filter ring wrenches?

Old April 23rd 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lawrence_Glickman

Default filter ring wrenches?

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:42:57 -0700 (PDT), "d.s."
wrote:

I've got a rotating polarizer filter stuck to my uv filter on my
camera. I don't remember over-tightening it, but it's been on there
for 1.5 years with no removal.

I can't get it unstuck, and neither could the guys at the camera store
(who were only using their hands).

Is there some sort of wrench that will grip this? Filter size is
67mm.

I thought of tossing the thing in the freezer, but worried that I
would end up drawing moisture into the Polarizer.

Put a rubber band around the filter rim, hold the lens barrel very
tightly, turn filter off lens

Old April 24th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:45:19 -0500, Lawrence_Glickman
wrote:

[snip]
Put a rubber band around the filter rim, hold the lens barrel very
tightly, turn filter off lens

I second that. Other times I've used my trouser belt.

--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu

Website : www.MetalVortex.com
Contact : www.MetalVortex.com/contact

Blog : www.MetalVortex.com/blog
Experimental : www.NinjaTrek.com

Brain! Brain! What is brain?!
Old April 24th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Lawrence_Glickman

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:56:45 -0700 (PDT), "d.s."
wrote:

wrote:
I've got a rotating polarizer filter stuck to my uv filter on my
camera. *I don't remember over-tightening it, but it's been on there
for 1.5 years with no removal.

I can't get it unstuck, and neither could the guys at the camera store
(who were only using their hands).

Is there some sort of wrench that will grip this? *Filter size is
67mm.

I thought of tossing the thing in the freezer, but worried that I
would end up drawing moisture into the Polarizer.

Put a rubber band around the filter rim, hold the lens barrel very
tightly, turn filter off lens

Tried all that. Took it to a camera shop and looks like some gunk got
into the threads, likely an electrolyte replacement drink I use on
hikes. I thought the stuff had only gotten on the camera strap.

Took it to a repair shop and he finally figured it out, ran a knife
blade around the interface between the two filters, then wrenched it
free.

A Happy outcome is always good to hear.

I had thoughts of *other ways* to do this without damaging anything,
but since the problem is already solved:

One was, with lens off the camera, lay out some ice cubes in a bowl to
keep them all together. Allow the filter end to contact and lay on
the ice cubes until it melted into the depth of the flange. Then wipe
it off, put the rubber band on, twist it off. The ice presumably
would shrink the filter band faster than it could the lens threads,
because of the mass differential.

Fortunately, the rubber bands have always worked for me and I've never
had to resort to anything more invasive.

Lg

Old April 28th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John[_15_]

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:35:26 GMT, Ray Paseur
wrote:

Lawrence_Glickman wrote in
:

wrote:
On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:42:57 -0700 (PDT), "d.s."

wrote:
I've got a rotating polarizer filter stuck snip

When this happened to me, the guy at the camera shop said to place the lens
face-down on the table and press down hard as I rotated it. Worked like a
charm - I never would have thought of that. ~Ray

Okay, I'll try that if I run into this situation again. Right now I
have *digital UV 67mm* on my 18-135mm, and don't want it to come off.
I put it on tight about a month ago, and it seems like it is welded in
place right now.

I cannot remove it by hand at the moment. So let me try something:

ICE CUBES IN BOWL
towel on my lap

One ice cube, pushed into filter ring along its' circumferace. Pick
up end of towel to grasp filter...comes off like I put it on just one
minute ago.

This is a viable solution to the problem. It is tested here and works
fast with no damage to anything.

Lg