A blurry photo

Old March 3rd 14, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

Default A blurry photo

On 2014-03-02 06:58:37 +0000, John Turco said:

On 11/10/2013 1:39 PM, Savageduck wrote:

heavily edited for brevity

Neither of these two finished images were in my opinion ready to share
directly from the camera, and I doubt that even the best of the "do it
all by getting it right in the camera with one shot" school truly
believe that all should be done in the camera, even when it came to
Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, or any of the Group f/64 photographers.
https://db.tt/CEiaAZjp

Some drastic post-processing, there.

So?
What part of the PP was drastic? Was it perhaps the B&W conversion
because the original was color?
What is the point of having the tools and not using them?
Adams certainly tinkered with images in the darkroom, and what you have
there isn't anything more than me noodling about with my digital
darkroom to get to a B&W image.

It was merely an observation, rather than a criticism. I never shoot
RAW images, so, I've done little PP.

https://db.tt/z2LTtS1S

Much better! The mighty Vought F4U "Corsair" (which the Japanese
allegedly nicknamed, the "Whistling Death").

Well just for you, here is something a little less glamorous.
https://db.tt/905H60Ec

That's the dreaded Republic P-47 "Thunderbolt" (the U.S. Army's
equivalent of the U.S. Navy's Corsair, with the latter also
operated by the USMC).

...but if you want to see some drastic PP try this for size.
https://db.tt/PUskVszS

Weird...the picture looks like cloth or canvas.

John
Old March 4th 14, 12:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-02 06:58:37 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

Yup! My father started out flying a P-47D, then after three months in
New Guinea, his squadron switched back to P-38Js & P-38Ls.

Here he is at Dobodura, New Guinea with his P-47, "BigAsBurd".
https://db.tt/17ViYIJ7

....and at Biak Island in his P-38L.
https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

...but if you want to see some drastic PP try this for size.
https://db.tt/PUskVszS

Weird...the picture looks like cloth or canvas.

Just fooling around with texture overlays to get a different result.

Savageduck

Old March 5th 14, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

On 2014-03-02 06:58:37 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

A handsome young man, eh?

...and at Biak Island in his P-38L.
https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

Nice shot.

...but if you want to see some drastic PP try this for size.
https://db.tt/PUskVszS

Weird...the picture looks like cloth or canvas.

Just fooling around with texture overlays to get a different result.

"Different" is the right word, but...I like it!

John
Old March 5th 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-03-02 06:58:37 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

That was in 1943.

...and at Biak Island in his P-38L.
https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

Nice shot.

....and that was in 1944 just before they were the first fighter
squadron at Tacloban for the Leyte campaign.
https://db.tt/FnlPOj1D

and here he is at 90 at his new apartment last November.
https://db.tt/wyk6bx0j

...but if you want to see some drastic PP try this for size.
https://db.tt/PUskVszS

Weird...the picture looks like cloth or canvas.

Just fooling around with texture overlays to get a different result.

"Different" is the right word, but...I like it!

....and here is one of my P-38 shots given a texture treatment.
https://db.tt/aIGLzSky

Savageduck

Old March 7th 14, 02:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
John Turco

On 2014-03-02 06:58:37 +0000, John Turco said:

[...]

I was already aware it's an old photo.

...and at Biak Island in his P-38L.
https://db.tt/uHYaWaFm

Nice shot.

...and that was in 1944 just before they were the first fighter squadron
at Tacloban for the Leyte campaign.
https://db.tt/FnlPOj1D

Awesome! The Lockheed P-38 "Lighting" was a big and intimidating
fighter plane.

and here he is at 90 at his new apartment last November.
https://db.tt/wyk6bx0j

He seems to have aged well.

...but if you want to see some drastic PP try this for size.
https://db.tt/PUskVszS

Weird...the picture looks like cloth or canvas.

Just fooling around with texture overlays to get a different result.

"Different" is the right word, but...I like it!

...and here is one of my P-38 shots given a texture treatment.
https://db.tt/aIGLzSky

A stunning picture of the deadly P-38, which the Germans nicknamed
"Der Gabelschwanz Teufel" ("fork-tailed devil").

John