Curious about the "Digital Rebel Hack"

Old October 16th 04, 10:46 AM
Larry R Harrison Jr

Default Curious about the "Digital Rebel Hack"

I was reading about it at the link where I found it. A couple of questions:

* Some have said that once installed it may be impossible to remove, but the
website gave very specific instructions on how you could "go back." What's
the real deal?

* Apparently with the D60 and 10D I could use the exposure lock/focus lock
button to be customized to lock autofocus only. I assume this would make the
photo take immediately rather than being "focus priority" and lagging. Would
the hack make the Digital Rebel able to do this? Or in fact do the other
ones not work this way either?

(For the record--I formerly owned the Nikon N80 35mm SLR which had a similar
button and I absolutely LOVED using it as AF lock; I could use it to
temporarily force the camera to take the picture immediately without
re-autofocusing, thus preventing a lag between pressing the shutter release,
the camera re-autofocusing, THEN the picture finally taking. I was hoping to
use the exposure lock on the Digital Rebel--were I to consider it--for the
same thing.)

What's the general consensus on this hack?

LRH

Old October 16th 04, 03:54 PM
Phil Wheeler

Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

I was reading about it at the link where I found it. A couple of questions:

* Some have said that once installed it may be impossible to remove, but the
website gave very specific instructions on how you could "go back." What's
the real deal?

You can replace it by the last update at the Canon website: Process can
be reversed.

* Apparently with the D60 and 10D I could use the exposure lock/focus lock
button to be customized to lock autofocus only. I assume this would make the
photo take immediately rather than being "focus priority" and lagging. Would
the hack make the Digital Rebel able to do this? Or in fact do the other
ones not work this way either?

You need to read the documentation of the hack. The most extensive
documentation is he

http://members.rogers.com/tanm/Wasia...20features.pdf

What's the general consensus on this hack?

All messages I've read at the dpreview 300D forum are postive. Having
both a 20D and 300D (wife uses the latter), I've had no desire to hack
the 300D.

Phil