Pasting from IrfanView to PaintShop Pro

Old August 22nd 14, 09:45 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Terry Pinnell

Default Pasting from IrfanView to PaintShop Pro

Any others here who use both IrfanView and Paintshop Pro 8?

If so I'd be interested to know if you've had the following problem
please.

I open a JPG in IrfanView and use Ctrl + C to copy a section of it to
the clipboard. As soon as I try to paste that with Ctrl + V into
PaintShop Pro 8, it closes without warning. Well, on 95% of occasions.
Strangely, a couple of times the new image has been opened correctly
in PSP8, which may point to some sort of timing issue.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old August 22nd 14, 10:50 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:45:56 +0100, Terry Pinnell
wrote:

Any others here who use both IrfanView and Paintshop Pro 8?

If so I'd be interested to know if you've had the following problem
please.

I open a JPG in IrfanView and use Ctrl + C to copy a section of it to
the clipboard. As soon as I try to paste that with Ctrl + V into
PaintShop Pro 8, it closes without warning. Well, on 95% of occasions.
Strangely, a couple of times the new image has been opened correctly
in PSP8, which may point to some sort of timing issue.

There may be an easier way. You should be able to drag and drop a jpg
straight into Paint Shop Pro and then crop the section of file you
wish to retain.

Eric Stevens
Old August 22nd 14, 01:19 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
John Weston

In article ,
says...

Any others here who use both IrfanView and Paintshop Pro 8?

If so I'd be interested to know if you've had the following problem
please.

I open a JPG in IrfanView and use Ctrl + C to copy a section of it to
the clipboard. As soon as I try to paste that with Ctrl + V into
PaintShop Pro 8, it closes without warning. Well, on 95% of occasions.
Strangely, a couple of times the new image has been opened correctly
in PSP8, which may point to some sort of timing issue.

I've just tested your procedure and it works fine for me using
PSP X6-64bit and probably also the 32bit version - Perhaps it's
been fixed between the old v8 and V16 (X6)?

In IrfanView, I regularly use an "Open with External Editor"
command (e.g. shift+1) and have the PSPX6 program defined in
the first external editor field. That allows the rapid startup
and basic features of Irfanview to preceed a more complex edit
for a specific purpose. I don't include the cropping of the
image as an IrfavView task, so I don't need the "services" of
the clipboard, which I have known to introduce problems.

I wouldn't recommend doing changes in IrfanViw before editing
with PSP since you will lose the PSP feature of saving the
original image in the Auto-preserve folder - you never know
when you might need this :-)

--
John W
Old August 22nd 14, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

I use IV for viewing and I use PSP 5 and 16. But why would
you open the image in IV in the first place if you want to
work on it? As Eric said, just drop the file into PSP.

I tried what you describe in PSP5 and it worked fine. Though
that's the first time I've ever tried it. I don't generally use
keyboard shortcuts. I use Edit - Paste as New Image. If
you want to keep using the same method maybe it would be
worth trying that. (It should be exactly the same thing as
Ctl+V, but one never knows.)

news | Any others here who use both IrfanView and Paintshop Pro 8?

Old August 22nd 14, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
VanguardLH

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Any others here who use both IrfanView and Paintshop Pro 8?

If so I'd be interested to know if you've had the following problem
please.

I open a JPG in IrfanView and use Ctrl + C to copy a section of it to
the clipboard. As soon as I try to paste that with Ctrl + V into
PaintShop Pro 8, it closes without warning. Well, on 95% of occasions.
Strangely, a couple of times the new image has been opened correctly
in PSP8, which may point to some sort of timing issue.

Perhaps the Applications section of the Event Viewer would show why PSP
is crashing. Could be you need to do a fresh install of PSP (uninstall
it, reinstall) to step/replace any corrupted or mismatched files for the
program.

I don't use PSP but wonder if it has a GPU accelerated rendering mode?
That is, does PSP have hardware acceleration? If so, disable it. The
video driver may be too flaky to use with GPU acceleration available in
some apps. For example, I have an AMD (ATI) video card and every one of
its Catalyst drivers that I've tried going back 6 versions had problems
with hardware acceleration in Internet Explorer and some apps (don't
remember which now). The event log would show the source of the app
crash was the video driver or one of its ancilliary software files.
Disabling hardware acceleration in the app eliminated its crashes.

Just before you drag from another app into PSP, how much free system
memory is there? Did you disable the pagefile in Windows or make it
real tiny? Is PSP installed on a supported version of Windows (you
didn't mention your system specs)? Is DX at version 9, or later (run
diagx.exe and look at the "DirectX Version" line to find out)?

Is this an old or new problem? Was PSP working before and then it
suddenly started crashing? Or did you install PSP and this problem has
been there from the beginning of using PSP?

What standard troubleshooting have you performed so far? Have you use
msconfig.exe to disable all startup programs, rebooted, and retested for
the problem? Have you booted Windows into its safe mode and retested?
Old August 22nd 14, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_5_]

On 8/22/2014 1:20 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:

[...]

Open a blank image in PSP, and past into the new image.

--
PeterN
Old August 23rd 14, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
VanguardLH

PeterN wrote:

Open a blank image in PSP, and past into the new image.

Hmm, you cannot paste into an existing (opened) image? Wouldn't that
severely limit the functionality of any image editor? How would you get
new stuff into the image that you are *editing*?
Old August 23rd 14, 04:16 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-23 02:08:50 +0000, VanguardLH said:

PeterN wrote:

Open a blank image in PSP, and past into the new image.

Hmm, you cannot paste into an existing (opened) image?

You should be able to if you are using layers.

Wouldn't that severely limit the functionality of any image editor?
How would you get
new stuff into the image that you are *editing*?

Personally I use layers for composite work.

Not being familiar with PSP, I can think of several different ways to
do that with Photoshop (PS).
1: Copy the open image to the Clipboard. Open PS, Menu-File-New.
Paste from Clipboard to new image window. That just takes the image
into the photo editor.

2: If you wanted to add that image to an existing image already open in
PS, repeat procedure #1 above. Now you should have two different image
windows, the image you want to add to and the new import. Select & copy
whatever you want to paste into your original from the new import.

Here is a down & dirty demo starting with an image open in PS.
I then go to an image already open in Apple's Preview, I copy that image.
Back to PS I choose menu-File-New and paste the copied image into the
new window.
Now I select the Corsair in that image making a quick rough selection
with my Quick Select tool. I copy that selection and return to the
first image and paste the selected image. I reposition it, and I am
done.

I am sure that some variation of that workflow is possible using PSP by
copying from IrfanViewer to your clipboard and then pasting to PSP.
either into a blank layer above your original image, or into its own
PSP window. I am sure the PSP users here will correct me if I am wrong.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/AddF4U.mp4

Savageduck

Old August 23rd 14, 05:41 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 20:16:28 -0700, Savageduck

On 2014-08-23 02:08:50 +0000, VanguardLH said:

PeterN wrote:

[...]

I've given the easiest way previously. Just open Paint Shop Pro and
drag the image icon for the JPG into it. No need to create new images,
layers or anything like that.

Eric Stevens
Old August 23rd 14, 06:57 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2014-08-23 02:08:50 +0000, VanguardLH said:

PeterN wrote:

[...]

OK!
As I said, I haven't a clue how PSP, & IrfanView work. I just demoed a
way it can be dne with SW I am familiar with. However, since he asked,
how well does your drag&drop method work to get the new image into the
same work space of an image already open & active in PSP?

Savageduck