Canon 20D Lockups with 1.0.5 firmware

Old October 13th 04, 01:54 AM
Lou

Default Canon 20D Lockups with 1.0.5 firmware

Lockups still being reported with the new firmware.

See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp do a search on the left
under Forums on 20D

Also being reported in the dpreview Canon forum.

Looks like it's still not fixed. Oh, well --------

Lou
Old October 13th 04, 02:23 AM
Phil Wheeler

I had no lockups with 1.0.2 and have had none with 1.0.5.

So there may be some combo of things making lockups more likely.

Or some number of cameras may have non-firmware issues. The number
reported is MUCH smaller than it was prior to 1.0.5

Phil

Old October 13th 04, 09:51 AM
Alan F Cross

In message , Phil Wheeler
writes

Lou wrote:
Lockups still being reported with the new firmware.
See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp do a search on the
left
under Forums on 20D
Also being reported in the dpreview Canon forum.
Looks like it's still not fixed. Oh, well --------
Lou

The initial problem, IIRC, was upgrading with no lens attached. Perhaps
that is still the issue under some circumstances.
--
Alan

Old October 13th 04, 10:20 AM
Bart van der Wolf

"Lou" wrote in message
Lockups still being reported with the new firmware.

Error 99, and battery grip contacts have nothing to do with the
earlier lock-up issue. When it happens, it is often associated with
dirty lens contacts, or battery (grip) connections. It is NOT the
earlier lock-up that required temporary removal of the battery. Just
switch the camera off, clean the contacts, and switch on again.

See http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp do a search on the

left
under Forums on 20D

I'm not saying that there are no issues, but this is not related to
the 1.0.5 firmware fix.

Also being reported in the dpreview Canon forum.

Same here, and a little more research also reveals threads like:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=10653270

Looks like it's still not fixed. Oh, well --------

Looks like you wanted to make a point, which is...?

Bart

Old October 13th 04, 03:49 PM
Lou

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:20:11 +0200, "Bart van der Wolf"
wrote:

"Lou" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The point is that Canon still has unresolved problems. If you read
the posts from folks that have had the problem with 1.0.5 you will see
that failures have occurred under conditions that may not be caused by
what you mentioned. Most folks cleared the problem by removing the
battery according to what they posted so it MAY still be a problem in
the same area.

In any case, the 20D should not be locking up at all.

Having said that I will be ordering one as an upgrade from my D60,
been waiting to see what happens with this problem.

Lou

Old October 13th 04, 08:55 PM

Lou wrote:

The point is that Canon still has unresolved problems.

Actually, the point seems to be that you are a FUDster.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...G=Search&meta=

n. Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The object of marketing
campaigns launched by otherwise uncompetitive companies.

So who are you working for? Sigma?
Old October 14th 04, 02:20 AM
Lou

On 13 Oct 2004 12:55:24 -0700, wrote:

Lou wrote:

The point is that Canon still has unresolved problems.

Actually, the point seems to be that you are a FUDster.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...G=Search&meta=

n. Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. The object of marketing
campaigns launched by otherwise uncompetitive companies.

So who are you working for? Sigma?

No connection with Sigma. Sorry, I can't help you with a discount.
The facts are that the problems have not been resolved with the 20D.

I thank you for the definition of FUDster.

FYI, a quick search of all news groups using your email address
returned the following -

"Results 1 - 100 of about 1,620 English messages for "
"."

Yahoo only returns 500, too bad I couldn't read them all ;-)

Get a life, you may be the record holder for posts, 1,620 in four news
groups -

Since one good definition deserves another here is on that apparently
applies to you based on all those news group posts -

flamage

/flay'm*j/ n. [very common] Flaming verbiage, esp.
high-noise, low-signal postings to Usenet or other electronic
fora. Often in the phrase `the usual flamage'. `Flaming' is the
act itself; `flamage' the content.

High noise, low signal is a good description for your posts.

Lou

Old October 15th 04, 10:46 AM
Georgette Preddy

Lou wrote in message . ..
In any case, the 20D should not be locking up at all.

Did you expect a DSLR from Canon without major issues?
Old October 15th 04, 10:46 AM
Georgette Preddy