Nikon 85 mm f/1.4G

Old August 24th 10, 02:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default Nikon 85 mm f/1.4G

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:14:27 +0200, Robert Spanjaard
wrote:
: On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:53:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:
:
: My wife has a 550D (here they call it the T2i), and I have a 50D. We
: each have the old Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 as our everyday lens. It's really
: not a bad lens. Its AF is neither as fast nor as consistent as one might
: wish, but we've gotten some very sharp pictures with ours. I've also
: gotten good results with my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 telephoto. I suspect
: that the lesson is that Sigma makes decent lenses except when they
: wander into the realm of really long zoom ranges. I'd consider buying
: the new Sigma unless the reviewers start finding serious problems with
: it.
:
: The only decent Sigma lenses are their review samples.
:
: Seems like I bought a couple of review samples then.

Yeah, me too.

Bob
Old August 24th 10, 01:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Ruether[_3_]

wrote:
: On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 09:53:48 +0100, Bruce wrote:

: My wife has a 550D (here they call it the T2i), and I have a 50D. We
: each have the old Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 as our everyday lens. It's really
: not a bad lens. Its AF is neither as fast nor as consistent as one might
: wish, but we've gotten some very sharp pictures with ours. I've also
: gotten good results with my Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 telephoto. I suspect
: that the lesson is that Sigma makes decent lenses except when they
: wander into the realm of really long zoom ranges. I'd consider buying
: the new Sigma unless the reviewers start finding serious problems with
: it.

: The only decent Sigma lenses are their review samples.

: Seems like I bought a couple of review samples then.

Yeah, me too.

Bob

I've had a couple, too - and I still keep one since it is both
uniquely excellent + compact (one of Sigma's 8mm fisheye
versions).
--DR

Old August 25th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Me

wrote:
[...]

I've only got two Sigma lenses, and they're both excellent.
A US company, "Lensrentals" slags Sigma, but they compare mainly Sigma
consumer lenses with Canon/Nikon expensive pro range.