw it away and go buy a new one.
That means people like me have been replaced by people who work on assembly
lines (probably in China) for a couple of dollars a day. - Not to
worry.....It's all part of, "The dumbing down of America". Our schools don't
have to teach people like me logic anymore.....All we have to do is press
the red button when the white light flashes twice.....(or some such thing)
Thinking is neither required nor advantageous.......

Old December 3rd 05, 05:03 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm

"Matt Clara" wrote in message
[...]

If you are talking about me, I believe in euthanasia....When my pet cat had
cancer of the jaw, we put her to sleep rather than have her suffer any
longer. I would like someone to be able to do the sasme thing for me when
the time comes. Why should my cat get better treatment than I do?

All the corruption we're seeing in politics currently is republican
oriented, and it's all about money, and how any republican politician will
**** over people if they can make a buck, or entrench their power...

What brought this on? All the corruption in politics currently is NOT
REPUBLICAN ORIENTED! Many politicians are corrupt in both parties, and it
has always been so. They all have the power to make laws respecting selected
individuals, and take bribes for so doing. Republicans don't have an
exclusive right to be more corrupt than anyone else.

Republicans are fantastic at getting out of big business's way, but
interfering in individual's lives, that's just "ethics". The Schivo case
is the perfect example. Name a single other time politicians have
interfered in such a case?

It seems to me that the courts decided the Schivo case. That was forced by
the individuals involved, who brought the case to court. If politicians got
involved, it was because a jillion constituents wrote a jillion letters to
them, and they (both Republican and Democratic) are dependent on these
letter writers for votes.....If anything it was the press that got involved,
and whipped up interest in a case that was far from being unique.....In most
such cases, the family simply turns up the drip rate on the morphine, and
their suffering one drifts away into oblivion........

They don't give a **** about people, they give a **** about
making points and making money.

Fortunately, for you, William, I try to stick with the credo, don't judge
a group of people by the politicians who represent them.

It seems to me that you are judging me by the politicians that represent
me........All I have ever done is to vote for the lessor of two (or more)
evils, and, living in liberal states for the last 40 years, my votes have
usually been a waste of time.......

Of course, if you're
duped, you're duped.

Matt Clara