canon s3is

Old March 10th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
gehdac

Default canon s3is

I have always only owned a point and shoot camera but was after something a
bit better without going to the expense of a DSLR.
The canon s3is has had some pretty good reviews in the net, but are there
any other comparable cameras I should also be looking at.

Cheers
GH

Old March 12th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ray

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 13:58:46 +1000, gehdac wrote:

I have always only owned a point and shoot camera but was after something a
bit better without going to the expense of a DSLR.
The canon s3is has had some pretty good reviews in the net, but are there
any other comparable cameras I should also be looking at.

Cheers
GH

There are quite a number of similar cameras. I would suggest you look
around. The s31s is what is termed an 'EVF' camera. Characteristics are a
long zoom and an Electronic ViewFinder. Most of these cameras have an EVF
with a resolution of 110k pixels or thereabouts - you may or may not find
that to be adequate - you need to find a camera store and look through
some of them. The Kodak EVFs generally have a resolution of 237k pixels -
and for me, they look a lot better. The Kodak P series also has the
ability to save in raw, tiff or jpeg formats - I believe the s31s only
does jpeg - another feature which may or may not be important to you. I
recently purchased a Kodak P850 from the Kodak online store - I believe
they are going for about $225 now - I'm quite pleased with it. Recently,
some other manufacturers have started selling EVFs with a higher
resolution viewfinder - note, that we're talking here about the resolution
of the viewfinder - the back panel LCDs, I think, are always about 110k
pixels, and this has nothing to do with the camera's photo resolution
which, of course, is several megapixels.

Old March 13th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
sally

ray wrote in
news
There are quite a number of similar cameras. I would suggest you look
around. The s31s is what is termed an 'EVF' camera. Characteristics are
a long zoom and an Electronic ViewFinder.

Here in the USA, these are usually called "superzoom" cameras. The main
brands are Canon, Panasonic, and Sony. The new Olympus model looks very good
as well (announced, but apparently not in stores yet).
Old March 17th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ray

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:19:26 +0000, sally wrote:

ray wrote in
news
There are quite a number of similar cameras. I would suggest you look
around. The s31s is what is termed an 'EVF' camera. Characteristics are
a long zoom and an Electronic ViewFinder.

Here in the USA, these are usually called "superzoom" cameras. The main
brands are Canon, Panasonic, and Sony. The new Olympus model looks very good
as well (announced, but apparently not in stores yet).

Actually, here in the USA, these are frequently referred to as EVF
cameras. BTW - I think Kodak makes some of the better ones - particularly
the P series. They will save raw, tiff and jpeg and have a full manual
mode, exposure bracketing, etc. Have pretty much everything that a DLSR
has except the changeable lenses.

Old March 17th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
U-Know-Who

"ray" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:19:26 +0000, sally wrote:

ray wrote in
news
There are quite a number of similar cameras. I would suggest you look
around. The s31s is what is termed an 'EVF' camera. Characteristics are
a long zoom and an Electronic ViewFinder.

Here in the USA, these are usually called "superzoom" cameras. The main
brands are Canon, Panasonic, and Sony. The new Olympus model looks very
good
as well (announced, but apparently not in stores yet).

Actually, here in the USA, these are frequently referred to as EVF
cameras. BTW - I think Kodak makes some of the better ones - particularly
the P series. They will save raw, tiff and jpeg and have a full manual
mode, exposure bracketing, etc. Have pretty much everything that a DLSR
has except the changeable lenses.

You're kidding, right? Everything but the changeable lenses? LOL!

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 17th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ray

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:54:56 -0500, U-Know-Who wrote:

"ray" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:19:26 +0000, sally wrote:

ray wrote in
news There are quite a number of similar cameras. I would suggest you look
around. The s31s is what is termed an 'EVF' camera. Characteristics are
a long zoom and an Electronic ViewFinder.

Here in the USA, these are usually called "superzoom" cameras. The main
brands are Canon, Panasonic, and Sony. The new Olympus model looks very
good
as well (announced, but apparently not in stores yet).

Actually, here in the USA, these are frequently referred to as EVF
cameras. BTW - I think Kodak makes some of the better ones - particularly
the P series. They will save raw, tiff and jpeg and have a full manual
mode, exposure bracketing, etc. Have pretty much everything that a DLSR
has except the changeable lenses.

You're kidding, right? Everything but the changeable lenses? LOL!

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to other missing features?

Old March 21st 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
U-Know-Who

"ray" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 15:54:56 -0500, U-Know-Who wrote:

"ray" wrote in message
news
[...]

Oh, lens length, speed of multiple shots, speed of single shots after
pushing the shutter button, shall I go on?

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 23rd 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ray

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:00:58 -0500, U-Know-Who wrote:

news

"ray" wrote in message
news On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 05:19:26 +0000, sally wrote:

[...]

Please do. I have a 12x zoom, about 35-400mm equiv, and there is a 0.7x
wide angle adapter and a 1.4x - I really think that is what I will need. I
can take multiple shots and single shots.

http://www.usenet.com

Old March 25th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
U-Know-Who

"ray" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:00:58 -0500, U-Know-Who wrote:

news

"ray" wrote in message
[...]

Don't get me wrong...I actually would love to have an S3IS. It's a great
point and shoot. But it is only a P&S. Hence the poor shot to shot speed,
and the limits of the built in lens. Yes, it has *most* of the things a dslr
has, but it just will not perform as well. And don't be fooled by the
adapters...yes, they will work somewhat, but image quality will suffer. They
will not be as sharp and bright as those with just the lens. You may also
lose autofocus. I suppose it all boils down to what your needs are, and the
S3IS may just fit the bill. But please do not think that it is *anywhere*
close to being in the same league as even the cheapest DSLR.

If you are serious about photography, and I suspect you are, you will soon
find yourself owning a DSLR for your more serious "keeper" shots.

Been down that road already, got the t-shirt, wear it proudly, and still
have a really nice P&S. (Sony DSC H-1)

Please

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 27th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.photo.marketplace.digital
ray

If you are serious about photography, and I suspect you are, you will soon
find yourself owning a DSLR for your more serious "keeper" shots.

That's very possible. So far I cannot justify the cost. For now, I'm happy
with the Kodak P850. It is my third digital, and I still have my Minolta
SRT202 35mm SLR. Currently, I'm more interested in portability (hiking and
snowshoeing) than I am in the extra 'quality'. Most of my photography is
done on trips to Yellowstone and other parks and national forest areas
where I'm there to hike, bike, showshoe and observe and photograph
wildlife. For 'high quality' shots when I'm in a position to use a tripod,
I usually reach for the SRT. My first digital was a Kodak DC 210+ which
still works very well, so I'm not exactly a novice to digital photography.

canon s3is gehdac Digital Photography 17 March 12th 07 02:36 AM
Choice of SD card for S3IS? John Ortt Digital Photography 3 February 22nd 07 02:44 PM
Canon should be totally ashamed of this (and some others too) HP got this basic and absolutely essential thing right in their little digicam that's cheap even for a P&S, so why can't Canon?!! Yes, I know, there's more to the Canon 20D, but w Mike Henley Digital Photography 58 December 15th 04 05:21 PM