GPS

Old August 27th 04, 06:42 PM
Mxsmanic

Keith Sheppard writes:

Over here in Europe, we are still in "before WAAS". There's been a lot of
testing activity of the European equivalent of late but still no public
service.

It must be awfully hard to test with no satellites yet in orbit.

Old August 27th 04, 07:26 PM
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:07:58 GMT, "Keith Sheppard"
wrote:

Before WAAS

Over here in Europe, we are still in "before WAAS". There's been a lot of
testing activity of the European equivalent of late but still no public
service.

That limits GPS accuracy in Europe to about the 15ft mark for the time
being.

I guess I misremembered. I thought there was a WAAS sat for Europe. My
apologies.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC

We have achieved faith-based science,
faith-based economics, faith-based law
enforcement, and faith-based missile
defense.
What's next? Faith-based air traffic control?

Old August 27th 04, 11:33 PM
Dave Martindale

Rodney Myrvaagnes writes:

I guess I misremembered. I thought there was a WAAS sat for Europe. My
apologies.

There is a WAAS-like system called EGNOS being developed. It's not
operational yet. There's a testbed called ETSB that sometimes
broadcasts signals that can be used by some GPS receivers.

Dave
Old August 28th 04, 02:20 AM
Michael Meissner

"Arty Facting" writes:

Now a combo GPS & camera? Sheesh - that is a thought!

Get yourself a Nikon D100 or D1x. These camera have a serial port that it
automatically reads from a GPS and embeds the information directly into the
EXIF information. The California coastline project
(http://www.californiacoastline.org/) used it to record the entire California
coastline, keeping track of longitude, latitude, and altitude.

--
Michael Meissner
email:
Old August 28th 04, 10:14 AM
Ron Hunter

Michael Meissner wrote:
"Arty Facting" writes:

Now a combo GPS & camera? Sheesh - that is a thought!

Get yourself a Nikon D100 or D1x. These camera have a serial port that it
automatically reads from a GPS and embeds the information directly into the
EXIF information. The California coastline project
(http://www.californiacoastline.org/) used it to record the entire California
coastline, keeping track of longitude, latitude, and altitude.

A serial port still? Sigh.
This GPS owner will NOT buy another one until they abandon this artifact
of a previous century!
Old August 28th 04, 01:59 PM
Mxsmanic

Ron Hunter writes:

A serial port still? Sigh.
This GPS owner will NOT buy another one until they abandon this artifact
of a previous century!

Why abandon it? It's adequate to the task and it's the most compatible
interface around.

Old August 28th 04, 06:16 PM
Jeremy Nixon

Mxsmanic wrote:
Ron Hunter writes:

A serial port still? Sigh.
This GPS owner will NOT buy another one until they abandon this artifact
of a previous century!

Why abandon it? It's adequate to the task and it's the most compatible
interface around.

Compatible with what? If I bought a GPS receiver with a serial port, I
wouldn't be able to plug it into *any* computer I own without some kind of
adapter.

No, I really want a nice GPS unit, but a serial port totally disqualifies
a unit from consideration.

--
Jeremy |
Old August 28th 04, 06:52 PM
Mxsmanic

Jeremy Nixon writes:

Compatible with what? If I bought a GPS receiver with a serial port, I
wouldn't be able to plug it into *any* computer I own without some kind of
adapter.

Then the fault is in your computer, not the GPS receiver. Serial ports
are probably the most common types of hardware computer-to-computer
interface in the world, (although Ethernet must be pretty common by now,
too).

No, I really want a nice GPS unit, but a serial port totally disqualifies
a unit from consideration.

Does running on old-fashioned AA batteries disqualify it as well? After
all, they were invented more than five years ago, so they can't be of
any use today.