What film to use

Old March 29th 04, 05:47 PM
Mark in Maine

Default What film to use

Well, it's happened. I have used my last sheet of 4x5 Plus-X and am
going to have to find another film to replace it.

I have been using quickloads for my colour images, and am appreciating
those more and more - no dust, light weight (they even make your
wallet lighter and easier to carry!) - so my ideal would be a medium
speed B&W film that retains detail nicely in the highlights (I have
not had good luck this way with T-MAX) - if I could get it in
quickload/readyload - that would be another big plus.

I have never tried the Fuji B&W films - would be interested in hearing
about those - also if anybody knows if there will be any other
quickload (or similar) packaged b&w films coming from Ilford, Agfa or
Kodak, I'd be interested in hearing about them.

Thanks, Mark

Old March 29th 04, 06:22 PM
Gregory W Blank

In article ,
Mark in Maine wrote:

I have never tried the Fuji B&W films - would be interested in hearing
about those - also if anybody knows if there will be any other
quickload (or similar) packaged b&w films coming from Ilford, Agfa or
Kodak, I'd be interested in hearing about them.
Thanks, Mark

Ok Mark;

I reviewed Fuji Acros 100 in View Camera Magazine, It produced
excellent results with PMK, and D23. I highly recommend this film
if Readyloads are your goal. Personally I like Delta 100 a little better, but
it is not available as a Readyloaded film. You also might try Ilford FP4 but it
will be a little different than PXP and again is not a readyload film.
I look at PXP and HP5 in the same light, btw. The negatives look very
similar if you expose HP5 at 200 asa .

Readyload, limits your choices.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

Old March 30th 04, 04:10 AM
Norman Worth

Ilford FP4 is pretty close to the old Plus-X Pro. TMax100 is different but
very nice. From what I hear and see in reviews, Fuji Acros and Ilford Delta
100 are also very well worth exploring.

Old March 30th 04, 05:25 AM
John

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 16:47:33 GMT, Mark in Maine
wrote:

- so my ideal would be a medium
speed B&W film that retains detail nicely in the highlights (I have
not had good luck this way with T-MAX) -

I would suggest that you re-try T-Max. It's not that hard to
tame. Just use a slightly more dilute developer and/or less agitation.

Also it is available in Ready Load.

Kodak TMX (#4052) 4x5" Single Sheet Readyload 20 Sheets T-Max 100
Professional Black & White Print Film

Our Price: $ 44.95

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=227516&is=USA

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer - http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email
Old March 30th 04, 12:12 PM
mr. chip

From what I have read, and from my own (albeit limited experience) Fuji
Acros has all the benefits of the newer modern grain films, but with the
'look' of the older ones (Plus-X, FP4 etc.)

Simon.

Old March 30th 04, 01:48 PM
Fedor Pavlovic

"mr. chip" ha scritto nel messaggio
From what I have read, and from my own (albeit limited experience) Fuji
Acros has all the benefits of the newer modern grain films, but with the
'look' of the older ones (Plus-X, FP4 etc.)

Yes, and no problem on long exposition time. ( 120 sec.).

I use it at 50 iso, in PMK pyro. it's great (and not expensive).