A New Name For Rodinal?

Old February 9th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Default A New Name For Rodinal?

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:
How difficult is it to obtain the raw chemicals to make
developer there? Some are considered hazardous materials. In
the US there is a sort of paranoia about anything chemical
even though you can buy really dangerous stuff for house
cleaning at any grocery store.

We are even more paranoid about cleaners. For example, you can no longer
buy ammonia here.

A variety of good developers can be made up with very
few supplies. The main ones are sodium Sulfite, sodium
carbonate, sodium hydroxide, borax (sodium metaborate or
Kodalk can be made in solution from the last two), potassium
bromide "Metol", hydroquinone. More can be made if you can
obtain Phenidone in some form (like Kodak Dimezone). Even a
Rodinal clone can be made although the exact Rodinal formula
and method of manufacture continues to be proprietary.

There is a chemical supply store here, although I have never dealt with them.
They will sell things like sodium hydroxide (lye), but I'm not sure what
else they have. Most places that sell chemicals or lab equipment require
a tax number.

There are few swimming pools, so no one sells sulfite, borax and washing soda
are not used for cleaning here. When I wanted baking soda to use in cooking,
I had to buy it in a 100 gram bottle at the pharmacy. Now you can get it in
the supermarket (Arm and Hammer brand no less).

What I need to do is figure out how to make a developer from Akamol
(the local generic Tylenol) baking soda and salt. :-)

At what point do you say all this is to much trouble and move to a more
hospitable country?

^^-^^ 09:20:01 up 19 days, 1:11, 3 users, load average: 4.20, 4.18, 4.17
Old February 9th 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
We are even more paranoid ...

Paranoia being a delusional and self-destructive mental aberration ...

I would rather suffer loss than suffer paranoia.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Old February 14th 09, 12:04 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Murray

I've had chems and film from fotoimpex both to Australia (and France,
to save on their horrendous postage charges) with no problems.
The US in particular seems to be the fly in the ointment.
Canada comes a close second - they consider hydroquinone as dangerous.
And yet, air mail to Alaska or Hawaii from the lower 48 doesn't
appear to be a biggie. Most curious. As you can see I have used
various methods to circumvent the mindless rulings against
'corrosive' and 'dangerous' photographic chems that have been
around for a century which have been quite safe.

Geoffrey - consider the 'work-arounds' :-)

Murray

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

(Geoffrey S. Mendelson) writes:

When you order something does it go airmail? I assume you can put something in
a truck in Germany and expect it to arrive in Finland, you can't do that
here.

Actually I don't know, the latest shipment is coming via DHL, I guess
they drive it in a truck. I have no knowledge of the different
possible ways how goods can be delivered to Israel, but I wonder if
it's possible to order something from Greece or Italy and have it
shipped by a boat on the Mediterranean? Or if someone in Germany
sends it via DHL, would it go on land until it reaches Greece, and
then by ship to Israel. This is actually interesting though totally
useless information for me, so please contact the people at
fotoimpex.de or monochrom.com and ask them about shipping options, and
report back here when they answer

Old March 5th 09, 06:51 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
JCowie

Keith Tapscott. wrote:
David Nebenzahl;794381 Wrote:
On 2/8/2009 11:18 AM Keith Tapscott. spake thus:
-
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...e-change.html-

"Blazinal"? WTF?!?!?! Say it ain't so.

It's still a "CRAPPY DEVELOPER", compared to others that are easily
available. (Does last a long time, I will give it that.)
I don`t use the stuff either David. I just wanted to point out that it

will no longer be called Rodinal as the new manufacturers are not
allowed to use the old Agfa trade names.

Get "The Darkroom Cookbook" by Steve Anchell or easier yet check the
APUG site which has quite a few developer formulas in it.

where can you buy rodinal lately? [email protected] In The Darkroom 28 December 11th 05 11:31 PM
Pan-F with Rodinal (1:100) Matt McGrattan In The Darkroom 30 March 29th 05 04:43 PM
Pan-F with Rodinal (1:100) Matt McGrattan In The Darkroom 0 March 25th 05 09:20 PM
Rodinal Hektor Gonzal In The Darkroom 67 April 7th 04 03:32 PM
Rodinal Alparslan In The Darkroom 14 April 3rd 04 10:23 PM