D5100 File numbering...

Old March 19th 13, 06:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jake

Default D5100 File numbering...

This camera has three options, File number sequence on/off/reset.

The default is off, I guess this means that the camera will number the
photos sequentially from the last photo shot, once I wipe the card, it will
start again from DSC_0001

I don't want it to do this so I turned it to on, and shot some more photos.
However it created a new folder 101D5100 and started from DSC_0001, ignoring
the 270 or so I had already shot in 100D5100.

I renamed the files manually so the sequence matches and moved them into
100D5100, then turned the number sequence to off. But when I fill the card,
it will start shooting from DSC_0001 again, how do I get it to remember the
last number even when I wipe the card?

Turning it on the file number sequence, any further photos are at DSC_0030
or something, the thirty or so photos I shot before I realised they were all
out of sequence.

Old March 19th 13, 07:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 20/03/2013 7:51 a.m., Jake wrote:
[...]

I don't have a d5100. There's probably a setting in the "shooting menu"
part of the menu system, to change the "active folder", or allowing you
to select an existing folder or create a new folder number.
For some obscure reason, this is in a completely different part of the
menu system (at least on my nikon dslr) than the file number sequence
settings you've been looking at.
Nikon's menu system drives me nuts. Even after owning and using the
same camera for 5 years, I still have to hunt around - I don't find the
reason that they put settings i.n particular sections of the menu
intuitive at all.

Old March 19th 13, 08:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2013-03-19 11:51:55 -0700, "Jake" said:

This camera has three options, File number sequence on/off/reset.

Yup!

The default is off, I guess this means that the camera will number the
photos sequentially from the last photo shot, once I wipe the card, it will
start again from DSC_0001

When set to "Off" the file numbering will be reset to 0001 when a new
folder is created, the card is formatted, or if you put a new
(fresh/different) card into the camera. A new folder will be created if
the current folder contains 999 shots.

I don't want it to do this so I turned it to on, and shot some more photos.
However it created a new folder 101D5100 and started from DSC_0001, ignoring
the 270 or so I had already shot in 100D5100.

You can't change horses in midstream without some consequences.
If you had turned the sequence option to "On" and then formatted the
card in your camera you should have a single folder and you should have
a numbering sequence running from DSC_0001 to DSC_9999.
Changing the option without formatting the card is going to result in a
new folder being generated.

I renamed the files manually so the sequence matches and moved them into
100D5100, then turned the number sequence to off. But when I fill the card,
it will start shooting from DSC_0001 again, how do I get it to remember the
last number even when I wipe the card?

Renumbering and moving files back onto the card is not a good idea.

Set the option to "On" the numbering sequence will run from from
DSC_0001 to DSC_9999 before the camera creates a new folder and
restarts the sequence. That will happen regardless of any further card
formatting, using a different card (reformatted or not) or a new card.
Note: using a different card which has been used, but not formatted
after filling a card, will continue the numbering sequence where you
left off on the prior card, provided your folder numbering is the same
on both cards.

Formatting the card is not the same as resetting the numbering
sequence. If the numbering sequence option is set to "On" and you
"Format" the card, the numbering will remain intact from the last shot
taken.
If you "Reset", a new folder "101" will be created and the numbering
will restart at 0001. this is useful if you want to retain a numbered
sequence for a particular event.

Turning it on the file number sequence, any further photos are at DSC_0030
or something, the thirty or so photos I shot before I realised they were all
out of sequence.

The shots taken before you have developed a consistent numbering system
for yourself will just have to be renamed and/or numbered on your
computer independent of any subsequent shots you take.

Personally, I have the numbering sequence option in my D300S set to
"On". Once I have backed up the contents of a (full or partially full)
card to my computer and my redundant backup system, I "format" the card
in the camera. The numbering sequence continues from the last shot.

Savageduck

Old March 19th 13, 11:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 20/03/2013 5:51 AM, Jake wrote:
[...]

In the Custom menu - d has shooting and display d5 File number
sequence ON

It will not add shots or continue if you manually number the last file
as a starter. (has a mind of its own.)

Yes it will count the images on the card 001??? but if you look
further down (the bottom of the screen)it will also count the actual
saved files 1-9999 _DSN0001.to _DSN9999. Each folder contains 999 files
before it makes a new folder but continues the sequence.

My suggestion is to turn the sequence to ON then just shoot your images
and any images that have the same number that you have previously saved
keep as a duplicate file.

Old March 19th 13, 11:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Old March 20th 13, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:51:55 -0000, "Jake" wrote:

[...]

The system in Nikon is a bit strange, but if you want to start off with a
specific number, you need to put in a card with a photo with the last number you
want, I.E. DCP0270.

Make sure that folder is selected in the shooting menu under FOLDERS.

Set the File Number Seq. to RESET and take a picture, it will be DCP0271.

Now change the File Number Seq. to ON.

IMPORTANT: If the Nikon has in its memory the fact it took a picture numbered
higher, I.E. DCP0319, the previous might not work! It will become DCP0320!

If this happens, turn the File Number Seq. to OFF and start a new folder and
take a pic at DCP0001, then change to the folder with DCP0270, and start again
at the top of this sequence!

(An easy way to start a new folder is to put a file named DCP9999.)

I am going by my D600 but it should be the same.

Good luck!

Old March 20th 13, 01:44 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 20/03/2013 12:23 PM, wrote:
[...]

It ain't straight forward is it!
Old March 20th 13, 06:25 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 20/03/2013 01:44, Rob wrote:
[]
It ain't straight forward is it!

Yes, it's very straight forward once the file sequence numbering is set
to ON. Why that's not the default escapes me!
--
Cheers,
David
Old March 20th 13, 07:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Rob

On 20/03/2013 5:25 PM, David Taylor wrote:
On 20/03/2013 01:44, Rob wrote:
[]
It ain't straight forward is it!

Yes, it's very straight forward once the file sequence numbering is set
to ON. Why that's not the default escapes me!

Did you read my other post?

If you hadn't snipped the previous you would have seen to which I referred.
Old March 20th 13, 08:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jake

wrote in message
[...]

http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/...2/D5100_EN.pdf

The manual is here that I have read, the appropriate option appears to be on
page 180 of 260 (or page 162 of the manual)

From reading that, I shoud logically be able to put a suitably numbered file
in the 100D5100 folder, turn the numbering sequence to ON and it will
continue with that, as in some of my Canons, but the Nikon likes to create
101D5100 and start with the number in memory. When I try putting a suitably
numbered file in that newly created folder, it creates 102D5100, etc.

I will have a play around with it when I have more time and try your
suggestion, thanks!