Holy Crap! Doesn't anyone talk photography here?

Old June 18th 04, 12:11 PM
lcseds

Default Holy Crap! Doesn't anyone talk photography here?

Just joined this newsgroup. Thought it would be of great value. But only 25%
of the posts are photography related.

Anyone know of any useful photog newsgroups?

Old June 18th 04, 12:29 PM
Mike Lipphardt

I would go to yahoo groups and find one that you are interested in. Many
are moderated, and the signal to noise ratio is much better than here. For
instance, Minolta has a large membership (more than 3000), and is hugely
helpful and friendly, and the moderation is very light. Seems like this
newsgroup has greatly degenerated in the past year or so, to the point that
it is practically useless.

Mike

Old June 18th 04, 12:47 PM
Lionel

Kibo informs me that "lcseds" stated that:

Just joined this newsgroup. Thought it would be of great value. But only 25%
of the posts are photography related.

Yeah, we're having a bad day here with various trolls that are going
nutso. My advice is to try again in a few days or so.

Anyone know of any useful photog newsgroups?

rec.photo.moderated is free of this crap.

Old June 18th 04, 02:00 PM
Mike Lipphardt

"Lionel" wrote in message
Kibo informs me that "lcseds" stated that:

Just joined this newsgroup. Thought it would be of great value. But only

25%
of the posts are photography related.

Yeah, we're having a bad day here with various trolls that are going
nutso. My advice is to try again in a few days or so.

Anyone know of any useful photog newsgroups?

rec.photo.moderated is free of this crap.

rpm is also almost inactive. I haven't seen a post in two days. And the
robomoderator is kind of flaky in any case.

Mike

Old June 18th 04, 07:47 PM
Gordon Moat

lcseds wrote:

Just joined this newsgroup. Thought it would be of great value. But only 25%
of the posts are photography related.

Anyone know of any useful photog newsgroups?

I do think that a moderated group might be the only good choice. Far too many
juvenile trolls on this group, including several that should just commit
suicide, though unfortunately they are too cowardly to do so. They know they
want to die, and think about it often, but they are not brave enough. They are
reading this message and evening thinking about suicide . . . no friends . . .
very little contact with others in person . . . no way to reach out other than
the computer . . . . . . . .

Old June 18th 04, 10:03 PM
Sabineellen

no friends . . .
very little contact with others in person . . . no way to reach out other
than
the computer . . . . . . . .

that's offensive to people who have "no friends... very little contact with
others in person . . " (gee, why am i in an empathic mood tonight)... I assure
you that there are plenty of introverts who are quite nice. In fact, the
majority of introverts i have known, though shy, were extremely nice; most of
the trouble i've personally had from people was from the beer-drinking
overly-extroverted type, you know, think fratboys.

Old June 18th 04, 10:19 PM
TP

Gordon Moat wrote:

I do think that a moderated group might be the only good choice. Far too many
juvenile trolls on this group, including several that should just commit
suicide, though unfortunately they are too cowardly to do so. They know they
want to die, and think about it often, but they are not brave enough. They are
reading this message and evening thinking about suicide . . . no friends . . .
very little contact with others in person . . . no way to reach out other than
the computer . . . . . . . .

Poor Alan Browne. I almost shed a tear for him just then.

But not quite.

;-)

Old June 19th 04, 12:46 AM
Gordon Moat

Sabineellen wrote:

no friends . . .
very little contact with others in person . . . no way to reach out other
than
the computer . . . . . . . .

that's offensive to people who have "no friends... very little contact with
others in person . . " (gee, why am i in an empathic mood tonight)... I assure
you that there are plenty of introverts who are quite nice. In fact, the
majority of introverts i have known, though shy, were extremely nice; most of
the trouble i've personally had from people was from the beer-drinking
overly-extroverted type, you know, think fratboys.

No offence in your direction intended. The message is intended for the coward
trolls who spread racism and hatred in their statements. Slander of any ethnic
group spreads hatred, and I see it in far too many of their comments. These are
the sort of people who are just on the edge of physically harming others, and
they should be stopped before they do so.

Old June 19th 04, 12:48 AM
Gordon Moat

TP wrote:

Gordon Moat wrote:

[...]

Hatred of others is building greatly in many parts of the world. There is nothing
good that can come of this trend.