Moscva 4 or Moscva 2?

Old May 6th 04, 04:17 PM
Trevor Longino

Default Moscva 4 or Moscva 2?

After considering all the advice that you guys volunteered in my last post,
I decided to buy a Ziess Ikon folder, but, as things turned out I didn't win
any of my bids on the Ikon's and did win a bid on a Moscva 4 for thirty
bucks. Not a bad price; I'll see if it works. My questions is, the camera
that I ordered off Ebay was billed as a Moscva 4, but once I received it a
brief inspection shows the film plate (that little textured metal thing just
behind teh film plane) to be branded "Mocba-2"
The seller still insists that, even though he has no idea about this
labeling on the film plate, the camera that he sold me is a Moscva-4.
Anybody know if he could be right or, as I suspect, he's trying to hoodwink
me?

Thanks!
Trevor

Old May 6th 04, 08:02 PM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Trevor Longino wrote:

After considering all the advice that you guys volunteered in my last post,
I decided to buy a Ziess Ikon folder, but, as things turned out I didn't win
any of my bids on the Ikon's and did win a bid on a Moscva 4 for thirty
bucks. Not a bad price; I'll see if it works. My questions is, the camera
that I ordered off Ebay was billed as a Moscva 4, but once I received it a
brief inspection shows the film plate (that little textured metal thing just
behind teh film plane) to be branded "Mocba-2"
The seller still insists that, even though he has no idea about this
labeling on the film plate, the camera that he sold me is a Moscva-4.
Anybody know if he could be right or, as I suspect, he's trying to hoodwink
me?

Maybe not. AFAIK, are only two differences: the 4 has flash sync and a
6x6 option. The back may have been changed later, because it is
compatible.

The first two digits of the serial number give the year of manufacture.
If they are mid-fifties (change from 2 to 4), the wrong back may be
original...

-- Lassi
Old May 7th 04, 12:07 AM
Roman J. Rohleder

"Trevor Longino" schrieb:

The seller still insists that, even though he has no idea about this
labeling on the film plate, the camera that he sold me is a Moscva-4.
Anybody know if he could be right or, as I suspect, he's trying to hoodwink
me?

Compare your camera with the images Nathan Dayton gives us at

http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/med...eras/right.htm

and tell us what camera you received. ;-)

Strange enough, I wouldn´t expect a scripture on the film pressure
plate. My two and a half Mosva 5s (well, the half one is actually a
M4b) don´t have this feature.

Thanks!
Trevor

Gruss, Roman
--
"A man should always keep two things in mind:
one is that he is a fool; the other is that he is going to die."
Old May 7th 04, 06:53 AM
Stacey

Trevor Longino wrote:

After considering all the advice that you guys volunteered in my last
post, I decided to buy a Ziess Ikon folder, but, as things turned out I
didn't win any of my bids on the Ikon's and did win a bid on a Moscva 4
for thirty bucks. Not a bad price; I'll see if it works. My questions is,
the camera that I ordered off Ebay was billed as a Moscva 4, but once I
received it a brief inspection shows the film plate (that little textured
metal thing just behind teh film plane) to be branded "Mocba-2"
The seller still insists that, even though he has no idea about this
labeling on the film plate, the camera that he sold me is a Moscva-4.
Anybody know if he could be right or, as I suspect, he's trying to
hoodwink me?

Being an FSU camera, it's very likely they used up some old Moscva 2
pressure plates on some of the msocva 4's. I'd go shoot some film and not
worry what you have, just if it works good or not! :-)
--

Stacey
Old May 7th 04, 08:03 AM
Lassi Hippeläinen

Lassi Hippeläinen wrote:
The first two digits of the serial number give the year of manufacture.
If they are mid-fifties (change from 2 to 4), the wrong back may be
original...

Commenting myself:

Moskva-2 Moskva-4
Made in 1947-56 1955-58
Shutter Moment-1 Moment-23S ("-23C" in cyrillic)
Red eyes 1 (6x9) 2 (6x6 and 6x9)

I'm not sure if there were units that have the one-eyed 6x9 back, but
still have the flash sync of the -23S shutter. Quite possible,
considering the overlap in years of manufacture.

-- Lassi
Old May 7th 04, 02:45 PM
Hemi4268

just if it works good or not! :-)

This is most likely the best advice. I have seen some really ratty Mocobas.
Actually I payed top dollar for a never used in the box Mocoba 5. About $100.
If they are in good shape and most used ones are not, they take decent
pictures. Edge resolution though is a little low vs the true Super Ikon.

Larry