Rumours of Nikon D800 at Photokina - 24 MP and 1080P video

Old August 24th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Robert Coe

Default Rumours of Nikon D800 at Photokina - 24 MP and 1080P video

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:43:52 +0100, Bruce wrote:
: Bowser wrote:
:
: On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:58:41 +0100, Bruce
: wrote:
:
: Bowser wrote:
:
: They've never explicitly said "we use Sony" but we all knew it.
:
:
: Then why did you deny it a few days ago?
:
: I only denied that their latest cam, the D3100 uses a Sony sensor.
: But, the fact is, Nikon has never named their supplier so we're all
: speculating. My comment above should have included quotes around "we
: all knew it" to indicate a hint of sarcasm.
:
: Can we speculate on Canon's supplier now?
:
:
: OK, let me guess. Canon?

Jeez, maybe they're Nikon's new supplier! ;^)

: But the big question is, who makes the steppers used to manufacture
: Canon's sensors? ;-)

I dunno. Intel?

Bob
Old August 28th 10, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Chris Malcolm[_2_]

In rec.photo.digital Bowser wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
Robert Coe wrote:

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:56:39 -0400, Bowser wrote:
: On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 11:17:07 +0100, Bruce
: wrote:
:
: Only a rumour, and it's also in French, which probably adds a certain
: 'je ne sais quoi'. But for what it's worth, here it is:
: http://preview.tinyurl.com/33jqte8
: or:
:
http://www.reportagesphotos.fr/A2246...ikon-d700.html
: So it's basically the 24 MP sensor from the D3X in a D700 body, with
: added Full HD video. No surprises.
:
: The rumour originated from a Chinese e-commerce site www.zol.com.cn.
:
: There is also a rumour from a Russian site of a Nikon D400 to replace
: the D300s. It suggests the D400 will have "only" 14.2 MP, presumably
: using the same Sony sensor as the D3100. If so, it's disappointing.
:
:
:
: But is it a Sony sensor? Thom Hogan seems to think not:
:
: "Update: I've now heard even more details about the D3100 sensor and
: from a few sources closer to Nikon Japan. It does indeed appear that
: Nikon has moved to producing their own sensors. They may be licensing
: or cooperating on some of the underlying technologies, but it appears
: that Nikon has decided that Nikon DSLRs will in the future have
: Nikon-controlled and Nikon-exclusive sensors. That they haven't chosen
: to make a bigger deal of this is strange. And some parts of Nikon
: appear not to have gotten the memo on this, as I've seen quotes from
: Nikon personnel in some subsidiaries that say "Sony sensor."

The simplest of the possible explanations for Nikon's "strange" behavior
is
that the story isn't true.

Over the last couple of years, Nikon seems to have adopted a policy of
not saying anything about changes in the product line to anyone who
will use the Internet to broadcast it.

Thom Hogan used to have access to a lot of advance information from
Nikon. But now, he is reduced to guessing, just like the rest of us.

Part of his speculation is based on the different physical sizes of the Sony
and Nikon sensors. The new Nikons are now a 1.55X crop, meaning they use a
physically smaller sensor than the Sony (based on "internet" information on
DP Review)

Not necessarily. They could simply have a different policy about how
close to the sensor edge to run the image. Since Nikon use in-lens
image stabilisation and Sony in-body it wouldn't be too surprising if
their different technologies required different edge policies.

--
Chris Malcolm