How to Scan/Print The C41 Cross-Developed Ektachrome 200 EPD

Old May 3rd 04, 03:29 AM
Einton Newstein

Default How to Scan/Print The C41 Cross-Developed Ektachrome 200 EPD

I am scanning a set of studio-taken family portraitures. I found a
roll of negatives that has the edge label "Kodak EPD 6036". From
Kodak's web, I found it's the Ektachrome 200. I assume it's a slide
film but cross deveoped in C41. The studio/lab printed pictures of
this film are quite good. I won't find any clue of this if I only see
the printer pictures.

The problem is in my scanning. My scanner comes with a set of
pre-loaded film profiles for scan, including Kodak's Vericolor,
Royal-gold, etc., plus the generic "color negative", "raw color
negatives", but none of them comes any close to be useful to this
cross-developed EPD.

How do people scan or print a film like this? I'm looking for
solutions to make a normal looking prints, not weire colored monsters.
Since the studio did a good job in printing already (and I can believe
it's through digital scanning/lightjet'), it must be a common
practise. Where can I find the help?
Old May 3rd 04, 05:35 AM
JR

Well, forst off, it's a challenge for any scanner. You will push it to
it's limits. When I do this, I scan it as a positive, with no color
adjustments. Then in Photoshop invert the image. Then do levels, and
set the black and white points, which should pretty much get the colors
ok. This is a starting point for me....

John
Old May 4th 04, 06:39 AM
Einton Newstein

Thanks, It helps a lot.

I found that, so far, my best results come from:

1. In the scanner's software,
--Scan it as positive,
--Set the lightness and contrast in a way so that the
histogram
has the best spread RGB profiles, i.e., their min/max are
all
between 20%~80%.
--set the color correction to add yellow and green,
(in my scanner, it's in the color pie-chart, with x=-4,
y=29).
This is because the EPD negative has a color cast of blue +
magenta.
--scan it

2. In Photoshop
--adjust the level, so that in the end,
the histogram has the max wide spread profiles, i.e.,
all min/max are right at the edge of the histogram.

This is just my first try, so things may change. Anyway, hope my 2
cents can add to the real valuable infos.