Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

Old February 2nd 04, 12:47 PM
BCampbell

Default Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

Steve Simmons said in part:

The problem with Sexton's class is that you don't get to do the printing.
You
watch him make prints from his own negs that he has frequently owed people

for
sometime.

I don't know which of John's workshops you've taken. I took the three that
he offered in 1995-1997. I don't know what is offered today. At "Exploring
the Expressive Black and White Print" we worked in the darkroom until late
at night making our own prints. John would stay there as long as anyone was
still in the darkroom to critique and assist. At "Advanced Techniques:
Exploring the Black and White Print" we also spent almost every evening,
after the day's lectures, demonstrations and field trips, making our own
prints with John's critiques and assistance.

The only one at which the students didn't make their own prints was "Fine
Tuning the Expressive Print." There is no student printing at that workshop
because it was offered at John's home and studio. Perhaps that's the one you
attended and perhaps that's the only one still being offered since digital
has undoubtedly cut into the market for darkroom workshops. But even at that
one the students didn't just sit there and "watch him make prints from his
own negatives," we watched various darkroom techniques being demonstrated
(in addition to the critiques, lectures, and field trips). I learned a lot
about printing and photography in general at that workshop and I'd highly
recommend it to anyone interested in improving their printing and
photographic skills regardless of whether they do their own printing or not.
There are far worse ways to learn than watching demonstrations by a master
printer (plus participating in critiques, going on field trips, and
listening to lectures).

I have no idea what you mean by his "making prints from his own negatives
that he has owed for some time." It sounds like you're suggesting he uses
workshop time to make his own prints in order to satisfy obligations to
purchasers or others. Hopefully I'm wrong since that would be such a
mean-spirited and completely false statement. In the three workshops I
attended I don't remember ever seeing a final print being made by John. The
printing was done only to demonstrate certain specific techniques, not to
make final prints, and everything I saw ended up in the trash can.

"Largformat" wrote in message
You've pretty much described John Sexton and his darkroom workshops. Start
with "The Expressive Black and White Print," then take the
others.

The problem with Sexton's class is that you don't get to do the printing.

You
watch him make prints from his own negs that he has frequently owed people

for
sometime. A better approach is to find a class where you can do the

printing
yourself. George Tice used to do one at the Maine Photo program and he is

an
excellent printer. Gordon Hutchings does a large format class that

includes
printing at the Maine program as well.

Also, go to galleries where images by Tice, Paul Caponigro, Adams, etc.

are on
display so you know what is possible.

steve simmons

Old February 2nd 04, 03:22 PM
Ken Smith

"sympatico.ca" wrote in message ...
"Willhelm" wrote in message
om...

So...does anybody know of a great
printer that has a workshop?

Twenty years ago I was looking for the same thing, and found it with
George Tice's workshop at the Maine Photographic Workshops. I believe
he still gives it there e

http://www.theworkshops.com/catalog/...choolID=20very year.

Thanks fellows. Fascinating how few people are mentioned as
printers. Tice and Sexton. Forget Barnbaum? Name people charge a bit.
Where's the working stiffs who gain great reputations with
pros/artists and get hired to do their work I wonder.I'm no longer in
the cities,so I'm out of touch. Ended up in Wyoming, after many failed
attemps in this...sniff, blubber, blubber, heartbreaking field.

I heard once Mark Klett had a great woman printer doing his
work.Maybe I should try her for advice.

As for one of two sheets get a finished print and most of it goes on
in the original neg anyway. All I can say is... huh? A landscape has
so many areas to contend with, there's little I can do expose/dev wise
beyond what we all know. I use the pyrocat these days because I like
to expose generously. I like shadows like the eye sees into them. The
pyrocat has
made that possible because it holds the highlights down. Nothing else
I've ever tried did that, not HC-110 highly diluted (gets dull), not
Microphen used in the way you once mentioned. Acutol 1:20 comes
closest. But look the negs are beautiful. I'm inclined to think 5x7,
8x10 have so much nuiance that they are even harder to deal with than
2 1/4. Especially when it comes to evening out say three areas of ice
and snow.

Ken Smith
Old February 2nd 04, 03:42 PM
Largformat

have no idea what you mean by his "making prints from his own negatives
that he has owed for some time." It sounds like you're suggesting he uses
workshop time to make his own prints in order to satisfy obligations to
purchasers or others. Hopefully I'm wrong since that would be such a
mean-spirited and completely false statement. In the three workshops I
attended I don't remember ever seeing a final print being made by
John

I've heard this from of his devotees. If it is not true I wil apologize but
most of his workshops are at his studio now. I have a frioend here locally who
has gone to one or two.

I would look for alternatives. Tice is an extraordinary printer and he would be
my first choice. Gordon Hutchings did a black and white printing class here
last summer as part of the Santa Fe PhotoArts festival and it was very well
received. Everyone got to work on their own negatives the entire session.

steve simmons
Old February 2nd 04, 11:27 PM
Jeff Novick

"Willhelm" wrote in message
om...

So...does anybody know of a great
printer that has a workshop?

Twenty years ago I was looking for the same thing, and found it with
George Tice's workshop at the Maine Photographic Workshops. I believe
he still gives it there every year.

George Tice comes highly recommended by a close friend of mine who is a very
advanced photographer and printer who also studied with him 20 or so years
ago. He was already an advanced printer and was amazed at the difference
between Tice's printing and his printing of the same neg. All the people in
the seminar were advanced pros, too!

Old February 3rd 04, 12:35 AM
BCampbell

Steve Simmons said:

"I've heard this from of his devotees." (sic)

You have no personal experience whatsoever, you simply heard it from someone
but you don't say that with the original message, you try to pass it off as
fact until someone call you on it, then the best you can do is "I heard if
from one of his devotees." Amazing, especially coming from the guy who's
always lecturing us about expressing personal opinions without personal
experience.