Best cat breed with young children at home

Old February 4th 05, 03:02 PM
Lewis Lang

Subject: Best cat breed with young children at home
From: Larry et
Date: Fri, Feb 4, 2005 8:12 AM

In article ,
says...
in article
, Lisa
Horton at
wrote on 2/4/05 4:26AM:

SNIP

I think you are being trolled here, the address )
looks like one of the same fake addresses that have been trolling me with OT
libel, and if this is coming from googlegroups you're definitely being
trolled...

Check out my photos at "LEWISVISION":

http://members.aol.com/Lewisvisn/home.htm

Remove "nospam" to reply

***DUE TO SPAM, I NOW BLOCK ALL E-MAIL NOT ON MY LIST, TO BE ADDED TO MY LIST,
PING ME ON THE NEWSGROUP. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE. :-) ***
Old February 4th 05, 03:55 PM
Clyde Torres

"Larry" wrote in message
ews.com...
In article ,

says...
in article
, Lisa
Horton at
wrote on 2/4/05 4:26AM:

Hi. I would like to adopt a kitten for a family house pet. We have
young children. What breeds are most suitable? I like Siamese,
Persians, and Manx. Any others to consider?

Thanks.

Lisa

Well, it really isn't breed so much as personality to think about. You

want
to look for a well socialized and laid back kitty. How old are the

children?
Consider adopting a pair so that they keep each other busy and have a

friend
when you are away from home.

If the children are under 8 or 10 years old, they aren't old enough to

handle
a cat un-supervised so think twice before getting a cat of ANY breed.

A cat can do serious damage to a child while defending itself from

children
who might wish to "HUG" or "SNUGGLE" with it.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

I didn't read anything above about leaving children unsupervised with
animals around.

Here's my opinion as a long term cat owner/parent. The breeds are great for
showing off at shows. They also have certain personalities and habits that
make them distinct, but the best all around cat is a mutt. Go to your local
humane society and look at their various cats. Pick one that looks healthy
and is sociable with YOU. If (s)he rubs against you as you try to pet it,
this shows that the cat wants to be your buddy. Some cats will just not
feel like being sociable that particular day, so you will be excluding some
nice ones by doing this, but at least you will know that the cat that tries
to buddy up to you is a nice, sociable cat. My children grew up with cats
and no problems. Millions do this all the time.

As I type, there are three cats, all mutts, laying next to me and two
outside doing what they do 2nd best. They have been with me for 10-17
years. They are good, loving kitties.

Clyde Torres

Old February 4th 05, 04:41 PM
Mike

A puma - that will stop the bloodlines of people who post this kind of
thing to a photography group and make the 'net a better place.
Old February 4th 05, 05:00 PM
John McWilliams

Clyde Torres wrote:
"Larry" wrote in message
ews.com...

This thread was posted - started - in a kitty cat group, with followups
set to a couple of photog. groups.

Only to create noise in groups he's grown to loathe, but cannot bring
himself to say why, much less who he is. Yet he can't leave, either!

What a conundrum! Pray for the tortured!

--
John McWilliams
Old February 4th 05, 07:35 PM
Larry

says...
[...]

Clyde I agree with everything you said... I only mentioned leaving the cat
with the children un-supervised because a lot of people do it, then are
surprised or blame the cat when a child get shredded.

Im not a believer in having cars de-clawed, so any cat in my house can do
damage when offended!

We have two cats, a male mutt who is a definate clone of Garfield... Big
yellow tiger with an attitude, and a small female mutt who happens to be a
Blue Money cat.

Both are neutered, both were adopted when abandoned, both have wheedled their
way into our hearts.

All children that visit us are WARNED: The cats should NOT be picked up or
annoyed in any way, it THEIR house and they will scratch if offended.

Both cats take good care of my Beagle if Im not at home. (the little Blue
Money is curled up on the back of my chair right now purring into my ear.)

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.