A New Name For Rodinal?

Old February 8th 09, 08:18 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Talking A New Name For Rodinal?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...me-change.html
Old February 9th 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

Default A New Name For Rodinal?

On 2/8/2009 11:18 AM Keith Tapscott. spake thus:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...me-change.html

"Blazinal"? WTF?!?!?! Say it ain't so.

It's still a crappy developer, compared to others that are easily
available. (Does last a long time, I will give it that.)

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Old February 9th 09, 06:09 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

David Nebenzahl wrote:

It's still a crappy developer, compared to others that are easily
available. (Does last a long time, I will give it that.)

Personally, my favorite developer is FG7, formerly made by Edwal, then
by Falcon Saftey Products, now made by someone else. Unfortuantely since
it is now considered a hazmat for air travel, the only way I'll ever
see it is to send bottle of it by boat. One or two I might be able
to get in the country for personal use, but a case would require
an import permit.

Considering my choices for ready made developer are now limited (by
looking around the one store that has anything approaching fresh),
to HC-110 and a similar Tetnal concentrate, I'd would not be so
harsh on Rodinal.

Easily available is relative, and considering the shrinking developer
market, you had better get used to it.

Geoff.

Old February 9th 09, 06:20 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
David Nebenzahl

On 2/8/2009 9:09 PM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

It's still a crappy developer, compared to others that are easily
available. (Does last a long time, I will give it that.)

Personally, my favorite developer is FG7, formerly made by Edwal, then
by Falcon Saftey Products, now made by someone else. Unfortuantely since
it is now considered a hazmat for air travel, the only way I'll ever
see it is to send bottle of it by boat. One or two I might be able
to get in the country for personal use, but a case would require
an import permit.

Considering my choices for ready made developer are now limited (by
looking around the one store that has anything approaching fresh),
to HC-110 and a similar Tetnal concentrate, I'd would not be so
harsh on Rodinal.

Easily available is relative, and considering the shrinking developer
market, you had better get used to it.

No, *you* had better get used to it. I live in a place (the U.S.) where
one still has a reasonable choice of developers, not the weird sort of
fortress that Israel apparently is.

Old February 9th 09, 06:59 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel
N3OWJ/4X1GM

How difficult is it to obtain the raw chemicals to make
developer there? Some are considered hazardous materials. In
the US there is a sort of paranoia about anything chemical
even though you can buy really dangerous stuff for house
cleaning at any grocery store.
A variety of good developers can be made up with very
few supplies. The main ones are sodium Sulfite, sodium
carbonate, sodium hydroxide, borax (sodium metaborate or
Kodalk can be made in solution from the last two), potassium
bromide "Metol", hydroquinone. More can be made if you can
obtain Phenidone in some form (like Kodak Dimezone). Even a
Rodinal clone can be made although the exact Rodinal formula
and method of manufacture continues to be proprietary.
Add sodium or ammonium thiosulfate to the above for
fixing baths (non hardening) and sodium metabisulfite (use
where sodium bisulfite is specified) or acetic acid and
potassium aluminum sulfate for hardening fixing baths. A
very fine grain developer similar to Microdol-X can be made
with the above plus pure sodium chloride (beware some table
salt has other things in it).

Formulas are readily available on the web and no
specialized equipment is needed to make them.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Old February 9th 09, 07:49 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

David Nebenzahl wrote:
No, *you* had better get used to it. I live in a place (the U.S.) where
one still has a reasonable choice of developers, not the weird sort of
fortress that Israel apparently is.

No, the fortress is actually the U.S. The problems with importing developers
are that since they are post 9/11 considered hazmats, they have to
sent by ship. Since they are labeled hazmats, they have will need to have
some documentation that they are not hazardous enough to be concerned
about.

If they were not labeled hazmats, or not prohibited by the airlines, they
could just be stuffed in a suitcase.

A friend recently sent a suitcase of things for us via a third party. Nothing
real interesting, a very old laptop computer for parts, candy, books, etc.
To makes things easy, she included a manifest and left it unlocked. When it
got here it was locked. Inside was a note saying that a TSA agent inspected
the contents and for our safety, locked it.

The problems with shipping by boat is the cost and since it only makes sense
to ship a case, someone will want an import permit, and since it is now on
a list of hazmats, documentation that it is safe to ship and import.

What I think will be the problem with getting developers in the U.S. is
a matter of demand and liability. Eventually US shippers will no longer
accept, for liability reasons, hazmats. All someone needs is to have a
bottle of developer break on a UPS truck, and get on an employee and that
will end their carrying them. :-(

Geoff.

Old February 9th 09, 08:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Richard Knoppow wrote:

How difficult is it to obtain the raw chemicals to make
developer there? Some are considered hazardous materials. In
the US there is a sort of paranoia about anything chemical
even though you can buy really dangerous stuff for house
cleaning at any grocery store.

We are even more paranoid about cleaners. For example, you can no longer
buy ammonia here.

A variety of good developers can be made up with very
few supplies. The main ones are sodium Sulfite, sodium
carbonate, sodium hydroxide, borax (sodium metaborate or
Kodalk can be made in solution from the last two), potassium
bromide "Metol", hydroquinone. More can be made if you can
obtain Phenidone in some form (like Kodak Dimezone). Even a
Rodinal clone can be made although the exact Rodinal formula
and method of manufacture continues to be proprietary.

There is a chemical supply store here, although I have never dealt with them.
They will sell things like sodium hydroxide (lye), but I'm not sure what
else they have. Most places that sell chemicals or lab equipment require
a tax number.

There are few swimming pools, so no one sells sulfite, borax and washing soda
are not used for cleaning here. When I wanted baking soda to use in cooking,
I had to buy it in a 100 gram bottle at the pharmacy. Now you can get it in
the supermarket (Arm and Hammer brand no less).

What I need to do is figure out how to make a developer from Akamol
(the local generic Tylenol) baking soda and salt. :-)

Geoff.
Old February 9th 09, 12:57 PM
Keith Tapscott. Keith Tapscott. is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Nebenzahl View Post
On 2/8/2009 11:18 AM Keith Tapscott. spake thus:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...me-change.html

"Blazinal"? WTF?!?!?! Say it ain't so.

It's still a "CRAPPY DEVELOPER", compared to others that are easily
available. (Does last a long time, I will give it that.)
I don`t use the stuff either David. I just wanted to point out that it will no longer be called Rodinal as the new manufacturers are not allowed to use the old Agfa trade names.
Old February 9th 09, 02:54 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Toni Nikkanen wrote:

Why not order from the EU then? I routinely order all kinds of liquid
developers from Germany and UK and no-one's plane has blown up yet.

Thanks, I assumed (you can take what you want from that) the rules were
worldwide.

When you order something does it go airmail? I assume you can put something in
a truck in Germany and expect it to arrive in Finland, you can't do that
here.

Geoff.

where can you buy rodinal lately? [email protected] In The Darkroom 28 December 12th 05 12:31 AM
Pan-F with Rodinal (1:100) Matt McGrattan In The Darkroom 30 March 29th 05 04:43 PM
Pan-F with Rodinal (1:100) Matt McGrattan In The Darkroom 0 March 25th 05 10:20 PM
Rodinal Hektor Gonzal In The Darkroom 67 April 7th 04 03:32 PM
Rodinal Alparslan In The Darkroom 14 April 3rd 04 10:23 PM