AA size NiMH batteries and Chargers for Australia

Old September 1st 04, 05:57 AM
John Wright

Default AA size NiMH batteries and Chargers for Australia

What are the best AA size Ni-MH batteries and chargers (2100 mAH or more) available in Australia for use in cameras?

Many batteries/chargers with good reviews by users in USA (e.g. Maha Powerex batteries, Maha C204W or C401FS chargers) are not sold in Australia, it seems.

And those sold in Australia (e.g. 2500 mAH PowerBase Rapid Charger/batteries, 2100 mAH Fuji Charger/Batteries, 2300 mAH Spike Super Quick charger/batteries) don't seem to have any reviews published. How good are they?

And how do these chargers decide when to cut off charging, when does the charging indicator go off? Suppose I buy 2100 mAH charger/batteries today and in a year's time better e.g. 2900 mAH batteries become available, will the old charger charge the new batteries fully (I don't mind if the charging time is longer) or will it leave them partially charged to 2100 mAH?

Regards - JW

Old September 1st 04, 11:34 AM
spodosaurus

John Wright wrote:
What are the best AA size Ni-MH batteries and chargers (2100 mAH or
more) available in Australia for use in cameras?

Many batteries/chargers with good reviews by users in USA (e.g. Maha
Powerex batteries, Maha C204W or C401FS chargers) are not sold in
Australia, it seems.

I ordered mine from thomasdistributing.com because what's sold here is
usually overpriced and under featured.

And those sold in Australia (e.g. 2500 mAH PowerBase Rapid
Charger/batteries, 2100 mAH Fuji Charger/Batteries, 2300 mAH Spike Super
Quick charger/batteries) don't seem to have any reviews published. How
good are they?

And how do these chargers decide when to cut off charging, when does the
charging indicator go off? Suppose I buy 2100 mAH charger/batteries
today and in a year's time better e.g. 2900 mAH batteries become
available, will the old charger charge the new batteries fully (I don't
mind if the charging time is longer) or will it leave them partially
charged to 2100 mAH?

That's whay I bought a maha charger from the States.

Regards - JW

Old September 1st 04, 02:27 PM
Bob Salomon

spodosaurus wrote:

John Wright wrote:
What are the best AA size Ni-MH batteries and chargers (2100 mAH or
more) available in Australia for use in cameras?

The Ansmann Traveler charges any number of AA or AAA NiMh or NiCd cells
in any order on any AC current. The Powerline 4 comes with the plugs for
EU, US, UK and AUS so you only have to plug it in.

As Ansmann is an actual manufacturer, as opposed to a private label
marketing compnay, it is available worldwide. In Australia it is
distributed to retailers by:
Soanar Electronic Component Solutions
9 Civic Square
Croydon, Victoria 3136

Tel: +61 / 03 / 9724 0888
Fax: +61 / 03 / 9724 0878

E-Mail:
Web:
http://www.soanar.com.au

I am sure they can help you.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Old September 1st 04, 03:39 PM
John Wright

"spodosaurus" wrote
I ordered mine from thomasdistributing.com ... ... That's whay I bought a
maha charger from the States.

ThomasDistributing's price for Maha Charger model C401FS is US$40. And their
shipping cost to Australia US$30!!

- JW

Old September 1st 04, 06:55 PM
Steve B

A lot of smart chargers will be in trouble if we get to the heady heights of
2900mAH batteries. The reason is that a charger may have a max charge rate of
say 1 Amp and take 2 hrs to charge a 2000mAH battery, but it could have a safety
timer of 2.5hrs in case a battery is so worn out it isn't able to produce the
necessary -deltaV at end of charge for the smart electronics to recognise it and
turn off. Therefore such a charger won't be able to charge a battery of greater
than 2500mAH as it will run out of time. Not all chargers have a safety timer,
some use a thermal sensor to detect battery overheating. All it means is that
it's best to research the subject properly first if you want a charger to last
throughout years of battery improvements.

Old September 1st 04, 08:40 PM
spodosaurus

John Wright wrote:
"spodosaurus" wrote

I ordered mine from thomasdistributing.com ... ... That's whay I bought a
maha charger from the States.

ThomasDistributing's price for Maha Charger model C401FS is US$40. And their
shipping cost to Australia US$30!!

Know anyone in the States? I got mine through relatives, so I never had
to look at their international shipping charges. The ansmann charger
recommended by Bob is good, too. Compare the prices including shipping
and taking into account currency conversion. Also, make sure you're
looking at the price for the Maha with the international power pack.