Lexar CF cards - free data recovery?

Old September 23rd 04, 07:26 PM
Darryl

Default Lexar CF cards - free data recovery?

Hi,

A photography website I was browsing, at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cf.htm, says that Lexar provides free
data recovery on their CompactFlash cards if one fails. Now, I've
personally never had a flash device of any type fail on me, but if
this is in fact the case, it would be a strong motivation to buy Lexar
cards.

Browsing the Lexar site, I see no indication that this guarantee
exists (the cards seem to have either a 5-year or a lifetime limited
warranty). Can anyone confirm (or deny) that Lexar provides this
service? (FWIW, the article is dated 2004.)

- Darryl
Old September 23rd 04, 08:24 PM
Philippe Boite

"Darryl" a écrit dans le message de
om...
Hi,

A photography website I was browsing, at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cf.htm, says that Lexar provides free
data recovery on their CompactFlash cards if one fails. Now, I've
personally never had a flash device of any type fail on me, but if
this is in fact the case, it would be a strong motivation to buy Lexar
cards.

Browsing the Lexar site, I see no indication that this guarantee
exists (the cards seem to have either a 5-year or a lifetime limited
warranty). Can anyone confirm (or deny) that Lexar provides this
service? (FWIW, the article is dated 2004.)

- Darryl

Lexar provides a package with a Compact Flash card, a card reader and a
recovery software.
The software can recover accidentally lost pictures (erased too quickly or
some bytes lost).
Funny enough, the installation file for this software comes on the Compact
Flash itself, but can also be downloaded for free on their website.
No fear of software piracy as the program only works with their cards and
their card readers if I remember correctly.

--
Philippe Boite
http://philippe.boite.free.fr

Old September 23rd 04, 09:17 PM
Special Ed

"Darryl" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

A photography website I was browsing, at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cf.htm, says that Lexar provides free
data recovery on their CompactFlash cards if one fails. Now, I've
personally never had a flash device of any type fail on me, but if
this is in fact the case, it would be a strong motivation to buy Lexar
cards.

Browsing the Lexar site, I see no indication that this guarantee
exists (the cards seem to have either a 5-year or a lifetime limited
warranty). Can anyone confirm (or deny) that Lexar provides this
service? (FWIW, the article is dated 2004.)

- Darryl

Don't know anything about that but there's a free download called PC
Inspector Smart Recovery that will undelete files from most any kind of
flash memory card. I've been using the program for a year or so and it works
great for me on CF and SD.

Old September 23rd 04, 09:43 PM
Howard

well ... they do provide a free copy of "Image Rescue" data recovery
software which is pre-loaded on the CF card and must be transferred to your
PC or Mac for use. You would have to use it yourself to attempt image
recovery from the CF card.

Old September 24th 04, 04:21 AM
Steven

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:43:13 GMT, "Howard" wrote:

well ... they do provide a free copy of "Image Rescue" data recovery
software which is pre-loaded on the CF card and must be transferred to your
PC or Mac for use. You would have to use it yourself to attempt image
recovery from the CF card.

"Darryl" wrote in message
. com...
Hi,

A photography website I was browsing, at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cf.htm, says that Lexar provides free
data recovery on their CompactFlash cards if one fails. Now, I've
personally never had a flash device of any type fail on me, but if
this is in fact the case, it would be a strong motivation to buy Lexar
cards.

Browsing the Lexar site, I see no indication that this guarantee
exists (the cards seem to have either a 5-year or a lifetime limited
warranty). Can anyone confirm (or deny) that Lexar provides this
service? (FWIW, the article is dated 2004.)

- Darryl

I just bought a 512 80x cf card from Lexar. It comes with two software
programs that are good for a 30 free trial. The two programs are Image
Rescue and PhotoMechanic. I have never had any lost images so havent
needed to use them tho.

Steve

Old September 24th 04, 04:48 PM
Marvin Margoshes

"Darryl" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

A photography website I was browsing, at
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/cf.htm, says that Lexar provides free
data recovery on their CompactFlash cards if one fails. Now, I've
personally never had a flash device of any type fail on me, but if
this is in fact the case, it would be a strong motivation to buy Lexar
cards.

Browsing the Lexar site, I see no indication that this guarantee
exists (the cards seem to have either a 5-year or a lifetime limited
warranty). Can anyone confirm (or deny) that Lexar provides this
service? (FWIW, the article is dated 2004.)

- Darryl

When a Lexar card failed, about 2 years ago, and I couldn't read it in my
camera or a card reader, I returned it to Lexar - first getting a return
authorization number from them. I got back a new card, plus a CD with the
photos.